The Mandalorian-Star Wars Live Action Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I wonder if Season 3 will see Grogu being trained in the Dagobar system!!

2. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Agreed, at its best, this series is the best thing since the original trilogy. I'd wager you could edit the 1st 2 seasons into 2 or 3 fantastic feature length movies.

Shawn likes this.
  3. Right, but 40 years later The Empire has tech to siphon all of the energy from a sun and weaponize it to destroy entire solar systems, yet they can't hold a charge on a robot? I call bull ****. :) Like how Luke's lightsaber in The Force Awakens can't cut through a Storm Trooper's gauntlet, yet it can slice through a Dark Trooper like butter 40 years earlier. :rolleyes:

Still, it's fun stuff. But in just 3 years I've had a phone that had to be charged once a day. Now I can go a day and half before a charge, and it only takes 40 minutes to top it. "Dark Troopers" my ass. :p

SJP likes this.
  4. Peace N. Love

Have they confirmed there will be a 3rd Mando season. With Disney running amok with spin offs and new series, I've lost track.

Personally, I'd be in for a spin off with Nick Nolte and his IG droid.

jeffreybh likes this.
  5. Peace N. Love

Sure but can your phone fly and engage in combat?

6. Yeah season 3 is confirmed. Launch date of December 25 2021. Gonna be a long wait.

7. No, but I'm saying that, weight to power ratio, if China can do it in 3 years, then The Empire should be able to power a super-Droid in 40 years, especially if they have the tech to suck a sun from existence.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  8. The Empire isn’t the brightest bulb in the universe, don’t forget they built the Death Star with an open hole in it, a shot from a fighter was all it took to blow it up due to this patently obvious design flaw!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. David Kellar

David Kellar Forum Resident

I doubt it. Yoda only went there to hide from the Empire.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I think this is the weakest point of the entire series. As others have pointed out, the original Star Wars series isn't really science fiction, it's more fantasy. The technology often doesn't make sense, and in the original trilogy, it didn't really matter. The problem is, that in the sequels and prequels, they tried to turn it in to science fiction, but that doesn't work when the technology doesn't make sense, and you don't explain any of it.

That was the thing that really bugged me in The Last Jedi was the whole bit about the ships running out of fuel. It never mattered before. If, all of a sudden, it's going to matter, you need to have a *really* good technological reason why it should.

Thing is, they could have easily explained why robots weren't used anymore. It could be, after the clone wars, it was decided that robots suck. Or that only one imperial base knew how to build advanced, effective combat robots, but that base was blown up and all the engineers were killed. But there is no explanation, at least in the shows I watch. I guess you have to watch all the other animated series, and read the comic books, and expanded novelizations to understand everything. That doesn't lend itself to an entirely satisfying viewing experience, though.

Solaris, EVOLVIST and GentleSenator like this.
  11. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

Loved the Mandalorian

GRompre68, jbmcb, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  12. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I was wondering the same thing.

It appears that they have wrapped it up with Grogu going off with Luke for training. Also, what about a ship? He's going to need one with Boba now on Tatoinne as Boba the Hut.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Time for more Mando business. We still have the Darksaber left unresolved. Presumably all the Mandos are off on Gideon's cruiser, dropped Cara Dune and Moff Gideon off somewhere, and have a big ol' mess on their hands still. Yay.

Shawn and Solaris like this.
  14. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

Agreed!! The great final will be unforgettable!

15. Will the Frog People get a spin-off? Maybe a comedy with a laugh track...

16. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I think the reason the Mandalorian hits all the sweet spots that the prequels and sequels don't (for some),is that the series itself isn't competing directly with, for a lack of a better term,our childhoods.

Until the last few Episodes of this season ,this series has stayed away largely from anything that conflict with our childhood ideal of Star Wars and our memories beyond sharing some of the aesthetics and settings. Virtually all new characters,mostly new planets, and until Ashoka showed up,not a Jedi in sight. And yes ,we got Boba Fett,but honestly this Boba Fett is almost an entirely different character than we saw in the actual films themselves. This Boba is our Action figure fantasy ideal of Boba brought to life. John Wick in a battered green helmet and a rocket pack.

