The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought this bump was it.

2. seeknom

seeknom Forum Resident

Seemed like a good time to resurrect this thread... Any predictions/rumblings regarding when we might see this?

3. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

They should call it either " a lot more of the Monkees
    Or
    Much much more...
    You get the idea.
    How much. ( sorry) more unreleased music exists in the vault? Geez does it ever end?

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I hope not. I'll buy the 2025 box set when they find the recording of Davy brushing his teeth with 17 alternate mixes.

5. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

I just wrote a quick note to Rhino....we'll have to wait and see what they have to say, if anything.

D-rock likes this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Seems like every other box, we would get word on it maybe a month before the sale began. I'm curious how the first album's sales went. If that sold well, the More of the Monkees box would most likely be out by the end of the year.

7. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

last I heard, the first album box was nearly sold out.

D-rock likes this.
  8. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Wish this set would hurry up so we can get to the 2 GREAT ones!

9. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

+1

D-rock likes this.
  10. 905

905 Senior Member

Does Dr. Rhino still work there? From what I read he seems like a good cat and will give you any info.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  11. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Didn't Andrew S. (Andrew Scouse Git?) say something fairly recently that as of yet, Rhino has no current plans/timeframe/release date for the next Monkees set?

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  12. siegel7825

And here's what they had to say:

Hello...
    We have not yet received word when this title will be available. Please stay tuned to the Monkees site and the store site for future information.

Thank You,

John
    The Monkees Support

(Oh well: bummer.)

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That's better than them saying there is no title. It means there is SOMETHING being cooked up. They're always very secretive about the box sets. Seems like everyone they've done, they tell you about a month in advance. Even Andrew doesn't really let on about them until he's sure they're in the finishing stages of production. At least that's what I recall from the previous sets.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They could release 7 takes of the track that made all the girls swoon and call it The Week We Fell In Love

tedg65 and JuanTCB like this.
  15. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

May I please get some help on this: How much bonus, extended, or jam content can we expect? If everything was produced by studio musicians as employees of Kirshner or Boyce and Hart; everything was charted to be exacted at 2 minutes and 37 seconds, to be efficient in the studio time.
    Carol Kaye or Hal Blaine were more interested in crossword puzzles, than to extend versions of these classic songs.
    It's obvious I am missing something; thank you for your time; and I will watch the Making Of The Monkees again to gain a better understanding.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  16. I wonder if the delay of the blu ray box set and the success of Good Times! has created a delay for the MOTM box set. About this time last year this set was the ONLY thing guaranteed for us this year. Now it's been completely drowned out by other things. Which is cool. This would be my least fav of the box sets anyway.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I prefer to think of it as 'The Chinese Water Torture Suite'.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  18. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

It's release would fit better in its 50th Anniversary. I'm happy to wait. Spread the fun out.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Reads like usual scripted reply. Don't read amything into cuz it says nothing.

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I still haven't picked up the first album box set.

Darryl

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The backing track is actually pretty interesting if you ignore Davy. That's an awesome-sounding tremelo'd Fender guitar amp on that track.

cwitt1980, Hep Alien and tedg65 like this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I worry that with all the complaints (rightfully so..), replacements, errors,etc ...
    That after the 50th that'll be it. Rhino has to be taking a loss with replacing bluray boxes with lenticular covers and the Instant Replay Lp replacement for the Lp box.

23. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

At this point, I don't care anymore, and I fully welcome their demise. It's entirely their own fault.

I'm tired of purchasing poorly mastered, cheaply constructed box sets (always with a major audio "mistake" of some kind) from Rhino for an arm and a leg. I have always hated the obnoxious, headache-inducing sound quality of their releases, but I gave them a pass on that. Now there are a dozen other annoying issues to contend with.

Unlike most fans (who are desperate for action), I am not gullible enough to blame it on an "unfortunate oversight" for the 200th time. The "friendship" that the fans think they have with Rhino employees and executives is entirely imaginary. Sucking up to them hasn't changed anything. We are being taken advantage of and laughed at by these clowns on a regular basis. They hype their releases to the max, promise us the world, plunder our wallets and then they cut every corner possible.

If they could, they wouldn't fix any mistakes. I know for a fact that they laughed at the notion that the HDTracks releases would be pulled and done correctly, or the LP box being repressed using the correct masters, because they are "selling anyway". In other words, people are buying it - that's all they care about. Anybody who thinks that they are actually "concerned" about our issues is entirely fooling themselves, and the ridiculous lengths that people will go to defend them is very sad to see, and is perhaps a reflection of the times we live in.

It's time for it to end.

24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

That may be the case today, but it wasn’t always, not with Rhino, anyway. This can all be traced back to Warner’s purchase and subsequent forcing out of the founders.

goodiesguy, Hep Alien, Galley and 2 others like this.
  25. siegel7825

"More Of The Monkees" was released back on Jan. 7th, '67...
    maybe later this week, we'll get an announcement for this upcoming box set?!

Well, we can only hope! :wiggle:

goodiesguy, D-rock, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.