The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I've got 07940.

I feel like it was for sale on the site for quite a few days before selling out. The news that it was there went out on this thread on April 12th (when it was also posted on Facebook), and while the t-shirt version sold out quickly, I bought my set in the early morning hours of April 14th. I have to assume that most fans, who'd been hoping it would become available again, have got it by now, though I guess some may have been out of touch in that time.

saborlord123, RobRoyF and longdist01 like this.
  2. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Did scalpers drive up the price of Partridge Family DVDs after David Cassidy passed away? Maybe something else is going on....

The Beave likes this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Davy and Richard Kiel reunited:

[​IMG]

5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

6. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

Do you work in the entertainment industry? Since it sounds like you know what you're talking about and have clearly done the math, I'd love to see a cost breakdown taking into account manufacturing, licensing, packaging, design, and marketing and see how wide the profit margin is and where the break-even point on sales would be on this scaled down version of the set. Don't forget to cross-collateralize earnings against total sales/profits/expenses from the initial blu-ray release.

A link to a Google Sheets doc would be fine, or you could DM it to me as an Excel attachment -- whatever you prefer! Thanks!

rlp and intv7 like this.
  7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

No they couldn't.

There were numerous interviews with Andrew Sandoval that occurred around this release that explain exactly why it was priced as it was. Do yourself a favor -- check them out and report back to us exactly how they could've priced this at $60.

And Batman had how many song licenses to clear?

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeesh, guess I riled you guys up.

Drop the useless vinyl, and package this without the fancy lenticular 3-D cover mount. That is what I meant. Do away with the unnecessary packaging as part of a budget release. That will definitely shave off some of the cost.

Upsiditus and Castaway like this.
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I compressed the video file (50Gb>25Gb) to save on hard drive space, but I think the snapshot still looks great.

[​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  10. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

As a wee lad, I wanted to be Mr. Miss Buntwell :cry:

11. Collapsed Lung

Show your work.

intv7 and rlp like this.
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Please set your media player to 1080p.

RobRoyF and heymynameis like this.
  13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Yeah, that comes out to about $60. :rolleyes:

And no, it's not that I'm "riled up". I've just been reading comments like this about this box for years, and I'm just kind of done with them. The box is worth every penny.

seeknom, longdist01 and JuanTCB like this.
  14. Collapsed Lung

Agreed.

Also, as someone who has worked most of their life in the entertainment industry, releasing CDs, LPs, and DVDs, I am pretty familiar with the costs entailed in producing these objects and how difficult it is to gauge demand for them. It gets exhausting to hear people who have absolutely no experience in what it takes to produce something like this and bring it to market then make clueless, uninformed assertions about what could and should be done that have no basis in reality. If @supermd thinks a product like this can be made and marketed for $60, I encourage him to start a label and get it done!

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think you’re both getting a bit too hung up on $60, a number I threw out there merely to make a point - they could release this in a much stripped/pared down packaging for less than $150. OK, not $60 (must state again I wasn’t actually serious about that price point), but it would be cheapER if they left out the vinyl and gave us the discs in a couple very barebones standard blu-ray cases, the blue ones. Anyway, I’m glad you like your copies. Just wish there was another option for someone who wants this TV series but doesn’t necessarily want the bells and whistles packaging the existing set has.

Even you, Mr. Lung, acknowledge that this is an option.
    That’s all I’m trying to say. Let’s not take this too seriously, fellas.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Yeah, I could see this being under $150 with simple packaging and no bonus 45. I'm happy to have that stuff, but obviously that stuff doesn't come cheap.

After the many issues that this set has had from the get-go, though -- from expensive restoration, licensing nightmares, faulty packaging, poor shipping methods, people whining about what wasn't included, people upset with the price, etc. -- no question this whole project left a bad taste in Rhino's mouth. Unfortunately I doubt they'll invest any more time, energy, or funds on making any more Monkees BluRay sets of any kind.

The Beave, D-rock and supermd like this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Perhaps this is far too simplistic, but from my point of view, all the actual hard work is done. The material has been remastered. The files exist, ready to be re-pressed to disc for a potential re-release in whichever format. Whatever relationship Monkees/Rhino have, they seem to have little/no interest in any kind of re-press. I feel this show should be readily available to any new or old fans who are interested in buying it.

Upsiditus, D-rock and Castaway like this.
  18. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Definitely would make sense to try to make some money back on their investment. I have no data to back it up, but I imagine they lost money on the first box as of now, with all the replacement boxes and not having sold half the sets they produced and apparently lost track of.

But I get the feeling that the powers that be at Rhino these days are only looking at the bottom line and seeing The Monkees as being money losers, even though a big part of the loss on this set was undoubtedly due to errors made by them, or by people on their behalf. Not the fans' fault that they needed to replace boxes.

19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I recently watched an episode of Name That Tune. No one could name The Monkees TV Theme. Yes, I was yelling at the TV. Apparently, they couldn’t here me.

Upsiditus, supermd and longdist01 like this.
  20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Great quality screenshots. Art imitates life in the case of Bobby Sherman. In the 2nd photo, I believe this tall woman with Davy was a young teen at the time, maybe 14 or 15 here? Linda Albertano, correct? Only because she's so tall - 6'4? Linda looks older than the dashing Jones. Funny sight gag, nonetheless.

D-rock, longdist01 and ZackyDog like this.
  21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

That's great these 2 teamed up again in later years. Happy to see this shot.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    905, longdist01 and ZackyDog like this.
  22. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Thanks.

Yes, I agree that is 6' 4" Linda Albertano who was almost 15 when they filmed the epsiode. Davy was 21.

Linda Albertano - IMDb

I don't follow you re: Bobby Sherman.

RobRoyF likes this.
  23. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

For Bobby Sherman this guest star role was somewhat an indirect premonition for his becoming a teen heart throb just a few years later, albeit not with being in the movies, by being an actor on a TV series and a singer.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    longdist01 and ZackyDog like this.
  24. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I forgot to reply earlier.

My BR set is in the - 6800 range. I bought it at Micky's solo show in April in Nashville.

BeSteVenn, D-rock and longdist01 like this.
  25. heymynameis

heymynameis Forum Resident

Small update - just pulled out Head to watch and the disc has scratches all over it. Very odd for a "sealed" release!! It was dirty enough that I needed to wipe it first but the computer still cannot recognize it....