The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You know what extra would get me to plunk down $200 for this set?

An option to watch all the mimed and actual filmed performances, complete, in a row.

MagneticNorthpaw and D-rock like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

At that time, GH was on channel 6 in Philly, which you could pick up on the FM dial - so my younger sisters insisted I play it when I drove us home from school each day, and I got hooked.

numer9 likes this.
  3. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

This is the sort of info we should be getting if some live footage is a possibility - even if it's silent. never-before-seen outtakes is rather vague. As this is obviously aimed at fans (especially since it's only available at monkees.com), including more detailed info would make me jump on board right now. (Heck even a mock up of the packaging would be helpful.)

Possibly not, but I'd think outtakes/other footage would have been found when doing the Criterion version. That was 5 years ago.

4. ginchopolis

On the DVDs, you could choose to just play the songs. I've never done it, but I'd imagine they wouldn't (couldn't) be super clean edits on some of them with the previous or next scenes overlapping some of the "performance." They probably just jump to the chapter stops.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

1 or 2 songs per episodes over 8 discs with is a pain to watch. We can't just get a bonus feature to turn on and watch?

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Criterion didn't get the widely circulated Hendrix backstage footage for the Gimme Shelter release.

7. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

A lot of members here have wished for a blu-ray release of "The Monkees" television series, but I didn't expect it to ever happen. However, as with all other things Monkee, Rhino is putting it out. I'll get it, but audio is amlost always more important to me than video.

D-rock and Smartin62 like this.
  8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Sorry, this episode is just as relevant today:

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

There's one scene that's really hilarious (unsure which episode), where Davy and Peter are improvising a new song. Davy starts going "Da da da da" and Mickey cuts him off and announces that's it's terrible and the worst thing he's ever heard. You could tell the writers of the show loved taking the p*ss out of the characters and the show itself whenever the opportunity presented itself.

10. ginchopolis

Was it because they couldn't find it, or because they couldn't license it?

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That's a good catch (and cool to see too)...

BenB5150 likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Peter just posted on FB that this is 4th Anniversary of first sir date.

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

This whole thread should probably be in visual arts, no?

14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Huh?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm with you: I didn't get that post either...

16. monkees paw

monkees paw Active Member

And laugh in.. an Hollywood squares!

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sorry got autocorrected: 49th anniversary of 1st air date

18. readr

readr Forum Resident

The set includes a limited edition 45 of two rare tv mixes. So, it's a music set too.

D-rock likes this.
  19. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

That's from one of the final episodes, "The Monkees Mind Their Manor" (IIRC), directed by Peter Tork. And an audio clip of that moment ended up on a bootleg called Monkeeshines, where they identified it as an "unreleased song" :D called "Iranian Tango," credited to Tork/Jones! That may actually have been an ad-lib? (It was also on some other bootleg under the title "Davy's 2nd Song.")

Speaking of that episode, the DVD set has audio commentary by Peter Tork where he refers to Michael Nesmith as "a contrary SOB"

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I did check that out on one of the DVDs and it's basically like what you're describing.

21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Why does Peter have to look like a non musician when playing keyboards on I'm a believer? I'm referring to the clip at the end of one of the episodes where they are playing this and he looks like he doesn't know keyboards and is faking his way, moving his hands around like a, well like a faker. Even on the Words sequence and other songs he just doesn't look like a musician, like he knows how to play these instruments.
    What was the deal??
    Signed, befuddled

22. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

What do you think of Mike's guitar solo on Valleri?

MagneticNorthpaw likes this.
  23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Perhaps it was his little "commentary" on being a musician in a prefab TV rock group with songs that were basically performed by studio musicians? Or he was just goofing.

bluejeanbaby, Galley and MarkTheShark like this.
  24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Nez looks like he is really concentrating hard in that video to nail his guitar solo :D

25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think he looks like he is playing it, last I remember...he still looks like he knows what he's doing, though it's been a while since i saw it

Grand_Ennui likes this.