The Monkees "Headquarters" Deluxe Edition - Friday Music version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member

With the first two albums, I don't think there is a lot of difference (IMO of course.) But HQ is good in both stereo and mono, the mixes make it a different experience. The mono is a smoother ride, but I like both equally.

2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

There goes any hope that on the first album, Nesmith's and Hal Blaine's comments about "I'm not here to worry about money, I'm here to make records..." (preceding "Do Not Ask For Love") might appear in uncensored form...

3. smjblessing

smjblessing Active Member

And as weird as it seems, the artwork is really nice on this set - by far the best artwork of any of their Monkee releases.

That's real hard to believe, I can't even imagine it being possible for the Headquarters art looking any better than it already does. Its just the logo, blue letters, and a cut out of a group photo. I'll have to read other reviews about this reissue before purchasing.

4. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd love to hear what others think of this set as well. I'm surprised at how nice the artwork is too. I still think it sounds really nice. The stereo version doesn't sound like a slightly brighter version the Rhino 1994 CD to me.I think it sounds a bit better than the 94 version. Love to hear others thoughts.

Again, if you never bought the 2007 version, this set is a must. I personally think it's worth it to have the bonus tracks not quite as loud. The 2007 set is fine but a tad bright to me and the bonus tracks - as well as the bonus tracks from the 2007 Pisces - seem to be so loud they pump the bass. That's the only way I can think of to describe it. The bonus tracks sound more natural here and are at the same level as the rest of the material.

If anyone else buys it post your thoughts here. Oh, and if anyone would like to post any loudness levels feel free as well.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I thought I was the only one who preferred the '94 masterings to the "Deluxe" ones...

6. smjblessing

smjblessing Active Member

I also hope when they reissue More of the Monkees that they include the original mono mix of Your Auntie Grizelda. Apparently the 2007 Rhino deluxe edition included an alternate mono mix in place of the original.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

You would lose that bet.
    To my ears, the Friday Music discs sound better than the deluxe set versions. Nice and warm sounding. Nothing harsh.
    I'm tempted to replace those bright discs (from the deluxe set) with the Friday Music discs. Then again, I might regret that. lol

I still have the '94 disc, but haven't compared it to Friday Music's stereo Headquarters. Is there a need to?

BeatleStair likes this.
  8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I'd love to hear an opinion on the new one vs the '94 disc. If it's the same, I think I can skip this release. I have SO many Headquarters issues and they all sound too bright. My go-to is a needledrop of my Colgems mono LP!

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Okay, I just compared stereo tracks from the Friday Music reissue with the '94. In my opinion, the new one does not use the same mastering. It's quieter and smoother. The eq is a little warmer and slightly less penetrant on the new one. I won't offer any theories as to what it's sourced from but I will say this is probably the best sounding Headquarters to date.

10. zen

zen Senior Member

^ Agreed Edwin.

11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I think I'll go out and buy this one. I've got the Living Stereo LP on RCA Victor (not in the greatest condition, but I got it for almost nothing, and the covers in good nick), but I would love a CD copy.

12. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I find this new Friday version to be the best sounding "Headquarters" release so far. The Rhino 94 sounds like it has more treble to me. I really enjoy this new 2 CD set and can't wait to see what they do with the other three - "Monkees", "More of" and "Pisces".

apple-richard likes this.
  13. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I'm not crazy about the mastering of the mono mix on the new set. But the stereo is good.

14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'll wait until they re-release Sessions. And if they don't, I'm fine with the previous Rhino double CD Set.

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I bought the new Headquarters last week and really like it a lot. I skipped the 2 CD sets but after hearing Headquarters I will definitely buy the rest of these Friday Music reissues.

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Ditto here. Very happy with this release.

17. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Got mine yesterday and really enjoy it too. The liner notes give two references for the first and second album reissues (FRM 101 and FRM 102 - this one being FRM 103), but it doesn't seem to be released yet... Did I miss something ? The Friday mussic website is silent, even about this one release... Strange.

18. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

What the heck, I've got every Headquarters release so I bought the new one. CLEARLY the treble has been tamed from the '07 Deluxe version, but it is very close to the '94 edition. Pretty nasty dropout during the stereo "You Told Me" around the 50 second mark that's very noticeable on the new one and the '94. Probably not an essential purchase if you have the others, but then again, if you have all the others, as I said, what the heck........

19. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

They should have reserved the FRM prefix for mono and FRS for stereo.

20. pdenny

What are your issues with the mono mix? I have nothing to compare it you, but it's a fun listen. Doesn't jump out of the speakers like say the Bee Gees monos but it's nice to have it finally.

21. zen

zen Senior Member

Absolutely no issues here. Nice warm mastering that's much more inviting than the previous mono mastering (from the deluxe edition). Feels right.

22. pdenny

I never heard the Deluxe version. This one is a fun listen...

zen likes this.
  23. Luzbell

Luzbell New Member

Anyone knows when More Monkees and the other two put on sale?

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am a little late to The Monkees. I had acquired "Pisees, Aquarius Capricorn & Jones" for a few years back, but never really put a lot of time into it. But having revisited it and really enjoyed it, I finally picked up "Headquarters" and I have been really blown away by it.

It is times like these when the existence of 'limited edition' releases become very frustrating because I would love to be able to acquire the "Headquarters Sessions" 3CD set, but it is out of print due to its limited nature. Fortunately a download version is available, but still, some of us dig physical product. I get why music is issued in limited edition form, but this is an example of how the fan-base and consumer really gets short-changed, because I wasn't listening to The Monkees when the box set was released, so I never would have considered obtaining it. Years later when I discovered the music, it was too late.

25. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

I did a search but couldn't find a dedicated thread for the plain vanilla 1988 Arista ARCD 8602 Headquarters CD. No bonus tracks, no nothing. Just Headquarters in stereo. Anyway, I played it yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised by the sound. Just a quick heads-up to those interested and who still have it - the original CD is definitely worth a re-visit.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.