The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

"She" wasn't on the Charles Westover album. It's a bonus track on the BGO reissue, however.

"She" by Del Shannon was released on Liberty 45 55939 on Dec 20, 1966. This predates MOTM by about a month, right?

Hep Alien and George C. like this.
  2. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Fantastic! Thanks for the correction

3. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I was collecting this information myself, so I'm happy to share for comments, corrections, or additions:
    Monkees Episode Soundtracks

There's a legend at the bottom for the colors I used. For the segments which I marked as "circulating," that could be video or just audio.

Some excerpts of pre-1986 syndicated airings were shared with me, which cover some of the versions that were replaced in the 86 reruns. Unfortunately, the original owner of the tapes only digitized specific segments and then ditched the tapes. If anyone has or comes across vintage recordings of syndicated episodes, please, please get in contact with me, I'm more than happy to digitize them. I recently digitized a large portion of the February 1986 MTV "Pleasant Valley Sunday" which I hope to share with people in some way soon.

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I taped some of the shows on VHS during the last days of the old 16mm syndicated reruns, but of course guess what, I can't find most of them. I did run across some audio cassettes from the early 1980s but I don't know which episodes they are and I'm not even sure how many I still have. I hope to be able to copy them to some kind of digital format. But the audio won't be MoFi-worthy.

Hep Alien and minerwerks like this.
  5. minerwerks

"I Love You Really" was done during one of the Stu Phillips scoring sessions.

For the TV soundtrack pieces "Different Drum" and "Untitled," I believe Andrew Sandoval said on the Zilch podcast he had a tape source for these, and also that "Untitled" is edited differently than the version in the actual "Fern and Davy" episode. I'm curious if "Different Drum" is from a raw dialogue tape. I think it's likely to not have laugh tracks over it.

There was a stereo remix of "The Kind of Girl I Could Love" on the super deluxe box of the debut album, but that mix used (unless I am mistaken) the group backing vocals which were a different arrangement than the final version's backing vocals. I have a feeling some stage of tape is missing here.

When the song was remixed in the 80s and for the 2001 "Music Box," it sounds like the source was a 4-track master containing 1) mono mixdown of tracking session, 2) overdub of pedal steel guitar, 3)mono mix of backing vocals plus Mike's lead, 4)overdub of Mike's lead vocal. This seems to match with what was used for the original stereo mix of the track in 1966.

In the 2006 remix with stereo group backing vocals, everything else in the song is mixed to center, so it's hard to guess whether the backing vocals were done to a playback of a mono mix, or if any of the other elements were separated over two tracks on the overdub tape.

Now, on the 2014 mix from the super deluxe box, for the first time some separation of the instruments from the tracking session can be heard - drums and percussion to the right, guitars to the left. The pedal steel overdub is also mixed to the left. The backing vocals have slight stereo separation and Mike's lead is centered. I'm curious if there are any other tracking session takes available, since there are none included on either the debut super deluxe or the MOTM one.

Looking again at the final stereo mix, there was likely some work done between the recording of the group backing vocals and the final mixdown to 4-track, because the final tape has mono backing vocals combined with a Nesmith lead. Nobody except Mike, Micky, Peter, & Davy have been credited for backing vocals, so it seems possible the final mix uses a different take from the same session that was not found in the archives. At some point, a mixdown of backing vocals with a lead from Mike appears to have happened, and the intermediate tape for that might be missing, making it unlikely enough separate elements exist to make a satisfactory stereo remix.

Believe me, I would really want to hear a cleaner stereo remix of "The Kind of Girl I Could Love" with the final backing vocals, because I love the song.

6. pbody

pbody Forum Resident

Thanks for this and your hard work to make it!

7. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

I think any of us who has purchased things over time is used to the sales pitches by now - 'Hurry - final days', 'Get yours now - these won't last long' etc. Speaking for myself, I don't find them patronizing as none of those things really sway me one way or another to buy something. If I like the subject matter of the project, I'm going to buy it based on a 'if I need to' approach regardless of whatever company catch lines. When something is announced, I'm going to place my order as soon as possible. Not because I'm worried anything is going to sell out but because I'm a huge nerd about this stuff and would like to have it as soon as I can. If MOTM get's delayed a month, I'm probably going to live.

