The Marvin Gaye Collection SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ubsman, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

I've been thinking about buying this to replace the dts version. It's 17.99 at Media Play. Or should I go with the DVD-AUDIO version (it is $1 less)? Any visual content on the dvd-audio version that is worthwhile? I'm tempted to get the SACD currently, due to playback simplicity and case size.

2. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

This is also a toss-up for me. Anyone heard either, or perferraby both?

doug

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I bought the DVD-Audio when it was first released, since at that time I had no idea it was coming out on SACD. (I also have the DTS version).

To my ears the DVD-Audio sounds OK - a bit bright overall (going from memory). Not a very long album.

Personally, I would rather have the SACD, but since I have the DVD-Audio that is what I am sticking with.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Question for my Buddy Grant:

Grant, last night, a friend game me some Lps for free. Among them was the two Lp Motown "Marvin Gaye- Anthology".

Whats your take on this one? Sound quality?

thanks, bro.

5. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Has anyone bought this one yet?

I just read this comment, taken from an AMG review, about the Marvin Gaye collection SACD on the BMG website. Does anyone have this disc to elaborate on the "Digital Glitches" on "Ain't That Peculiar"? Since I would be listening in stereo and not surround, this has me concerned.

You're missing some key tracks, of course, but it's the Surround mix you're here for, isn't it? The bad news is the Super Audio Hybrid CD shipped with some serious and jarring errors in the regular audio CD portion. "Ain'T That Peculiar" is split across two tracks for some reason and the sound is awful on the track, filled with digital glitches. Granted, part of being an early adopter audiophile is waiting for the recall and the rest of the collection sounds great, so hang tight, dig the tracks that work, and get your send-back mailer ready. ~ David Jeffries, All Music Guide

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't understand the AMG review. Are the "glitches" on the CD layer or the SACD layer? The reviewer says "regular audio CD portion" but then goes off on the "early adopter audiophile." Maybe the problem is on the CD layer and this reviewer is going off hybrid technology.

Anyone?

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Bump

Has this question been answered? There must be some who have jumped on this SACD available from yourmusic.com. I was thinking of taking the plunge on this one but AMG has made me leery of it.

8. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I was just going to satrt a new Marvin Gaye thread when i saw this one. I have a question..... Since I am reading the new Bio at the moment, I went to my local CD store and grabbed a copy of last years Anthology. As i was checking out the used section, I came across MARVIN GAYE GOLD. it looks the same CD collection with a different cover. Whhen I play on my computer, my Windows Media player shows the cover from the Anthology, not the simple back and white shot of Marvin on the cover of Gold. The small print reads copywrite 2001 and 2005. It is also states this is a Motown/Chronicles/UM cd. So I am lost. It was used and only 14 bucks and the other one was 24.95 so I went with gold. he sounds seems ok on my computer but i ahve yet to drop the thing into my monster 250 changer and run it thru my Theater surond sound player yet. Motwon B0003119-02 for the record. what is this thing?

9. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

I just got it for 5.99 from yourmusic.com and it is a fun CD in 5.1..Well worth it,I did not notice the glitches.

I also did not sit around a listen for them,I just enjoyed the music,For 5.99 shipped you can not go wrong

10. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

The SACD edition sounds much better than the DTS edition. I'd recommend it having heard both on my system.

11. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

OK well thanks for the input. Into my queue it goes. Perhaps the glitches were fixed if there were any in the first place. It's kind of funny really that yourmusic would sell the SACD while posting an AMG blurb that makes you go whoa, maybe I shouldn't buy this yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.