The Mavericks Discussion Thread (Concerts, news, Recordings, etc).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spanky1, Jun 3, 2016.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The band is working on another "Live" album, yes?

melstapler likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I believe so. They have been touring with a Digidesign Venue console and a ProTools system, and I believe every show has been recorded.

melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I think the live album will be out in November, and Raul also mentioned a Christmas album and a new album next year. They played a new song about New York City. Needs some work IMO. :)

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

5. Chris DeVoe

Jrr likes this.
  6. which one got kicked out

7. Chris DeVoe

Robert Reynolds.

Galaga King likes this.
  8. stereoptic

I have the LP on pre-order through amazon, but I may cancel that and order the FLAC instead.
    Thanks for the link!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

They got dropped by their last record company, so they created their own. Based on the link, they're doing a great job of delivering what their fans want, and will be very responsive.

melstapler likes this.
  10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

My buddy's son plays sax for these guys. I put in a pre-order for the live album.

stereoptic likes this.
  11. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

i found out about them around the time of "What A Crying Shame" in '94, and saw them tour that, and they were great live, especially then-guitarist Nick Kane, and liked the more guitar sound they had at the time....i wasn't as crazy about the more Tex-Mes/Cuban sound they later added in....would like to see them again, but am thinking there might be too much of the other sound for me....makes me think how Robert Reynolds is these days after his semi-recent 'issues'..........

melstapler likes this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks for all the updates!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

No problem. I can't say I was really all that happy with their record company, and now that they're doing it themselves, they need all the support they can get.

melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Chris - thank you for sharing the news!

Jrr and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. stereoptic

Listening to the download All Night Live Volume 1 by The Mavericks now. It's a lively mix, combination of the band on stage, Raul is not mixed higher, and the audience. A bit boomy, that texture matches the shows that I have been at. The FLACs are 48/24, surprisingly. No liner notes included, though

16. Chris DeVoe

I'm listening to the promotional stream at the moment. As stereoptic said, there is a boominess on the horns and the kick, but it works. Are there notes with the download to indicate where the tracks were recorded? The cover of Harvest Moon is beautiful.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I picked up the vinyl and it looks lovely with a die-cut gatefold cover and printed inner sleeves with lots of pictures! I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet -- I picked up several new releases, so I will be having a weekend filled with (hopefully) great new music!

melstapler likes this.
  18. stereoptic

No, nothing! I sent an email asking if there is a .pdf .

melstapler likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Ah well.

20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. I had no idea they were dropped from Big Machine Records, but it doesn't seem surprising. The name "Big Machine" says it all and as I recall, The Mavericks were the only enjoyable artist on the label, so it never seemed like a good fit from the beginning. Of course, I'm glad they were able to release 2 studio albums at the expense of that label and hopefully they will still benefit from the previous marketing and PR. The Mavericks are far too sophisticated and creative to be confined by the standards of most record companies or the current trends in Nashville. As a longtime fan of The Mavericks and Raul's solo career, I'm glad they are still receiving so much recognition and attention.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

My issue was that the label didn't want me posting the videos I shot of Raul and the Mavericks, and I'm firmly of the belief that a good video does nothing but bring people to the shows and sell records. The Mavericks problem is that their music can't be described in two or three words.

longdist01 and melstapler like this.
  22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Well said. The Mavericks cross the boundaries of many different genres and can't be pigeonholed. Now that The Mavericks are in control, hopefully they will allow their future performances to be posted. The Grateful Dead were able to build momentum for their brand by allowing "tapers" to share and that has effectively fueled the continuing legend of the band over 50 years later.

Chris DeVoe and Jrr like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I sure as heck hope it isn't in mono again! Man they really ruined the sound on that otherwise stellar album.

24. Chris DeVoe

My thing was shooting for the venue's video reinforcement system, which the band was OK with. But the label didn't want me to post those clips to YouTube, which seemed like an awful waste, especially when something memorable happened, like the train coming through at 3:20 in this song:

Jrr and melstapler like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Not at all! Stream the whole album here and check it out:

The Mavericks : All Night Live Volume 1 »

melstapler likes this.