The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power Amazon TV Show*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

I find the OTT negative reactions to this, dismissing the whole thing before a single frame has even been seen, quite staggering.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

New to the internet, huh? :laugh:

marmalade166 and omikron like this.
  3. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

I was under the impression that there was very little CGI with the name reveal. Looking at the behind the scenes footage... it doesn't seem very CGI to me.

omikron, BeatleJWOL and SJP like this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

You guys are missing the point. If I think it looks bad, it's obviously that awful newfangled CGI stuff. If I think it looks good, it's clearly something lovingly crafted by hand in the real world.

New things bad, old things good.

:)

Pete Puma, fuzzface and omikron like this.
  5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I keep finding myself posting the refrain "haters gonna hate" way too much recently. Yes, with very little detail and no footage viewed by the masses how can anyone think this show is anything but a crappy crapfest for dumb jerks?
    Absolutely dumbfounded by people that ingest nothing but haterade

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Probably not as amazed as I am about how many people have absolutely no idea of what "hate" actually is.

Jim B. and Scott222C like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

That's fair. Bad opinions are not (necessarily. or at all in this case.) the same thing as hate :)

Jim B. and marmalade166 like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Hobbit. Ugh.

9. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

Personally I love all the films (yes including the Hobbit). Anything that gets more fans of the books the better. I completely understand that liberties have to be taken to translate books to film. Otherwise, the films would double in size and quantity, and the average non-fanatic wouldn't have the attention span to support a project of that size and scope. Yes, they changed a few things, but nothing that affected the whole of the stories. I accept them as they are... an attempt to jump from book media to film media.

Trust me, I could write a 10 page post about the changes they made to LOTR and Hobbit, but it would all.... essentially be.... irrelevant. :)

As a fan, I am looking forward to the show. :)

10. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Not that it has anything to do with the upcoming series but after The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies was release, The Hobbit book fell out of the most read books in British schools for the first time in 5 decades.

11. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I was hoping the trailer would actually give us something other than some neat effects. I'm still very skeptical of this show but would love to be proven wrong.

12. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

I am not familiar with the UK market, but Amazon in the US sees high upticks in reading of the story every time a new movie comes out. In October, the #1 read book according to Amazon was Dune due to the new movie. Same thing happened with the recent wheel of time series on Amazon. Robert Jordan books never sold so well previous to the show starting (I had all the first edition hardbacks of the books up to book 10 when I sold the set on eBay back in 2006). Game of thrones saw the same interest in the series when it showed up on TV. I would like to see what data sources you are referring to that would shed some additional light in the UK market.

13. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Respectfully, and while I understand your point, when I see "humanist perspectives from the well educated" I tend to run for the hills.

I think the point is that modern political tonalities may be uniquely ruinous for Tolken world building/story telling?

But..time will tell!

Wil1972 and funhouse like this.
  14. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Do the people of those "hills" instead prefer anti-humanist perspectives from the ignorant?

I kid, I kid.

Lars Medley and fairaintfair like this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Well, good!

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

No name cast? You mustn't watch a lot of TV or movies...

SJP, omikron and Phillip Walch like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

No Brad Pitt as Sauron, no deal! :laugh:

omikron, Phillip Walch and Curveboy like this.
  18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Even you can't spin that, it is a pretty unknown cast. Which is not necessarily a bad thing (see Game of Thrones) but don't pretend it's something it's not.

I have seen one of them in the great Saint Maud film but don't know nearly any of the others. And half don't even have a wiki page link lol.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I went to IMDB before I posted my comment and I stick by it.
    I mean, if you don't know who Sir Lenny Henry is I can't help you.

20. Brad Pitt as Annatar and Steven Buscemi as Sauron works for me ;).

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Carl Swanson

Correct. Most of it is dreck, good only for killing time, and not especially great even for that.

22. Carl Swanson

I know who Lenny Henry is... how'd he manage to get knighted?

23. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

For services to drama and charity.
    Good enough?

Curveboy likes this.
  24. Carl Swanson

Pretty vague, but let it go.

25. BeatleJWOL