The Meg

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mother, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Donna Summer/John Barry was the best thing about it ..down deep inside, indeed. :D

Humbuster likes this.
  2. alexpop

Bermuda Triangle out next year I believe. Ryan Reynolds playing Dr. Fisk. Looks like it's .s harking back to the seventies with bizarre occurrences happening in this fishy thriller. Sam Raimi directing, looks promising.

DHamilton and Brenald79 like this.
  3. This potentially terrible movie strikes me as one that is better seen in the theater.
    Many of us have large screen TV's in our home theater set up, but I would bet few have screens as large as a movie theater.
    The large screen adds to the experience with this kind of movies so waiting for home release may not pan out as good as the theater viewing.

4. alexpop

M E G ?

Definitely imax for this giant CGI lovefest.

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I saw it a few days ago. The first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer was from Family Guy when Peter says "shut up Meg." Surprisingly, that was one of the top comments on the trailer on YouTube. That being said, it wasn't all bad. I found it entertaining throughout.

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Just saw it tonight. Very entertaining, but wow. The plot and dialogue really doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Just glad the little dog was ok.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just got back from the theater. While this isn't a great movie, it is much better than it has the right to be. If you can find Jaws 3(D) enjoyable, which I do, then I think you will enjoy this.

I would recommend seeing it in 3D if you can.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

3 D

The Hud likes this.
  9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The problem with it (well, one of the problems) is that it wasn't bad enough.

It was a (mostly) bloodless action/adventure undersea story that happened to involve a shark. The story was cutout, but not offensively so. The acting was fine. There was some self-aware moments (mostly involving the black character), but not enough to make it into an enjoyable farce like, say, Shaun of the Dead did for zombie movies. The script was forgettable. The effects were OK-ish, but not in any way noteworthy.

It was a joint American/Chinese production, so calling the Chinese characters "obligatory" is probably not the most accurate way to put it.

In the post-Sharknado age, I feel like a film such as this needs to either be a joke or an '80s-style gorefest, and this was definitely neither.

And not that it matters tremendously, but for so non-joke of a film, one might think that they wouldn't get the marine biology stuff so wrong. The region of the sea in which the Meg was found was an area deeper than any known portion of the sea, which would have made it greater than 11,000 meters. There aren't any fish at all that live at such depths, due to the immense pressure. And the deep-sea fish that do live at lesser (though still very deep) parts of the ocean look like aliens, as they have bodies that have adapted to the pressure and lack of light. These fish die if they're ever caught and brought to surface, as they have adapted over millions of years to their unique environment and can't live outside of it. So not only is the very idea of a large shark living in these depths is ridiculous, but if it did then it would surely die if it swam to the surface. It also would not have functioning eyes. And the presence of a coral reef and kelp at 11,000+ meters is downright absurd. Coral are shallow water organisms and kelp need light to live. Neither could come close to living under all the pressure. I understand that this "new" part of the ocean was a thermocline where it was warm, but warmth still doesn't account for the immense pressure and absence of light.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

You have to ignore science to enjoy films like this. Halfway through, I started thinking that it was stupid that a shark that bites whales in half would bother chasing after people for a food source. I had to remind myself that this is just a fun popcorn movie, and just enjoy it for what it is.

I am actually interested in checking out the book now. I have read that there are several differences between the book and the movie, which sounds interesting.

11. alexpop

The Meg 2

Nothing fishy about that realisation. :agree:

12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking forward to checking my brain at the door when I finally get around to seeing this movie.

mmars982 and The Hud like this.
  13. alexpop

Fintastic.
    Old fashioned fishy hokum.
    Family entertainment personified.

14. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

For anyone truly considering, don't bother. The Meg is so nauseatingly and painfully far below bothering with that it isn't even amusing. You can't even laugh at it - it's just perpetually annoying.

Just go watch Tentacles (1977) on YouTube whilst dining on beer and corn chips. You'll thank me later.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I saw it last night. It is definitely mindless entertainment, little blood or gore, marginal character development, but fun, with a few scenes that knock your socks off in IMAX 3D. Interesting to see so many Chinese characters speaking in Chinese. I would expect a lot more of this type of marketing - the China movie market is now bigger than the US in terms of box office revenue. It’s pretty amazing. It was less than a decade ago when there were few decemt cinemas in the country.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

YES!!!!!!!

17. alexpop

Knock your socks off'
    Jumped out of my seat a couple, guy behind me was grateful for my :-popcorn: :D

18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Chinese co-financed "The Meg" too. Same can be said of the recent "Mission: Impossible" movies.

19. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

I saw this in 3D and thought it was fun. Unrelentingly dumb, but fun in 3D.

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Jason Statham is one lucky actor, just seems to get roles that suit his limited acting ability and make a succes out of them.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He’s not a great actor and has, by and large, made terrible movies, but I don’t dislike him. I should due to him being in the awful “The Expendables” movies, but, whatever.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow, this movie is cheesy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. alexpop

Sly turned up for the premiere of The Meg.

hellion likes this.
  24. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I finally saw this last night. I was fine with the dumb fun that it was until the final 'battle' with Statham and the lead female ripping around in underwater vehicles that seemed borrowed from Attack of the Clones. Anytime you're reminding me of the Star Wars prequels, that's not a good thing.

The romance angle seemed forced and out of place as well but I think all could have been forgiven if the movie had just clocked in at 85 or 90 minutes. It was too long.

I do find it funny when there's an obvious disconnect somewhere between the writing and the editing. When Statham says something to the effect of "we should go on a vacation" and they clink mugs together the female should have said "hey dummy, mind if I bury my father first!? He died, like, six hours ago!!"

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOVED IT!

Tree of Life and CrazyCatz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.