1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

The Lost Version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles | A Docu-Mini

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Sure go ahead, censor the rental car scene...might as well remove the last 15 minutes of 2001 A Space Odyssey :D

Too bad Candy is no longer with us

Shawn likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The rental car scene is great. But it's the only non PG element in the whole film. Take it out, and it's truly a family film. So I can understand taking it out and broadening the viewership.

Scowl likes this.
  3. LouChang

LouChang her brother

It's there, but a version filmed with no F-bombs.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting. Do they bleep them, blank them, or replace them?

5. Boomy

Boomy Forum Resident

The blu ray is really cheap. You get that and you get all yer f-bombs

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It's replaced with alternate takes I believe. Her last line just skips to her laughing.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's the alternate no f words version of the scene.

It has been severely neutered. And the laugh at the end makes no sense. But at least it's family friendly:

LouChang likes this.
  8. LouChang

LouChang her brother

Yeah it's weird, but Steve Martin tries to make up for the lack of F----ng's with a growling delivery.
    I have the DVD somewhere but I misplaced it while moving earlier this year.

AMC is airing it again Thanksgiving Day at 12n EST, Saturday at 5pm EST and several more times into December.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Boomy likes this.
  9. LouChang

LouChang her brother

Apparently AMC isn't airing the movie at noon today, but it's still on their schedule for Saturday evening. Here's a video I found.

A 20-something cutie watches the movie for the first time. She has a good sense of humor. (It's also amusing that she thinks the El Rancho motel room would have a minibar, and that John Candy died "recently.")

I love that this movie can resonate with people across the decades and generations, as great movies do.

10. Boomy

Boomy Forum Resident

I think it’s staying power is pretty damn good. Has great comedy and drama.

A lot of young people will never understand the concept of having to wait in a line to use a phone, however :0

LouChang likes this.