The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

how many bonus tracks were there?

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

fitzysbuna likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

If they are gonna bother with that it better contain something completely unheard like the Spanish version of M&M or another alternate version or a live disc added. Otherwise, it would seem tacky and greedy on their part (Rhino's).

With that said ... I don't think a follow up is necessary. If Micky and Peter and possibly Mike ever feel the need to record in the studio again I hope it is a true "group" effort. A nice acoustic collection with all three "together" would be nice.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I agree with adding the Spanish version of "M&M" or any other alternate cuts there might be, but *I* wouldn't see a deluxe version, as I described it in my previous post, as "tacky"... What I seen as "tacky" (and still do!) is the way they spread 4 bonus tracks over so many different "store exclusives", etc...

^^^ This ^^^

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I agree that initially it was tacky and greedy to spread all the bonus tracks out especially having one being only available in Japan BUT what is even more tacky and greedy is after fans went and searched and bought all those ... is to now have the audacity to try and release a "Deluxe Edition" with those tracks 'only'. That's why I believe, if there is going to be a deluxe edition someday .. it'll contain something .. anything, unreleased thus far.

.. at least I would hope so ..

6. readr

readr Forum Resident

Actually....I'd like more of the same.....however, no old backing tracks. I wouldn't mind if they cut old catalogue numbers, but recutting the backing tracks is a must. Also, Nez must do no less than two country flavored tracks. 4 Nez, 2 Tork, and 6 Micky....with 2 as duets....one with Nez, one with Tork.....like Words.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

... we might as well accept Good Times as the last Monkees album. I mean in all reality .. Nez isn't going to participate anymore. Good run though and a nice one off.

8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Hey, they're the Monkees.
    And people will say they monkey around.
    But, they're too busy singing to put anybody down
    Deal with it.

9. Grand_Ennui

I can see where you're coming from with that point of view...

D-rock likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

??????

D-rock, seeknom and mrbobdobalina like this.
  11. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I don't really care for Love's What I Want and A Better World.
    Love's What I Want would be okay if it were about :90 to two minutes long.
    A Better World is allright but is a little overproduced.
    ALL MY OWN OPINIONS :)

12. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Micky floats "Monkees" project ..Summer- Fall ! 2017.. posted on Monkees live Almanac (3/14/2017)

Wingsfan2012, Tord, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Maybe they'll do something in support of the release of the MOTM box set. I'd like to see an acoustic set or as I've said many times .. a "Behind the Music" type of ep.

14. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Regarding Micky's recent statement on the Monkees. .. in my hopes and wishes category, I'd love to see Peter Sing "Wasn't born to follow" and "Little Girl".. and have Wayne step out to the front of the stage. I'm thinking possibly the regional fests Nez eluded to last year or even better a dozen or so shows. What's piqued my interest is the direction the Monkees have taken playing live with Nez last year.. kind of loosened up free form jams and even space jams transitioning in between songs. Imho they could do 2 sets one where they kind of stay true to the original recordings and the 2nd set an hour long jam of 12 songs or so. There's a youtube video 1997..
    (I believe) - Listen to the band - the Porpoise - Listen to the band. This example would be mind blowing especially if they switched up a few songs coming in and out of the space jams!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Listening to this again tonight! Love, love, love this album so much! Their voices sound so good! I'm even liking Davy's song and I never like Davy's songs, just wish Nez was on the track! What an absolutely outstanding gift they have given to us fans! Still my favorite Monkees album ever. How was this even possible! Best come back album ever by a group after such a long, long, long time!

16. Dr. Pepper

Read this, right on the money!

gja586, Hep Alien and BeatleStair like this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

Sequencing is the one problem I have with this album. How have you folks resequenced the albums running order?

Hep Alien and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I wanted to alter it as little as possible while correcting the flaws in the original sequencing which I noted above (too much Micky on side one, not enough Micky on side two, and the clustering of several similar-sounding uptempo pop songs in a row on side one). Basically, I just removed "Our Own World" from side one, then took "Wasn't Born to Follow" and "Accidental Hipster" and put them in its place. Then I stuck "Our Own World" into the slot on side two that those two other songs had vacated. That breaks up the streak of five Micky lead vocals that opens the album, and also breaks up the streak of five non-Micky lead vocals in a row later in the album. It also introduces greater musical variety into side one.

Good Times
    You Bring The Summer
    She Makes Me Laugh
    Wasn't Born To Follow
    Birth Of An Accidental Hipster
    Gotta Give It Time
    Me & Magdalena
    Whatever's Right
    Love To Love
    Little Girl
    Our Own World
    I Know What I Know
    I Was There (And I'm Told I Had A Good Time)

Hep Alien, marmalade and lavalamp3 like this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

My two favorite songs with a Peter vocal are from these sessions.

PhoffiFozz and marmalade like this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

You are questioning Pizza?

21. Grand_Ennui

Yes, questioning Pizza...

The quote of:

"Hey, they're the Monkees.
    And people will say they monkey around.
    But, they're too busy singing to put anybody down
    Deal with it"

Made no sense to me, and even less sense when you look at it within the context of this thread...

If you have an idea of what Pizza was getting at, I'd be glad to read it ;)

22. Dr. Pepper

I think Pizza was just trying to say that it was the Monkees philosophy from the beginning not to put others down. And we all need to live with that.

The only real reason I'm defending him is so that I can literally say, Dr. Pepper goes with Pizza!

Pizza and marmalade like this.
  23. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

That may be true, but everyone knows Beer and Pizza is the match made in heaven. ;)

*takes off his Captain Obvious cape and costume* My work here is done! :D

Dr. Pepper and marmalade like this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

One year later and this album is still such a joy and puts a big smile on my face-"Hipster" is still like "Wow the Monkees in 2016 did this"!

25. I'm waiting for Rhino to lost the "deluxe" editoon that has everything and then some. I hate when labels do this exclusive track crap.