The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I’m somewhat sympathetic to Rhino or anyone who makes expensive, deluxe packages these days. Fans like them, and that makes a good incentive for labels to make and sell them, but the prices just make people very sensitive to small imperfections (to say nothing of bigger damage and flaws). I don’t want to make excuses for bad design or quality, but it can’t be fun to deal with so many replacements.

Obviously the solution is to design packaging to be less fragile, and to pack and ship it better. But I also think that, on top of all the seriously damaged items, they get a lot of complaints and returns for very tiny flaws. If one spends $200, one wants perfection, I get it, but how perfect? I struggle with that question when I receive something like this.

It’s not going to do Rhino (et al.) any good to say, “Sorry, we can’t replace it,” but either they are out of replacements, or just can’t keep up. Again, I don’t think it reflects well at all on Rhino, but we all want them to make more deluxe sets and I’ll bet they are wondering if it’s really worth it.

I’ve seen other companies and distributors really nail the ship-packing. There are reasonable, creative ways to protect things, but one has to care about that from the start.

People reporting this to their credit card companies... I don’t know. Are you saying you’re not going to return it and just get the charge removed? If so, that’s not cool IMO. Anyone who doesn’t like the damaged product deserves a full refund, but not while also keeping the item. Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

2. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

To me the content is worth more than the packaging. These boxes are notorious for having defects. I hate the design, but I still picked up the Headquarters box as well.

Considering this set was assumed to be sold-out, just getting a copy is enough of an accomplishment for me (there was even a coupon). I think a lot of people are missing the context that these sets had been forgotten for years in some warehouse. The fact that they became available last year is somewhat miraculous because they were not cheap on the second hand market.

I have no doubt it will retain enough value even with small cosmetic damages. I have a feeling some of this content will probably never be available again. It’s frankly a fantastic deal.

I get that some people want a mint copy of the box, but with the supply being basically nil, they may be out of luck. Rhino should have sold them “packaging as is” and left it at that. That would have solved a lot of this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’ll be checking my two orders today to see the condition they are in. Fingers crossed.

D-rock and longdist01 like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Still sucks to pay $230 to get a damaged item.

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No. I’m using it as a bargaining chip. Maybe they will negotiate a lower price for a defective product. In the end, I won’t return it for a refund or replacement. The outer box is on perfect condition, as are the discs, booklet & 45. My lenticular cover is totally removed from the front cover & the corner tears are present on the insert. I don’t expect or want to get it for free, however a bit of financial compensation & corporate courtesy in prompt response to my 3 requests since the beginning of December should not be too much to ask for.

seacliffe301 and supermd like this.
  6. audiomixer

Absolutely!

supermd likes this.
  7. Crack To The Egg

I don’t debate that. If you’re unhappy with the condition of your copies, I’d return them.

supermd likes this.
  8. audiomixer

Only if you up for possibly another copy that worse than the one you got or you’ve decided you don’t want the set at all. Those are your choices…

supermd likes this.
  9. Crack To The Egg

Yes, those are. Personally, I’m keeping my set because of the value of the content and the likelihood of it appreciating in value is all but certain. But you do you, as should everyone.

longdist01 and supermd like this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Ok, I’ve opened both shipping boxes. Interestingly, both boxes were different sizes, with one bigger and having crumpled brown paper as padding, the other smaller with no padding at all.

Both boxes look to be in great shape. Very minor nicks, but certainly nothing to be unhappy about.

My question: is there any sort of way I could tell the screen becoming unglued before opening it? I kind of doubt it. Anything else I should look for in terms of damage before taking the shrink wrap off?

Edit: Oof, one of the covers has a number of scratches on the lenticular cover… The other does not. Guess that settles it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Pizza, longdist01 and audiomixer like this.
  11. The Ambassador

The Ambassador Forum Resident

I just received my blu-ray set last week, no clue from the outside of any damage, but inside was wrecked: all corners torn, front photo torn off/completely separated, booklet dented.

This morning I also got the "bespoke packaging" BS email back.

I had no idea of the previous (2016 onward) issues with the box; I'll be following this thread to see if anyone here is successful in getting a new box... or any remedy.

They've had six plus years to figure out that they need to adjust how they ship these... I don't understand how ANY of them make it unscathed after shipping.

supermd, RobRoyF, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  12. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

I bought many of these and had zero issues, I guess I was just fortunate. '

I think the new plan is return the damaged box and all of the contents (wait for your RA#)

They will refund, when received and then it will be up to the buyer , if they want to try a new purchase

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I only bought one, but I didn't have any issues with mine.

14. audiomixer

Horrible business model.

15. The Ambassador

Is this the procedure that Warners told you to follow? (Or if anyone else in this thread with box set damage was told this procedure, please post...). I'm waiting on a reply to my reply to their BS "bespoke packaging" email... Thanks!

16. audiomixer

Personally, get in touch with your credit card company and put in for a dispute claim. I believe it makes it easier for consumer grievances. That bespoke packing email is BS because it should be stated upfront that that’s the policy before you purchase it, not after the fact. “Oh, and by the way, if it’s damaged when you receive it, it’s not our fault”. Direct the bank to this forum to find out the truth about manufacturing defects .

longdist01 and The Ambassador like this.
  17. audiomixer

Again, I’m not out for blood, but a bit of a price cut would help heal the wound.

The Ambassador and longdist01 like this.
  18. The Ambassador

I hear you, it’s just a shame that an additional $5.00 worth of shipping packaging would have avoided this entire issue. Give me a partial refund, I can glue the photo back to the lid. But deny all responsibility? That’s just too much and unfortunately, so typical. We’ll see what reply I get; will escalate to the credit card company next if needed…

longdist01 likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m attempting to return my unopened 2nd copy. I really hope I don’t get any hassle from them.

The Ambassador likes this.
  20. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

not me
    like I stated I have bought numerous copies
    no problems

but a friend (who I gave , a box , in our holiday gift exchange)

took the set to work
    to play for his students

another teacher
    saw the box, was impressed
    and ordered one

he then received his box damaged
    after 2 weeks
    of waiting for a reply
    and nothing

he contacted his credit card company
    his cc company
    called him back
    a few days later
    and told him
    to follow
    that procedure

21. audiomixer

Honestly, I don’t believe it has anything to do with the packing. Mine was tightly secure inside the box. It’s due to the manufacturing process. No quality control.

22. The Ambassador

Mine was shipped in a box that fit on the edges but left room vertically for the set to shift up & down. I think the damage occurs from the weight of the disks inside shifting and the set contents "beating itself to death" back & forth until the interior cardboard tears. No damage is revealed until the shrink wrap comes off.

I bet if the discs were shipped outside the box it would have no damage... but that's impractical. That must have worked for customers who received empty replacement boxes back in 2016.

But you're correct, the construction of the cardboard holding/surrounding the discs can't take stress or repeated motion during shipping. I wonder why some of them deliver with no damage... just lucky I guess?

longdist01 likes this.
  23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Wow, this has become one complete b**ch-fest instead of discussing the contents ...

The Beave and JuanTCB like this.
  24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Yep! Reminds me of those folks who go down to the car dealer to pick up their BRAND NEW CAR and discover that someone slashed up the interior and kicked in the dashboard. I mean...COME ON! Shut up and tell us how it drives!

25. audiomixer

There’s plenty of info on this thread about content,

The Ambassador and supermd like this.