The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - the 5th (& final!!) season has ended...*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I checked out some videos by FreeFly Systems last night, and I'm amazed at how well the system works with how little lag. It's getting to the point than anything a director can imagine, a talented crew can deliver.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I was very surprised by this. And DP David Mullen is second-to-none at delivering stunning pictures week after week. The show looks very close to how I remember the (very distant) early 1960s.

My partner spotted one rare anachronism: there was a scene at the Summer Camp where Suzie held up a plumber's helper, and there was a barcode price-tag inside it. :eek::eek::eek: Uh, they didn't have those in 1959 (or 1960). Price codes only really started in about 1974, though the technology existed in the 1950s (but was only used in science labs, railway cars, and other specialty industries).

Dan C and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

I finally started on season 2, a line has me giggling like a fool - after an impromptu set/confession/therapy session in a Parisian drag bar, a fellow New Yorker hands her a business card for a psychiatrist "... who had done wonders for my friend Sylvia Plath."

notesfrom, Vidiot and GentleSenator like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I thought, "wow, how many people are gonna get that reference?" (Plath was a very neurotic, depressed writer who was in and out of mental institutions for years, had electroshock therapy, and gassed herself to death in an oven. I dimly remember my parents talking about Plath in the early 1960s and that the incident got some major headlines at the time.)

musicarus and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Anyone who read more than two issues of The New Yorker?

As Steve Allen said, "Comedy is tragedy plus time."

rmath84, GentleSenator and Vidiot like this.
  6. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Great show! Finally something without a gun being pulled out every 2 minutes and argument resolution without violence.
    Enjoyed the Yoko Ono reference in the gallery scene.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Dan C, Deesky and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

I know! One would think my life was incomplete because I've never had to pull a gun on anyone, nor had a gun stuck in my face. Never been involved in a high speed car chase either.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not surprised, driving a Volvo while wearing that hat! :D j/k

10. Chris DeVoe

Not being able to drive helps. I suppose I could dangle from the door handle of an L train, or some sort of a Speed bus scenario...

11. Chris DeVoe

I just recalled, Robot Chicken actually spoofed Plath's suicide. Of course in their version she stuck her head in a lit oven.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Could one even mount a 35mm cinema camera on that rig if you wanted to? Looks like cinematographers are taking great advantage of smaller, lighter digital cameras.

dan c

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

“Pew!” Right over my head. That’s a really funny line I now get. :D

dan c

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

While it doesn't quite reach the heights of Season #1, it was highly enjoyable and recommended !

dlokazip and GentleSenator like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Only in 16mm. I don't think there's a 35mm camera that could do this, but it's possible there's a small one with 400' magazines that might do it. I think the show looks very lush and has a period flavor to it, despite being shot in digital. I believe Mrs. Maisel is being shot on Alexa LF (the 4.5K version of Alexa).

Chris DeVoe and Dan C like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

I really do need to watch this series on one of the 4K sets and I put it in my brother's place, not for the extra resolution but for the color depth.

What's your professional opinion about how they're coloring this?

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They're doing the post over at Light Iron Digital in Hollywood on Baselight, using (I think) 4K ProRes files shot on Alexa LF. If you look at the behind-the-scenes video I posted above, you can see the set sorta/kinda looks like how it looks on TV already, so a lot of the hard work was done through expert art direction, diffusion (mist) in the air, costumes, and really great lighting (by ace DP David Mullen). I think a lot of the 1960s look boils down to being very colorful, a little on the warm side, and a little highlight glow. Part of the highlight glow is actually in the camera, but I think they're adding a bit more in post. It's a beautiful, beautiful look.

18. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

The presentation has a distinct and refreshing lack of orange and teal emphasis.

19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I wish I could "like" this a million times.

20. Chris DeVoe

Cool thanks. Every episode looks at least as good as any film I've seen all year. Really remarkable.

Vidiot, trumpet sounds and Dan C like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Chris DeVoe, Dan C and BNell like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finished season 2. I loved it all over again. No sophomore slump for this show! Lots of interesting developments have been set it motion to be addressed in season 3. Just a lovely show.

23. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Nope not overkill. Can’t wait to read that in depth later today.

On a side note, I really wish they’d release this show weekly by episode. I know people love to binge these days, but I really miss the “water cooler” talk after each episode where we’re all caught up. Having a busy life and a 4-year old makes binging shows a rare luxury.

dan c

24. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We're up to episode 8, and so far it's been a great ride. Anyone else get a laugh in episode 7...

...from the throwaway dialogue about Midge and Joel's kids? My wife and I have been saying for months, "Who the heck is watching the children?" episode after episode since they are both always treated as an afterthought - family drives up to the catskills and leaves the baby in the car, does a bunch of stuff, then walks back past the car and says something about grabbing the baby - etc. In this episode someone actually asks Midge - and I'm paraphrasing, "Who watches your children?" or something along those lines, to which she replies, "We have people who watch them!" I'm sure that exchange was purposely done for people like me and my wife who have noticed the lack of attention paid to the children's whereabouts. Seems like they're telling us to quit nitpicking and just enjoy the @#$%* show! :)

25. Chris DeVoe