The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - the 5th (& final!!) season has ended...*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Dec 1, 2017.

1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Push yourself to watch say the first two episodes of season one and if not for you move on

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

anyone else finish season 2 yet? i found the finale to be pretty ho-hum and more "off" compared to the rest of the series.

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Well, she’s right on the cusp of fame. At a crossroads with her relationships, too. I think it’s a very solid climax to the season in that it leaves us wanting more....

BNell and trumpet sounds like this.
  4. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Glad I found this thread, I just watched the first two eps of Season 1 last weekend and was blown away. I can see I'm not the only one. :)

I was breaking in a new monitor and new sound system, and this show really let it all strut its stuff. Amazing visuals, and such a good sound track. I can't wait to get caught up with the rest of the episodes.

That's all I got for now, carry on...

5. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I can sympathize. If I had heard a summary of this show I might never have watched it. It isn't anything like my usual fare.

I was just browsing and this show came up as "Recommended." I remembered hearing it was a good show so on impulse I started watching...and I was captivated from the first scene.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I just hooked my Amazon Fire Stick up that I got for Christmas last year. We have Amazon Prime and my wife and I both want to check it out.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ll check it oot.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Tony Shalhoub is terrific in this, as are Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein.

9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This show is beyond good. Somehow I wish the title were different - I can't seem to get others motivated to watch it. Their loss I guess...

musicarus and GentleSenator like this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm with you, but something about the episode as a whole seemed pretty pedestrian compared the the stellar 9 that preceded it.

all in all, what a great show this continues to be. i raised my eyebrow initially at the detours to france & the catskills, but when it was all over i really felt like i'd been on a journey. the best shows that i've ever watched accomplished the same.

oh and have i said yet that tony shaloub is the best? this may be his best work.

11. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I don't disagree, but I think it's partly because this season-ending episode was meant to convey the drudgery of the road -- as opposed the whirlwind of life back in NYC -- and how it wore her down. She came close very close to abandoning her dream when the phone rang and her whole life changed. The final scene with her husband was emotionally powerful, but only because of what led up it.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My younger niece recommended the series, although I think she sought it out because she was a fan of the producers previous series The Gilmore Girls and Bunheads. I'm watching the whole series so I can talk to her about it, like I have Harry Potter fanfiction with her older sister.

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

A couple episodes into the latest season and still enjoying it immensely. Great show!

JDeanB likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

As a recovering ventriloquist myself, my favorite part of the show so far is the ventriloquist whose puppet committed suicide.

16. Chris DeVoe

Thanks for sharing that, but I disagree with it. For instance he compares her to Joan Rivers. The thing is, her material is a whole lot funnier than Joan Rivers ever was (I still love the National Lampoon's summary of Joan Rivers, that she had a long career in comedy without actually ever saying anything funny, she just talked loud.)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    a customer, jlocke08, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The first episode has a 90-second shot that is unbelievable. Here's a behind-the-scenes video showing how they did it. Just stunning -- I had no idea a special articulated arm was used on the Arri Alexa shooting the scene.

F 'em if they can't take a joke. I love the show -- this is a rare series that's gotten better with each episode. Being a fallen Presbyterian myself, I know very little about Jewish culture (particularly of the early 1960s), so the whole thing is very informative and interesting to me -- aside from having at least a couple of dozen knock-down funny laughs per show.

18. Chris DeVoe

Is that a Steadicam Tango?

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

she makes some valid points in her criticism, but the whole thing feels irrelevant. i never felt mislead about the intent of this show, and anachronisms aside, i find it neither alienating or disingenuous.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

One of the things I got from that review was that the author devalued stories with a positive outcome. I've seen this a lot, and gave up reading mainstream contemporary fiction in the early 90s because I was tired of authors writing protagonists who were miserable and tortured, who seemed to believe that the only works of great literary value are those in which nobody was happy.

Vidiot and GentleSenator like this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm actually a fan of the author of that article for the most part, but it feels like she wanted something from the show that didn't promise to be there and continued to disappoint herself. i guess i should also state that i'm neither jewish or a woman, but i never felt like this was a show targeting a specific audience beyond those who just like fast talking, witty shows with awesome overall aesthetics.

22. Chris DeVoe

I'm looking at that again, and it appears that the guy moving the camera is not actually aiming it, that he's getting it into a position, but there is another operator controlling pan and tilt remotely to actually frame the shot.

23. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Finally a show where the main characters are all pretty likeable and aren't committing felonies every five minutes! What's not to like?:righton:

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

THIS IS AWESOME!!! My jaw dropped at that shot and I was hoping there'd be a sneak look behind the camera. Thanks!

dan c

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a custom Freefly Systems rig with a remote hot-head, remote focus, gyros, and all that stuff. Very, very complicated. I thought it was some kind of massive snorkel lens system and a complicated crane, and I was amazed that the women didn't have to completely roll their chairs back as the scene progressed.

I like the characters because they're flawed, they're smart, they're interesting, they're very articulate, they're emotional, but they also have passion about one specific thing they're trying to do. None of them are deliberate a$$hole$, but they have rough edges that are understandable, caustic, but often very funny, yet hide very real problems. There's an amazing dynamic as all the characters bounce off each other and careen all over the city. I was initially surprised they worked Lenny Bruce into the story, but he's actually got some interesting plot elements of his own (as in one of the last episodes where he finally gets on the Steve Allen Show). It was fantastic to see all those old RCA TK-41 early color cameras set up and moving around.