‘The Menu’ 2022 movie (now streaming on HBO Max) with Ralph Fiennes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Nostalgia...remember the picture she saw in his house...

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I wonder what happens when Ralph Fiennes walks into a fine dining restaurant these days.

RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They all shout, "WE LOVE YOU, CHEF!!"

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It would seem that way, but there is a particular reason and technique used when making a "smashburger". It uses just some of the juices to produce the steam to cook the thin patty quickly and without drying it out.

A different example with the same concept are White Castle type sliders. If anyone has watched how they are made, the cook first puts down smaller piles of dehydrated onions (that have been rehydrated) on the grill.

The small slider patties are then placed directly on top if the onions. They are not in direct contact with the grill. It is the steam from the onions cooking that cooks the patties and gives them flavor.

unclefred, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I loved it.
    It wasn't meant to be realistic. It was a dark satire on class struggle that reminded me of Luis Bunuel. Over the years, Chef saw himself as a "giver" (aka "server") and lost his essential joy by playing up to the needs of the "takers" (aka elite). He finally realized that the only way to strike back was to destroy both sides.

He saw in "Margot" a kindred spirit. When she saw the picture of him as a young man, she knew how to connect with his younger, pure self. He rewarded her for that.

She was actually similar to him and despised the "takers". Maybe she'll now carry on his legacy and continue to destroy the class struggle.

The others on both sides were also unable to escape their (self-imposed?) class roles.

eeglug and RSteven like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Just as a note... I like White Castle and Krystal type sliders.

And, while I have cooked "smashburgers" professionally, I still prefer a thick Fuddrucker's style burger cooked to medium rare.

RSteven likes this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

We're going to get to a point where satirical films are going to require a disclaimer...

formu_la, OldSoul and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

History is also full of examples of people willing to fight for their lives in hopeless situations…the passenger’s of Flight 93 for example.

RSteven, Pizza and Bruce Racket like this.
  9. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Completely agree.

Pizza likes this.
  10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Or some folks simply didn’t like the movie, satirical or not. It’s art, it’s subjective, it’s not personal.

Hoover Factory likes this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I could easily see Vincent Price playing the role of the vengeful chef, it really took me back to those 70's films like Dr. Phibes or even more, Theater of Blood. I sure wasn't expecting realism nor did it attempt to deliver it. Maybe Peter Lorre could have played John Leguizamo's part. How about a double feature along with Eating Raoul?

12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I was concerned for the Chef's Mother...

RSteven likes this.
  13. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I saw it in the theater mainly because my wife and I ate at 3 Michelin star restaurant Alinea last October. If you’ve ever eaten at a restaurant like that then the movies’ a pretty good satire on the fine dining experience. Btw the dessert was a homage to Alinea’s dessert.

14. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

The Menu and Triangle of Sadness would make a nice double feature.

I thought both were hilarious - albeit a bit too obvious in their "message"...

ex_mixer, RSteven and Dillydipper like this.
  15. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Wickedly funny dark comedy. I enjoyed it.

RSteven likes this.
  16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Love the appreciation of the common cheeseburger.

Pizza, unclefred and RSteven like this.
  17. unclefred

A delicious metaphor.

Pete Puma and RSteven like this.
  18. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I wasn’t surprised and amused by the satire and the director left me hungry for more.

Pizza likes this.
  19. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

If this were a Steven Seagal movie what you are saying would make sense. It was an examination of people's minds and hearts. They were pinned to the chairs by their own self-loathing. Only one person in the room didn't feel like they had anything to be ashamed of.

unclefred and dougotte like this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It’s a room full of narcissists and rich snobby people. I don’t believe they would feel that much guilt to die. Now if we want to look at this as some kind of allegory for purgatory or a gate to Heaven or hell, then I could buy that thought easier, though I don’t believe that’s the case here.

dougotte likes this.
  21. unclefred

yes, and Chef pointed that out directly to them in his soliloquy before lighting them up. Even when he took them out and told them to escape they didn't really try very hard. There were a couple of interesting things besides Margot figuring out the meaning of the cheeseburger photo.

One being when Chef stabbed himself in the the thigh with the scissors to atone for his mistreatment of his subordinate, which mirrors the story he told of when he stabbed his father in the thigh with the scissors. A hint of the judgement everyone was to face that night. He even served the chicken thigh with scissors.
    It was interesting when Richard the cheaters wife mouthed 'thank you' to Chef just before he lit the smores. After she was given her husband's ring from the amputated finger I guess she felt something other than for herself. I guess a liberation from years of marital abuse. The only one other than Margot of course.