Same can be said for this version of Luke Skywalker. Much like the Luke we saw in the last Jedi, he wasn't what we got before. We got an all powerful living embodiment of all of the imagined adventures we staged for Luke with our action figures. It tickled the "my childhood" part of our Fandom brains in a way the sequels didn't. That isn't a good thing or a bad thing really,it just is. Doesn't make either "the right way" or the "wrong way". To me it's equally satisfying to see the action figure ideal of Luke juxtaposed with a more nuanced and complex portrayal of the Same man 25 years later after dealing with crushing defeat.

The Luke scene was thrilling to watch no doubt, no one can deny, but my only fear is that Lucasfilm,eager to please and pander and get approval from the fanbase, will lean heavier and heavier into fan service and trying to cater to our collective child goods without attempting to create new childhoods for new audiences. A dose of fan service here and there isn't the worst thing,but constantly trying to go home again will eventually kill this franchise.

I hope that aside from another Luke cameo bringing Grogu to visit Din that The Mandalorian largely keeps away from fan service cameos from OT characters and keeps to its lane as it continues.

17. David Campbell

18. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

You bring up some good points. I have to say my heart jumped through the roof as the end of the last episode played out. Wow, what a feeling! Perhaps only to those of us of a certain age, but still, it felt like 15 episodes led us up to that point. What a payoff!

Looking back though, will it hold up to multiple viewings? Was it best for the long term, or a gimmick that only works once, and especially so if it's a surprise. You can bet that someone watching The Mandalorian for the first time in 10 years time will likely know what's coming. Still I got a delight out of it that I seriously doubt can be elicited out of me with new characters.

The news of Mark Hamill being on set makes me even happier, though I have no rational reason why. I can't wait to see a picture of that without any de-aging applied to him.

Now, about that process. Yes, even on the first viewing it felt off to me. It's been a while, but it was a same as when I was watching Rogue One. "Pretty cool, but that's not real, or even old footage". Honestly, I thought the tech may have improved in the past 4 years. But at least they kept Mark's screen time with his face visible short and his dialog minimal. And I loved that his name was never mentioned.

But it opens up a can of worms. With all the new spin-offs announced, you've got to imagine that Han Solo will make an appearance at some point. But do I want that? It's hard to admit, but probably not. I think I prefer it only if (a) it's vintage, unused footage from 1977-1983, or (b) modern footage but with Han at the appropriate age as Harrison, as in the sequels. There's something hollow about trying to insert a CGI Luke into major parts of the story, and I'm not just talking about the uncanny valley effect.

So I really enjoyed it, but I also think that shouldn't do this often unless (a) or (b) applies.

19. David Campbell

Agreed with all of this. I don't mind this sort of thing and,while yes,its a big galaxy, given the circles Mando and his allies travel in,there's bound to be overlap with some familiar faces,either directly or indirectly. As long as this doesn't end up as a crutch,I don't have a problem with it. Hopefully the focus continues on our new characters.

As for Mark's cameo and the behind the scenes, Disney+ just announced the other day that on Christmas day they are releasing a new episode of Disney Gallery going into the behind the scenes of season 2 of the Mandolorian. Hopefully we will get the full story on Mark Hamill's appearance.

JAuz and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

We are watching it now, just started second season, and I find it kind of boring. I feel like they really never move the main story along, very little character development, lots of one-off episodes where the Mando says 'I'm trying to get him back to his people' and that's the entirety of the plot moving forward, you know, the main goal to get the kid back to wherever he's from. I don't care about tie-ins or guest appearances to give it relevance, I just want a good story. Maybe I should watch Mad Men again. I think right now it's a 3/5 for me. Should I keep watching?

21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i fell asleep around this point .... tho i admit to watching late at night lol .... it picks up tho. hang in there, as i know what you mean regarding these particluar eps ....

GentleSenator and 131east23 like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It is a dreary, poorly written series with weak dialogue. I struggled through the whole thing but I will admit that the last two episodes were worth the wait. Glad the thing is over though.

131east23 and FACE OF BOE like this.
  24. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I think people are just relieved that The Mandalorian isn't TLJ (or TFA or TROS). Personally, I don't understand all the accolades the show has been getting - I though it was OK without being particularly great (there was a lot of padding over the sixteen episodes).

And now the spin-off is getting its own spin-off! Yay.

Purple Jim likes this.
  25. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.