The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

My own luck with digital media has been bad:Initial streaming of The Simpsons (since corrected) and Dukes Of Hazzard wrong aspect ratio, missing episodes of other shows, Starsky & Hutch still streaming edited episodes in SD, I bought (not rented) Young Sherlock Holmes in HD from Amazon and it still got removed, etc., so I'm probably not the best judge of streaming/digital video. But your examples above are good news for fans. Those are major shows done right.

On a side note looks like I Dream Of Genie is getting a blu-ray set. Hopefully good news for more Sony owned shows. The best situation would be for blu-ray sets and streaming of the HD masters. Hopefully that becomes a trend.

pablo fanques likes this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Enjoy The Monkees on Tubi while you can. According to Andrew Sandoval on Twitter they’ve not been legally licensed for streaming and Rhino has put out a cease and desist order.

[​IMG]

jupiter8 and longdist01 like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that update on those streaming sites getting notification from rights holders!

D-rock likes this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

No monetary value. Wow that's lame. These companies. :rolleyes:

5. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

Something smells fishy. Tubi and CTV HAD to have gotten the shows and the transfers from someone.

6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Seeing how fast The Monkees 2021 Farewell Tour is selling out might change their minds.

longdist01, D-rock, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I'd rather Rhino take note first.

8. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

To be fair, we don’t know what Rhino’s price is either. Both sides have to be willing to compromise if we’re ever going to see them streamed. If Rhino wants to cultivate new interest in the Monkees then they need to be available to seen on more places than METV, out of print DVDs, or an out of print Blu-ray set.

9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

The Blu-Rays?

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

No way. Haven't you've been following this thread? Rhino lost them all. ;)

Exotiki likes this.
  11. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

Definitely not. The discs have the old Screen Gems vanity card at the end of each episode. The versions on Tubi have the Sony Pictures vanity card, the same as what you would see if you watch the show now on syndicated TV.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Strange, the CTV versions have the Screen Gems end card. Very strange.

longdist01 and D-rock like this.
  13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Monkees series have been removed from Tubi because they’re weren’t legally available for streaming. Hope the streaming rights with Rhino will get cleared in the near future.

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

In time for the upcoming farewell tour (which due to healthy ticket sales had to be expanded) perhaps? But knowing Rhino...:rolleyes:

D-rock likes this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

This person wants almost $3,000.00 for the set(!)

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Absolutely freaking insane.

longdist01 and chilinvilin like this.
  17. Pizza

It’s funny how in the earlier days of this thread a lot of folks were complaining about the packaging. Now we got a lot of folks starving for this box set. I know I wrestled with buying the set or not. I had recently picked up the DVDs of the show and had Head in that Criterion box set. (The main reason I bought it.) So I already invested some change on the video side of the Monkees when this set got announced for a couple of hundred bucks. Normally I would pounce but I didn’t think there would be a big demand for the set so I decided to wait to see if the price would drop. Then I read the comments on the packaging and decided to skip it.

Then the price dropped about $50 (if I recall correctly) and I decided to bite. Soon after it was gone. I feel very, very lucky and thankful I changed my mind because I’d be kicking myself otherwise.

Will we ever see a re-release? I'm feeling doubtful. Reading the various Monkees threads it doesn’t sound like the property is highly regarded by the corporate world these days. I keep hoping they’d finish the deluxe boxes but have given up hope. Maybe the upcoming tour will bring back interest or maybe it’s the final bow for the group. Either way, it’s been a real joy listening to their music my entire life.

18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

It was once $199, but was overkill for me: I just wanted the Blu-ray TV episodes since I already have a good Monkees music collection.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what are the odds Rhino will get off their butt and release a reasonable version of this set? all those blu-ray discs just sitting there or maybe in a dumpster by now...so sad.
    hey I'll even take them on a cake spindle!

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Slip em all in a multi-disc sleeve hardcase...quick turn over out the door, many options on storage out there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  21. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Well before the set came out, restored versions of the episodes showed up in an on demand format through Comcast cable TV. I was able to record off several of these episodes including Monkees In Paris which looked incredible compared to any version I'd seen. Too Many Girls also was the uncut version, also in fantastic quality.

pablo fanques and longdist01 like this.
  22. Michael

nice, I'll buy it!

Grand_Ennui and longdist01 like this.
  23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

That's how they would have been released if Sony still had the rights!

longdist01, Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

yes, too bad for us! wonder if there is still a chance? I'm hoping...

longdist01 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  25. Pizza

I’m doubtful. There’s such a focus on streaming anymore. I love collecting blu-rays but the studios don’t appreciate movie nerds like me. For example the recent news of Warner Media and Discovery merging to compete with the other big companies. It gives me a bad vibe for physical media in general and the Warner Archive specifically. Another example, Sony used to have a nice option to turn points earned from home video purchases into free Blu-ray’s. Then they made it you could only get video copies from your points and I stopped caring about my points. Disney did the same thing then rebranded the “club” and dropped DVDS/Blu-ray’s as choices to use your points on. I had gotten a lot of movies that way. They recently brought back the option for discs again so I guess I wasn’t alone in disappointment.

I was always surprised that Rhino never rereleased Headquarter Sessions and the only way after it sold out was to get it as a digital download. I was thrilled to recently get pressed discs on eBay even without the original packaging for a very reasonable price. Maybe the same will happen with the TV show if there really is a pile of them somewhere at Rhino. Or maybe inventory will get dumped and they’ll show up unannounced at a bargain store packaged in a cheap box in a foreign country.