The Long Ryders - any love from the forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paradoxguy, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Yes, great band. I have all their records on glorious 80's vinyl! Original pressings (UK). Over here they were one of many bands being frequently championed by the "alternate" music press / TV. The mainstream was full of midi keyboards, sludgey drum sounds and bad hair. These guys were part of an alternative "roots revival" music which didn't really exist in the UK. Our "indie" was (over-rated) rubbish like The Smiths, New Order and later on The Stone Roses.

Give me "Native Sons" over "The Stone Roses" any day.

2. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Stephen McCarthy was also playing with the Jayhawks, circa Rainy Day Music. Does not look like he's on the road with that lineup's reunion (at least according to the Jayhawks' site), but I've noted he tends to drop in whenever they come to DC.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Since Sid has leaked most of the studio stuff over the years, I don't believe there's much studio stuff (unique songs) still in the can to pad out a box, the best stuff has already been put out. I think there's one track from the 5x5 canceled EP, and a nice demo of If I Were A Carpenter. But live stuff--they could do a whole cd of oddball live songs, I bet. I would bet they'll put out the live songs they did with Chris Hillman.

4. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Coincidentally, I've been listening to the Long Ryders again recently. I recommend fans of the band check out Tom Stevens' 2006/2007 release Home. Tom was kind of the "George Harrison" of the Long Ryders. He also has some other stuff available (tracks recorded before the Long Ryders, an album from the mid-90s, and a digital EP from 2009 I've downloaded but not listened to yet).

Kingsley Fats and eelkiller like this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

That's great news! Hopefully it will be a box set containing the complete studio output of the Long Ryders and maybe the live material as well.

6. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Major love for them here. Been a fan since first hearing "Still Get By" on college radio back in the mid 1980s. Have it all on cds, including all of the post-Ryders Sid stuff. "Another Room" and "Points Revisited" are two excellent post-Ryders cds by Tom Stevens, some great music there. Somehow his "Home" release escaped my scrutiny, thanks arob71 for mentioning that. Will have to hear that!

A Long Ryders box? My oh my, the surprises are never ending these days; it's all becoming quite surreal.

arob71 likes this.
  7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thanks for the reminder on "Home", I grabbed a copy off Amazon. This is a gem especially this track.

zphage likes this.
  8. johnfoyle

johnfoyle Forum Resident

From a e-mail from Sid Griffin -

The Long Ryders play four shows in Spain the first week of December.

There are no other shows planned.

However there is a four CD Long Ryders box set coming out on Cherry Red Records in the first half of 2015 so, with luck and a fair wind, there will be Long Ryders concerts scheduled in your neck of the woods to accompany this box set release.

eelkiller, Satrus and manicpopthrill like this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Fun band, never broke through in the USA. I'm glad I grabbed the two-disc comp while it was available.

I file them mentally with True West, whose second album, DRIFTERS, had much the same vibe.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  10. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

The Long Ryders 4-CD boxset is due in September, and in this interview, Sid Griffin and Tom Stevens say that it'll include a live CD (with outtakes) featuring a band performance from 1985.

"(...) A lot of live and acoustic things that have never been released", said Tom Stevens. "It'll give more of a broad history of the band (which isn't necessarily reflected on the core albums) but all the good stuff from the core albums will be included as well."

Discussion of the boxset starts from the minute 8.50 onwards.

melstapler and manicpopthrill like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Good memory Ron! "Drifters" was a great album by True West, which best-defined the band's name. I wished their other LPs could've maintained that sound.

12. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  13. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

This is worth a trip to New York. I saw the Bottom Line gig that made up Three Minute Warning and it remains an all-time favorite show. And I was just thinking that I had not given the fairly recent box set nearly enough love lately, especially considering how much I was listening when it first came out.

Walt likes this.
  14. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I'll be able to walk to the New Haven, CT show... I never thought this would happen.

melstapler likes this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Seeing 'em in Boston. Always loved this band.

Walt and melstapler like this.
  16. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I just got the box set and have been devouring it like a cat in a tub full of tuna. Soooo good.

SteveFff and davers like this.
  17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Strummergas and Walt like this.
  18. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

From Sid's latest newsletter :

The Long Ryders have some surprises in store for their fans including further reissues on Cherry Red Records, some concert dates in 2018 and a special announcement to be made via this forum later this year!

eelkiller and Kingsley Fats like this.
  19. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

And more from Sid :

Hell freezes over!

For the first time in thirty years The Long Ryders are working on new studio recordings.

Three songs are already in the can and the guys are working on more. One will be released via Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, Pandora etc., etc., in April and the band hopes to finish an album by December.

Watch this space, music lovers!

Laibach, clhboa, eelkiller and 2 others like this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Who is mastering it? o_O
    Cherry Red label - I bet it will be compressed, an ear bleeder. :mad:
    Dreaded digi-pak I bet. :mad:

Just trying to make the thread fit the music corner theme. This is great news, thanks for posting.

Laibach, manicpopthrill and PJayBe like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen them once in Belgium/live
    around 1984/86.
    Remember thinking its
    The Byrds reincarnated.

22. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm a latecomer to the Ryders - better late than not to have discovered them at all!

Kingsley Fats and eelkiller like this.
  23. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

The Long Ryders have a newish website:

The Long Ryders - Final Wild Songs

Shows in California April 2017 listed here:

The Long Ryders - Final Wild Songs Tour Dates

I caught them last year on their European tour, and they were very good indeed - it was a great evening. And seeing the band fulfilled an ambition I had for 30 years! Since I became a fan in the 80s, I was never in the same place as a 'Ryders show. Then on the 2004 tour I went up to Dingwall's only to find that some on-line sources had listed the show on the wrong night and I missed it! I was just devastated...

If you can catch the band live some time, I would highly suggest you do so.

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Particularly since Translator is opening.

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

They'll never come back here. When the played here to support Tales, they maybe had a hundred audience. I was ashamed.