The Mandalorian-Star Wars Live Action Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't think that Ashoka "is going to be a continuation of Rebels because they're trying to win back the old fans" as much as Filoni is continuing the story he started and the characters he created. The Rebels series ended with some big questions; it seems natural that Filoni would continue to tell that story. It strikes me as a rather bitter and cynical take to say that it's going to be continuation just to "win back the old fans" when it's just the most natural and obvious story for them to do. I don't have great hopes for the show, because the series have been a hit or miss in recent times, but I look forward to hearing how it does and will check it out.

And re: bitter and cynical fan takes, the hate for Kathleen Kennedy is always a big red flag for me, because it's nonsense. Kennedy as a producer/executive producer has worked some films like, um, Gremlins, Back to the Future, E.T., The Goonies, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Cape Fear, the IMO excellent Rogue One, Indiana Jones, and plenty more. She's not a writer on these things, she's had hits and many misses that I would just as easily lay the blame on others for. She was a producer on both The Book of Boba Fett and Andor; the former I thought was a huge missed opportunity, nearly embarrassing, while the latter is one of the better TV series I've seen in a long time (Star Wars or not.) So clearly what she does as producer is highly dependent on the work of writers, directors, creators, etc. It's become a kind of dog whistle to single her out for reasons other than anything she has actually done or hasn't done.

3. darth caedus

darth caedus Do not be a magician - be magic!

you're missing one big point as to the criticism of KK. when she took over, she discarded the stories that lucas had planned, which she agreed to follow, and decided to make star wars her toy. she decided that it could be used to promote feminism and only hired feminist writers, so far, who cares, right? as part of her feministic vision for the films she wanted rey to be 'herself' as lucas had with luke. however the big difference is, whilst it took luke 3 films to be a jedi, it took rey about 3 minutes to be one of the most powerful jedis, and to own te falcon and be chewie's new bff. rey was immediately perfect which removes 90% of the purpose of storytelling. the problem with the sequels was that they were extremely bad story telling made on her agenda by people she hired to full fill it. the other films you mention had, um, lucas and spielberg, for example, handling the creative side.

[​IMG]

Motorcity supernaut and teodoro like this.
  4. simonux

simonux Custom Title

The point is the movies are not good because the storie is not good and this is not because of feminism.

SRC and ad180 like this.
  5. darth caedus

...you miss my point. i'm explaining why the stories are not good by giving background information. i guess you would say it rains because it rains, nothing to do with the water cycle?

DementedAvenger and teodoro like this.
  6. simonux

simonux Custom Title

There is no background information needed. The movies are not good because the people in charge of writing were not good for that job whatever the storie they wanted to tell.

SRC and Smokin Chains like this.
  7. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Yawn.

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

It still blows my mind that they made a sequel trilogy without writing a story arc.

NettleBed, aroney and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Ah, thanks for confirming my suspicion - you are upset about a t-shirt, and then a bunch of stuff you made up in your mind. The sequels were bad but you don't blame the actual writers and directors, you put the blame on a producer and the biggest criticism/evidence you have about her is that she wore a female-empowerment type t-shirt; that speaks volumes, no further discussion needed here!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Ah, but SRC, you're missing the big picture here.

Girls? They're icky :) and definitely shouldn't be in charge of anything ever because that might encourage other women and then where, the manly men that we are, would we be?

11. darth caedus

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”
    ― Bertrand Russell

unclefred and robertawillisjr like this.
  12. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

so you mean, instead of crafting a story where the character goes from zero to hero, like in harry potter, kennedy hired writers to make rey instantly a hero, missing out all of the development that luke skywalker had to go through to be a jedi?

darth caedus likes this.
  13. darth caedus

yes, a story with a message is fine. a message without a story is bad cinema and as KK was overseeing the story devlopment, chosing which writers to hire (rian johnson, for example) and approving the productions and casting, just as lucas or spielberg et al did before when she worked for them, then she is responsible.

14. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

There were sequels? I pretend those POS never happened...;)

15. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

And here is a picture of the art/cover work at blu-ray.com: The Mandalorian: The Complete First and Second Season 4K Blu-ray

I haven't follows this thread (b/c I don't have Disney as a streaming service), but one fan (at IMDB) said that The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars series since the original trilogy. Consensus opinion or outlier?

MikaelaArsenault and omikron like this.
  18. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I'll disagree. Is it entertaining? Yes. But I think Clone Wars Season 7 and Rebels are the best Star Wars content since the originals.

townsend likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This puts a fan in the position of either trusting his gut instinct about whatever version of the franchise he is watching. Yet there is always an expectation of either continuity of narrative, dramatic/narrative "beats" that need to mimic those that have come before, or what happens when the showrunners/directors/producers upset the apple cart, to bring you something you totally didn't anticipate or intuit. Lotta word salad to play around with, but valid concerns.

When re-appraising a known franchise, you always ask the dedicated fan, "how did you like it", and it's always through the rose-colored glasses of what they already know. Well, of course the fan knows the material enough to either recognize it as a part of "canon", or easily see where those in charge, didn't have as much invested in continuity, as the fan may have wanted. Getting past all that though, to show the fan something unique and not seen before in a familiar universe, you still need to give them enough to get them to conclude, "I liked it".

And that's a delicate balancing act between being too familiar to really show anybody something new, or being familiar enough with what you've shared in the past, for the viewer to at least recognize, this is a legitimate direction the story could have gone, even if it wasn't the direction you had in your head. But, the hardest thing for the fan to have to trust is, that the person/s in charge of giving them a new chapter, was in charge of that, and the fan...was not. And there has to be some maturity in trusting the source, for having a right to be...the source.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    MikaelaArsenault and ad180 like this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Best live action Star Wars since the OT. I say that not having watched Andor, which many adore.

vegafleet and townsend like this.
  21. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Tough call as Rogue One and now Andor are great too, but Mandalorian Seasons 1 & 2 are right up there (third season while still enjoyable didn't reach the heights of the first two seasons).

22. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

23. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I'd say consensus opinion. To think of it objectively from a $ persepctive, I haven't heard of any other series getting a blu-ray release.

Andor for different reasons I think will end up taking the cake for me. It is the most adult and dramatically serious of the shows by far. It's the most rewarding beyond eye candy and fan callback imagery.

Plan9, MikaelaArsenault and townsend like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

25. MikaelaArsenault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.