The Mamas & The Papas: Complete Singles - 50th Anniversary Collection - 2 CD Set (Real Gone Music)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Batears52, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right, Steve has said on these forums that these are not very well recorded masters. But he used his secret sauce to get better sound out of them than anyone else.

D-rock likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Where do they mention that?

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Nate-O-Phonic likes this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How does Twelve Thirty and I Saw Her Again sound on this?
    My favorites.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    pablo fanques likes this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yeah, I remember reading a post that detailed the actual EQ moves Steve used as a starting point for remastering Dunhill recordings..

8. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I don't remember seeing that either.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm wondering about this as well:

I can't seem to find that either.

10. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

I just got my copy here at work today and listened during my lunch break in my car. I thought "I Saw Her" sounded fabulous. I only got to "Creeque Alley" before heading back in so can't comment on "Twelve Thirty". Very happy so far with what I've heard. Bravo, Real Gone Music!!

chacha and pobbard like this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Just finished listening to the set.

I did a needledrop of the mono second album years ago, and while it arguably sounds quite a bit better than the Sundazed CD, the transfers here (whether from tape or vinyl) are better. Interestingly there's quite a bit more high end; not sure if that's a matter of mastering EQ or the sources used, but I think it sounds good.

The transfers are for the most part very good. While I was able to detect some needledrops, for the most part they aren't obvious at all. If I hadn't been putting things under a microscope, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell they weren't from tape. The only exceptions would be a few of the Cass Elliot solo tracks, where apparently better copies simply couldn't be located. I know that battle all too well.

I'm not really familiar with the original 45s, but the EQ is fairly pleasing, and there don't seem to be any "nasties" (noise reduction, limiting, etc) to cause any concern.

Short of a cache of tapes showing up in (presumably) some foreign vault, I'd say this is likely this is the best this material will sound. Which, for the most part, is quite good, considering the nature of the original recordings anyway.

Jon H., Man at C&A, PBo and 20 others like this.
  12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Same here. I do remember reading quotes about this but I can't find it in the booklet either. Maybe it was actually from a previous post by Aaron or Ed regarding the issues RGM were facing about the sound of the mono tracks.

13. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

You know, I bet this was told to me directly by Ed after his interview with Lou. For some reason I thought it made the booklet, but I must be mistaken.

lukpac likes this.
  14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its strange. I literally just read (within the last couple days at most) the Lou Adler statement you referred to -- as well as the reference to Dunhill tape purge I cited above. I just got this CD 2 days ago, and I thought I read them in the booklet. However... I have also been reading the Real Gone website and the Steppenwolf Complete Singles booklet, plus some Hoffman forum posts all in the last day or two as well, so I'm obviously mixing up where I read 'em. Its a mash up!

*edit* the tape purge reference is on the Real Gone website for this CD..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Hep Alien and Myke like this.
  15. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

look what arrived in the mail today
    :wave:
    [​IMG]

16. Myke

Enjoying my copy very much. In 1966, I was 7 - 8, and remember how these sounded over the Chicago AM airwaves, through a hand-held transistor radio, or playing inside a department store...like these !!!

Great job Aaron !

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently lstening to this.
    Looks nice next to this.
    All we need now is a nice 'Real Gone' release from Denny.

Darryl

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

19. johnsmusicbox

johnsmusicbox Forum Resident

You're right about the Easy Rider, but the "jingle jangle" friend was Steve Brandt. Oh, and the drunken gigolo in the song was Denny.

Hep Alien, pablo fanques and pobbard like this.
  20. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

21. johnsmusicbox

johnsmusicbox Forum Resident

No idea if he ever did any songwriting. He was a gossip columnist for Photoplay, and in the circle of friends that included Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, and them (of which John Phillips was also a part). Steve killed himself by taking 22 pills of something at age 30 in 1969, depressed over Sharon's death.

22. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Huh. I didn't think it was possible for "April Anne" to be any more bitter... I guess I was wrong. :eek:

23. Myke

24. bbirch

bbirch Forum Resident

We visited with Michelle for a while before she went out to the signing — with Aaron Kannowski at Amoeba Music.

Congratulations MYKE. Wow! Very cool ...

25. Myke

No, Mrs. Aaron made that post, not me. I'm just proud of the young man, and the music he's given us.

bbirch and kanno1ae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.