The Midnight Gospel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daglesj, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone seen this yet? Netflix.

I clicked on it as I'm a bit of an Adventure Time fan. However, I made the mistake of somehow watching the last episode first.

I have to say I nearly had an 'emotional episode' during it and almost broke down on the sofa. Somehow I managed to keep back the howls of tears.

Just was not prepared. Several reasons why it hit me emotionally which I won't go into but...wow.

Floored me. Thought provoking if nothing else.

Not sure I'm going to watch the rest.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  2. crowlibrarian

crowlibrarian Forum Resident

FWIW, I've seen the first 3 episodes thus far, and each takes a different existential plunge. Episode 2, despite the characteristic incessant cartoon gorefest, was a fairly light journey. I'll brace myself for the final episode.

3. Let's see...hmm...this came out on 4/20. I wonder why? :shh:

I showed my wife the trailer. It looks like a good weekend trip. :)

crowlibrarian likes this.
  4. crowlibrarian

crowlibrarian Forum Resident

It was perfect for 4/20 though I had a sense that mushrooms would best suited for enhancing the viewing experience. Enjoy. :winkgrin:

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Looking forward to checking it out. Duncan Trussell is a trip. I saw a clip of it on The Joe Rogan Experience #1444 last time Duncan was on.

6. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Have no experience at all with Adventure Time but I must say the first three episodes of Midnight Gospel are an interesting “trip”. Trying not to binge it and just do one per day so they can sink in.

This show is like Richard Linklater’s “Waking Life” crossed with this music video for “Cold Fear”:

EVOLVIST and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. petdevaney

petdevaney Forum Resident

I watched the second episode of this Netflix series and am trying to figure out does anyone here know the name of the song and group that does the song which I believe is titled "The Hearse Song"?

8. I just discovered this last night, and it made me think of what listening to the Rogan podcast while watching li’l kids cartoons on shrooms might be like.

Waking Life is also bang on.

Bruce Racket and dirkster like this.
  9. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

I watched the first episode without having any background knowledge of it. Still don't. It was very interesting, even brilliant, in a technicolor, lysergic, Terence McKenna kind of way.

spoiler question

Was that a post Dr Drew interview enhancement or was it done all above board in real (surreal) time?

10. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

11. andy101269

andy101269 Forum Resident

I found it to be self indulgent tosh. Adventure Time was one of the greatest shows ever, it was important for so many people through a show but never tell principle. This holds none of ATs insight, charm or appeal.

12. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

The wife and I loved it, although I dug it more than she did. It's like a mishmash of Terry Gilliam, Yellow Submarine, and....I really don't know what else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.