The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - the 5th (& final!!) season has ended...*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Dec 1, 2017.

1. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

so much to like about the whole thing= and while there were a few missteps in the various seasons, on the whole it was wonderful.

so many favorite scenes, but one of my faves was the 'friars club roast' of suzie in the last season--- so very 'broadway danny rose'-ish and so well done. Also those Catskills scenes in the second season were much like my parents described the 'borscht belt' back in the day...

I agree that the whole cast was excellent...

2. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Saved up the last few eps for most of the summer. Struggling to think of a tv show that has moved me more, all things considered. I’ve played Nancy With The Laughing Face from Cannonball’s version without having heard the song, an even bigger bonus to hear it now if I’m honest. This show has absolutely everything. As retro as it is po-mo as it is anything. Also - crucially - impossible to binge. Too intense. And Lenny. God bless Lenny. He’d hate that.

Bhob likes this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think that The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel will be remembered with incredible fondness thanks to the final series, where the writers suddenly seemed to realise that they couldn't just draw out the character development like they had in earlier seasons. "The Testi-Roastial" and "Four Minutes" are genuinely classic episodes, and it's not easy to recall episodes of that quality in seasons 2-4. I also loved the approach to the final series of telling us exactly what happened next: not just in the final episode but throughout. And keeping the bittersweet note was important as well.

MMM is not one of my favourite TV series of all time (very far from it) but it had probably the highest production standards of any comedy ever and it certainly bowed out on a high.

4. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

My wife and I have been watching this series, and we are a few episodes away from the finale. (I skipped through the past few pages of this thread so as not to have any spoilers).

This is my ultimate comfort food show! I love the time period, and I find it fascinating how life was back in the late 50s. The set designs, lighting, etc is just fantastic.

Seeing everyone drinking whisky and smoking cigarettes at all times (and smoking everywhere) is kinda comforting in a weird way? Just a great view into how life was like back then (I know, its based on a wealthy family, so it's not very realistic, but you know what I mean).

I love too that's its not too dramatic (ie, the dad dies suddenly, or other terrible things). Just a wonderful show to lose yourself in.