The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - the 5th (& final!!) season has ended...*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Omg, looks spectacular. Can't wait!

dan c

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"I'm the Greatest Star." Perfect for this show.

I don't know him very well, but DP David Mullen is a casual acquaintance and he seems to feel the second season gets better.

Dan C likes this.
  3. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

We're in for a long, cold, wet weekend with no obligations. So I asked my friend if she'd like to binge on the Bodyguard series. She replied that she'd rather see The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel again. This will be our THIRD viewing since its original run! C'mon season 2.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  4. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

Anyone know if this series will ever have a dvd release?

5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Season 2 Dec 5!!!

GentleSenator, dgstrat and Dan C like this.
  6. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I just subscribed to Prime and started watching this. I like it a lot. but my one pet peeve with this and other period series like it is the dialog. This is supposedly the late 50s / early 60s, but they got them using 21st century terms/phrases like "nerd" and "it is what it is." Come On!!! I assume it comes down to a staff of young writers that either haven't done enough research or don't think anyone cares or the audience is too young or stupid to appreciate hearing people talk the way they did at that time.

lschwart and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nah, this is an Amy Sherman-Palladino production, so you can expect clever, peppy, fast talkin' dialog which is borne out of modern pop-culture (see Gilmore Girls or Bunheads). I think that takes precedence over slavish devotion to historic linguistic accuracy.

8. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

“Nerd” entered the lexicon in the early 1950s. According to the Oxford English Dictionary , the first known published use of “nerd” was in a 1951 article in Newsweek, which declared, “In Detroit, someone who once would be called a drip or a square is now, regrettably, a nerd.” The term then made its way into other publications; linguist Ben Zimmer reports that William Morris, an influential lexicographer, included “nerd” in his “Real Gone Lexicon,” a guide to teen slang, in 1954. Morris defined the word as “a square, one who is not up with the times.”

Where Did The Word "Nerd" Come From?

Just layin' this out there. :)

9. Bodyguard is a very good series with some nice twists and turns.

10. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Yes, I read that its origin dates back to the era. However, I don't think it became part of common everyday speech of people until much later, maybe even as recently as the computer age, with pocket protector tech geeks referred to as "computer nerds." As you suggested, "drip" or "square" were more frequently used by people of my age at least in the mid-60s, along with other non-PC terms.

lschwart likes this.
  11. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Not familiar with the other work. But you ain't kidding with the "clever, peppy, fast talking'" dialog. Phew! It's hard to keep up sometimes. Almost like a 1930s screwball comedy. Ya get me?! :laugh:

JDeanB and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I recall, even Mad Men snuck some modern idioms and slang into its portrayal of the 60s. It’s almost impossible not to do so. On the other hand, the Crown went so far into having Claire Foy speak in 1940s and 1950s upper crust British English that you got pronunciations, which I’m assuming are historically accurate, that sound odd to modern ears, such as her saying “Thenk you” instead of “Thank you.”

SomeCallMeTim and Mickey2 like this.
  13. Deesky

I get you, but that's been ASP's signature going back at least to 2000 (Gilmore Girls). If you like that kind of thing, than I would recommend that you take a look at GG, which often has even more rapid-fire, funny exchanges.

Mickey2 likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Actually, I think it's a valid nit to pick; it can still take the viewer out of the world they otherwise work hard to portray. Justifying the word "nerd" by pointing to a dusty old reference doesn't mean anything, if nobody back then except people who write dusty old references, was using it. I'm no expert on things that happened before I remember them (well, DUH), but you can still be clever, peppy, rapid-fire and all the other adjectives associated with the Palladinos, and still check your work.

Make no mistake, I'd slit both wrists to see Amy cast in a revival of The West Wing (just to see her walk down a hallway with Josh, and pepper him with Gilmore-isms while he's laying-down Sorkin beats; oh, maaaan...). But if that Mad-Hatter chapeau at The Oscars taught us anything, it's that she's not infallible...

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Establishing when certain words, especially slang words, entered common usage is an inexact science at best. Obsessing over this show’s use 0f one word, which clearly did exist in the 50s, strikes me as an incredibly minor nit to pick.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Obsessing"? No, not quite. Do you like boom mics at the top of your screen? Mustangs in 1950's films? Starfleet redshirts aboard the Imperial Death Star? "Just let it go, dude, you're obsessing...!"

Either it's a mistake, or it's not a mistake. When a director does a presentation at Comic-Con, and somebody points out you don't measure the Kessel Run in parsecs, you say, "yeah, I shoulda used a measure of time, not distance - dummy me". You don't say, "well, yeah, nobody back then really used the term, but I have this little-known social research paper from a drawer in a dead professor's desk...".

So, I stuck up for somebody who made a valid point. Then I suggested it's Does that mean, "obsessing" because you have to read about some little criticism you didn't care about three times on one page?

Of COURSE it's an incredibly minor nit to pick. Also, everybody knows, you measure the Kessel Run in litres, not parsecs...but it doesn't change the dialog, the scene, or the whole freaking trilogy. Han is still a qualified pilot.

But it is a nit...and it requires picking.

17. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Series 2 is great, even with a few stutters. Shaloub is a scene stealer, again.

Dan C and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  19. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

20. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Did he say “**** sweet!” At 14:50.5 in the 1st episode?

21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

We’ve watched two episodes of season 2, absolutely loving it so far. I still can’t get over how gorgeous this show is.

Just read an article today that it’s all shot in and around NYC. The “clean up” FX staff stays extremely busy removing all the modern giveaways. ATMs, security cameras, buildings, etc.

dan c

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh, the scene with Susie exploring the Weissman apartment where we discover she not only plays piano impossibly well, she also has perfect pitch :laugh::laugh:...it’s a throwaway gag, but it’s perfect and encapsulates so much about what makes this so great.

dan c

23. Deesky

I'm also two eps in and yes, it does (still) look gorgeous. I wasn't really a fan of the French detour - they pretty much hit all the French cultural cliches and tropes (it was like watching an episode of 'Allo ' Allo!). However, I did like the inventive New York/Paris dissolve and how Midge managed to do am impromptu standup routine in the French nightclub.

Some nice music production to go with the visuals - liking it so far.

24. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

four episodes in and LOVING sea 2. give Tony Shalhoub the Emmy without delay.

alan967tiger, ghostdwg, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I trust some of the poster’s opinions in this thread implicitly (particularly the OP), but I cannot bring myself to watch this. Why??? All indications are it’s great, but I’m still just ‘meh’ when thinking about it.

Halp!!!

carrick doone and 905 like this.