The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - the 5th (& final!!) season has ended...*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

For the record, I found all 3 episodes to be brilliant.

And wait till you see what's coming up tonight...!

- Kevin

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just watched the 1st 3 episodes, it's good! Better than season 4, that's for sure. With all the shows that come and mostly go, this one was special. But they've made the right decision, hopefully they'll end it with a bang!

mike s in nyc and dlokazip like this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I thought the episode in season 4 where midges mom gets hypnotized and does her daughter's act was hilarious

Plinko and dlokazip like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, they're being a tad "playful" with what network Gordon Ford is on, not saying "Jack Paar" or "Johnny Carson" or "Steve Allen" or anybody else. My guess is they wanted to keep people guessing, plus if this fictitious talkshow host was a total jerk and tried to do something "untoward," they didn't want the real-life person's family suing them and saying, "oh, no, Jack Paar would never do or say that with a woman in the room."

But it is a funny bit, and I liked the fact that for the first time, we saw a comedy TV show (albeit a talk/variety show) with a writers room that has 7-8 people in it. Even The Dick Van Dyke show only had 3 writers, which is crazy. Your Show of Shows had upwards of 9 or 10 writers, including (at various stages) Neil Simon, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, and all kinds of people. (OK, some of them only worked on the later Caesar's Hour, but still.)

wayneklein likes this.
  5. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

S5 Ep4
    Back to form for the most part.
    It was fresh, odd, fun, good looking.
    I liked it :righton:

6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Nice ending for Episode 4. Won't spoil it.

Mylene likes this.
  7. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Episode 5 is already up, folks...!

- Kevin

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A great episode! Everybody got a chance to shine with some LOL moments while still nailing it on the drama level. And it's such a good looking show, it's like eye candy from start to finish!

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Episode 6. Wow, just wow. Not only was it the best episode of the series, it's one of the best episodes of any series.

[​IMG]

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Worst episode ever.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm a fan. It was so good I watched it twice! Nuff said!;)

Detroit Rock Citizen and Mylene like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The only thing missing from episode 6
    Is the MAIN CHARACTER

Great closing song by Elton john

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    George P likes this.
  14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I think that was the point.

dlokazip likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

And yet so much of her story was told. So masterfully done! It was an award-winning episode!

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Didn't like it. The first three seasons were strong, the forth was a total mis-step and this fifth is almost about a completely different character (lots of failed marriages, kids who hate her, world fame). The idea to tie this 'new' character with the old in a series of flash forwards was done 99% to be arty and win awards and 1% about character development. If the first three seasons didn't exist they might have got away with it but, because they do, it's an epic fail.

rod likes this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Jeez, tell us how you REALLY feel!!;)

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If you change a whole character (personality, motivations, EVERYTHING!) in the forth and final season of a show we deserve better than that as an explanation.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Deserve??? Ok.......;)

20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Fame changes people. We are being given a glimpse into that end result, but not how that came about. If that is what you are upset about, that's fine. I, for one, am enjoying it.

In the flash forwards, the character of Midge is still there. They did not change her into someone else. Her life changed her.

Also, the kids don't hate her, but she drives them crazy. How the kids turned out as adults is the most brilliant aspect of this season. Both are idealistically trying to make the world a better place, but Esther is in therapy and Ethan marries a humorless militant. Yet, it is Midge's success that made their life choices possible. They didn't have to make the compromises that Midge did.

I'm sure that there are those who just wanted to see Midge's struggle chronologically ending with the "big break" and showing us a montage of her subsequent fame during the end credits. I like this approach much better.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Structuring it like Broadway Danny Rose made it sort of interesting.

mike s in nyc likes this.
  22. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Great episode. Borstein deserves an award she can scornfully accept.

Nice Colonel Parker gambling reference.

23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I have not watched any of the latest season yet, but will do so eventually... I am not thrilled to read about "time jumps"...

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think how you perceive the premise of the show can change how you view it. Is it a show about a comic? Or is it a show about a comic that became a legend? There's a difference. For instance, a movie like Punchline is about comedians (Fields & Hanks) but a show like Hacks, is about a comedian that became a legend. Tellyawhat, I love Hacks, but Mrs. Maisel's the better show!;)

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident