The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - the 5th (& final!!) season has ended...*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, season 3 was amazing! Damn, this show just keeps getting better and better. I loved every moment. They just keep moving through the times and capturing the (stylized) spirit of the era, from the visuals to the soundtrack. Marvelous!

2. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Agreed, but couldn't help noticing that in one scene a power cord was plugged into a Decora wall outlet. Those didn't actually appear until the 1970's.

That's a tiny quibble, though. I think this is a fantastic show, and hugely entertaining. The opening scenes of S3 E1 are absolutely amazing. In all of S3, I think the lighting is just fantastic in all the live performance scenes.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The last few episodes started to lose me last season and the first episode of this season reminded me why.

For all of the brilliance in production terms, they still just don't have any deeply likable characters. They are trying to swing Joel that way but not sure that has much hope. Her dad going to see Lenny Bruce came off as forced and inorganic just like almost everything they try.

Susie comes closest to being the character I like but her truck driver dialog is so overcooked they have just not developed her personality well at all, IMO. It comes off as phony and inauthentic. In fact I find the writing so "cutesy" in general that it is a bit hard to digest how much they throw at the chalkboard in almost every scene.

They almost never allow this show to breath and it's frustrating trying to root for it because of the colors and filming when the dialogue is often just pitiful.

Johnny Action and mooseman like this.
  4. Just finished all 8 of season three Brilliant from start to finish. I kinda saw the ending coming after the Apollo, but still stunned.

5. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Funny, everything you don't like about the show is what I like about it and what I think makes it great.

6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I agree with you, I tried going back to this show a few times but there’s just something about the characters in this show that rub me the wrong way.

Johnny Action likes this.
  7. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Finished episode 5 of the current season last night, and it may just be one of the most perfect TV episodes I've ever seen. I just loved the banter between Midge and Lenny. There's so much going on.

Possibly the only slight problem I have with Midge is she's almost too perfect and polished as an act.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

We watched the first 2 episodes of this season last night, it's SO good. I appreciated the first episode being holiday-themed but not overly so. The dirty beatniks invading the apartment was hilarious.

So happy it's still really strong in its third season.

BTW, this is the first time we're able to watch in 4K after getting a new Apple TV a couple weeks back. It's more eye-popping than ever. Holy smokes, real demo quality here. I love that they do mostly practical shooting and mainly use CGI to properly "age" backgrounds. It feels so lush and real.

dan c

trumpet sounds likes this.
  9. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Finished season 3, episode 4 last night. All I can say is I’m sure gonna miss that apartment! :p

Panama Hotel and notesfrom like this.
  10. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I've been re-watching the first 2 seasons to get back into the spirit of this show. I'm seeing lots of things I missed the first time around.

The funny thing is that if I were to read a summary of the major plot points, I would think this show has everything I do not like about TV drama. And yet I really like this show. They must be doing something right... (in addition to the fantastic visual work).

Will be ready to start Season 3 pretty soon...

Steve Litos and George P like this.
  11. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I pretty much love this show and find it much more palatable than "Gilmore Girls", which was way more fake-cutesy and fake-witty than this show is. In Maisel, it seems more authentic.

One question: was "Ask" ever used as a noun before about ten years ago? I keep hearing it in this show and it throws me off every time because I swear I never heard the word "ask" used as a noun until quite recently. Was it a show-biz thing? With how authentic the show is mostly to the era it is meant to portray, I'm not really sure.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

I'm pretty sure it's a show-biz thing. It sure sounds like it.

Electric and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  13. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Ah. Found this in a NY Times article.

"“Ask” has been used as a noun for a thousand years — though the way we most often encounter it today, with a modifier (“a big ask”), is a 1980s development."

14. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, I'll forgive them a few jarring (modern) notes...

I'll even forgive them trying to show characters watching a "daytime" version of "To Tell the Truth" in 1960, when the daytime show didn't actually start until 1962 (with a different panel than the nighttime show!)

- Kevin

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

There's an awful lot of emphasis on Moishe not wearing pants this season.

Madness likes this.
  16. Electric

Tony Shalhoub is the sexiest man alive.

17. Electric

The Exotica club scene with Lenny Bruce - WOW!

18. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Agreed-- that was a stunner!

- Kevin

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I really like this show but I’m having trouble remembering how S2 ended. Fact is, there’s too many good shows on too many streaming services and I cannot keep up of late. I intend to get to S3 soon.

20. Electric

I'm kidding!

George P likes this.
  21. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

One thing I thought I noticed - Carol was left handed most of the way through but played right handed in the last episode. Was I imagining that?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

George Costanza!

23. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

The Carol Kaye type character is named Carole Keen on the show, so I'm sure they took some liberties with Kaye's real life story.

notesfrom likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recognized Jason Alexander by his voice at first.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Me too!

Great season. With all the different plotlines, it seems they (rightly) feel this will go for several more seasons.

EVOLVIST likes this.