The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

Under a $100? Why not under $50. That’s an unreal expectation for a Rhino Handmade release. The Deluxe Monkees CD sets were sold for $60 and that’s just 3 CDs. Add in the extras and the mastering in making these episodes look sparkling there’s no way they could sell it at $100 and make it worthwhile. I do agree that the $200 price tag was detrimental. I think $150 would have worked great even without the packaging.

SRC, D-rock and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

all good points, but we will really never know...I don't see any Monkees BD in the future. I do hope I am wrong...if they went in some kind numbered order this last offering the numbers seemed to be in the 7,000-8,000 + well where are the other 2 to 3 thousand sets?

audiomixer likes this.
  3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

You are thinking they are sending these out in numerical order? Probably found a batch of the raw contents in the warehouse and assembled to sell. I HIGHLY doubt that they have sold 7-8000 sets. My guess from reading this site plus Facebook when it originally came out that maybe 3000 sold. I am guessing 1500 at most sold this time around. So,half of the 10,000(at most) have sold. I am also guessing 500 or so were used for replacement parts the first time around. This was a niche set for a specific fan base. Really 10,000 was too large a number to expect to sell, unless they wanted this to be around several years. Again, my opinion. I may be way off,but I really don't think so...

4. Michael

well if you are correct they should finish up and sell the rest off and be done with it...on the remaining 5,000 +/- what's your take on what is going to happen with them?

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

What is fueling this hunch? If you have SoundScan data on analogous sets, I'm all ears.

Michael likes this.
  6. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

It’s also a fact that music-heavy TV shows cost a lot of money for music clearances.

Look at WKRP. Both of its home video releases are missing music (one more egregiously than the other).

Happy Days? Tons of generic and soundalike music substitutions mar its second-season DVD release.

Even shows that aren’t known for containing popular songs (The Odd Couple, The Beverly Hillbillies, etc.) have edits/changes to their DVD releases to save on music licensing fees.

The Monkees is a 56-year old, two-season series with just 58 episodes. While it has its fans (obviously), it’s definitely not a series that shoppers at Target or Best Buy are clamoring for.

There will never be a “large quantity / lower price” mainstream release for the series.

Maybe when physical media releases were still viable in the marketplace (say 10 years ago) it could have happened.

But, in 2022, that ship has long sailed.

7. Michael

...wishful thinking? ; )

Collapsed Lung likes this.
  8. Michael

I love a positive attitude...so where IS the remaining of 3,000-5,000 stock going? dumpster? you seem to know so much about this set so I figured I'd ask you...: )

9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I have no inside knowledge,just reading what was out during both times this set was selling. I could be completely wrong,but judging by how long all of the handmade and super deluxe sets took to sell out much smaller runs, it just seems logical how few were actually sold.

D-rock and Collapsed Lung like this.
  10. Michael

makes sense...

11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

My shirt and sweatshirt showed up yesterday

RobRoyF, longdist01 and BobT like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I think remastering the film(s) alone was 10K ...

I was reading that the reason "Moonlighting" hasn't appeared on streaming or bluray is due to the high cost of the music rights.

RobRoyF, Pizza and longdist01 like this.
  13. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I think 1 of 2 things. Either most of the elements are still MIA or they assembled this small amount to guage if it is worth it to continue. A lot of issues occurred during the small sale window (site crashing, people complaining on social media about the sets now being$50 cheaper vs at the concerts for a couple of examples). Either way, I don't think we will see these being offered anytime soon. The only way is if they fix the website issues, and sell any more remaining stock they had,but I kinda doubt it.

14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

In Monkeeland, anything is possible and stranger things have happened.

silvertrees, longdist01 and RobRoyF like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You're right that they weren't sold in any numerical number... I have a lower numbered box than what @FredV said his was, and he bought his when it was originally offered in 2016, and I just got mine from Rhino last week.

longdist01 and FredV like this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

I just went back a few pages and found Fred's post and my post stating our set's numbers... Like I said, Fred ordered his in 2016, yet here we are almost 6 years later and I have a lower numbered set, lower by 3000-So they were never sold in any numeric order...

longdist01 likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I ordered mine in 2016 like @FredV , I'll check to see what my number is when I get home from working nights.

longdist01 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  18. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I ordered mine at the tail end of the initial offering (for $150 :D) and my number is 8941

longdist01 and RobRoyF like this.
  19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

This

Outsider as well. They are likely not to sell any more anytime soon due to all the issues - I'd like to be wrong here so some fans could pick them up at a fairer price than what's on ebay. It's too unfortunate. My personal opinion is that if the set was offered at $150 early time around it might have had more takers. That was the main reason I did not buy the set the first time around and I've lost interest in the TV show itself as I've gotten older. Now that Rhino is stripped down to a skeleton staff, the Warner PTB probably would rather focus on other projects that they believe will make them more money.

BobT likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

From what I'm reading in here, the 'issues' didn't seem to rear their ugly head as much this time around... Yes, there are a couple of posts in here describing sets that were received beat to ****, but most of them seem to indicate most people received their sets in top condition.

My own personal guess is they found a stash of them, sold what they could at Micky's shows, and between what didn't sell at the shows, and the remainder of the stash is what was sold this time around. I mean this time around, they stopped selling them (probably ran out of them to sell) before a bunch of issues came to light, or at least it seems that way to me...

longdist01 likes this.
  21. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Not quite, but close. As an example, I ordered my set (with a shirt) within 3 hours of it being offered on the website. My set is being delivered today. I think the only reason mine is coming today is that I started my campaign of contacting Rhino asking where my set was. Listing a set as "processing" for over a week, and then having the order disappear from the website counts as an "issue". And from what I read on Facebook, I was not the only one who had this "issue". A lot of those customers for Rhino also ordered the first day, and had the same issue. So, having 20 or 30 people ordering on the first day having this problem certainly counts as "issues", at least it is in my eyes.:shrug:
    At any rate, just glad it is coming, hopefully in decent shape. Maybe the shirt will act as a shipping cushion?:laugh:

saborlord123 and longdist01 like this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I haven't opened the box in a long time. I have the discs in a separate case. Just as I was opening it to get the booklet, the lenticular cover started coming more loose and the box was making a creaking noise when opening it.

I'd suggest getting a separate DVD 10-Disc case. Maybe @FredV can post a picture of the one that was suggested by Zilch on FB with the nice color cover that was created by someone. That's what mine is in and it looks really nice.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    longdist01 likes this.
  23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Link: Dropbox - Monkees Bluray Cover by Mike Marosy.pdf - Simplify your life

longdist01, intv7 and D-rock like this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    kouzie, longdist01 and FredV like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

One can only hope the shirt actual helps in this ordering example!

BobT likes this.