While information may be dry, it's not something any company is going to be upfront about. As far as having all the episodes on Blu-ray, that had me sold period. I felt the material was in desperate need of an upgrade and I've posted several times to that effect over the years on these boards before the Blu-ray set was announced. It's not just Rhino, all companies do it. It's just marketing. Like when Nesmith was supposed to take his final bow on stage last summer...now he's doing two solo shows (hopefully more)and may be touring with Micky. I don't feel duped because I don't believe that stuff. How many people have had multiple farewell tours? I'd still see as many of them as I could if I liked the artist enough and someday they will stop for sure. As a group, we don't have much more to anticipate after this one comes out; really just the Pisces Super Deluxe and I assume (and I'm probably wrong) that if they re-release Headquarters to match the current configurations it will be somewhat identical to the release that came out 15 or so years ago. Looking forward to MOTM.

Hep Alien and npgchris like this.
  8. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

That's an impressive piece of work.

Hep Alien and minerwerks like this.
  9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Just for the record I think ending the series with a Pisces box is kinda cool. It's pretty much THE Monkees record, last of the "group" era (before Justus).

Regarding sales of the blu ray set, it's a shame it's low sales that were/are responsible for putting the breaks on those other Monkees projects planned for 2016. I was looking forward to some definitive stuff on the reunion eras.

Could you imagine if they had the rights to the '97 gigs?!

10. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

Absolutely amazing research and work @minorwerks.:tiphat:

Thank you for sharing!

Unfortunately I don't have anything you are searching for, but hopefully others can provide the missing stuff so you can transfer that as well. Very generous of you to offer to digitize and share what you have at some point. I look forward to that.

Hep Alien, minerwerks and D-rock like this.
  11. minerwerks

Thanks!

12. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Look at these gems I accidentally just found and wish I didnt:

Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Point?

I felt a little bit of a one-up with this situation when I was listening to the train wreck-of-a-podcast known as "Zilch" when Ken (and how exactly does he get christened "Podfather"? It's/he's creepy, no?) had Andrew on for an interview and Andrew commented on the Blu-Ray set as "that set that all of you hated so much". So, they know. They're fully aware of all the complaints, hear them, and KNOW we're out here keeping score with how much we're paying versus what we're paying for be it good, bad, or ugly OR great versus mistakes.

Rhino QC is trash. I'm STILL waiting on a corrected box. My third one to be clear. It will never come. I kinda don't care. Someone on this very site was kind enough to get me a Blu Ray container that cost all of $10 AND included the front cover with the disc=to=disc contents on the back. They can keep the box.

14. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Del Shannon's version of She was released first (VeeFan64 is indeed right about the release date) but The Monkees' version was recorded first (15th and 27th August 1966, whereas Del Shannon's version was recorded 2nd November 1966) and they were also first to actually get some airtime with the song (The Monkees' version of She featured in the episode Monkees à la Carte which first aired on 21st November 1966, a month before Del Shannon's version was released).

15. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I guess I don't get all the extreme negativity. Opinions are one thing and should be welcomed, but to just bash and trash to get attention is unnecessary. Too easy to hate. Yes, I understand that we would like, and should expect, the quality of the box to be much better than delivered, but I think we are all so fortunate to get unreleased material that I would rather point out all the positive things about it. With the Zilch podcast...that team brings a ton of joy to Monkee fans and not sure why you "waste" your time with it if you think it's a "train wreck with a creepy host".

There are things that I would do differently and have opinions on (like including digital versions of the exclusive vinyl singles, better quality on the box, etc.) , but I'll continue to be thankful and buy everything they release. We wouldn't have it other wise.

Bring on a reunion Blu-ray/cd set...

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

You're right - I should be thankful and applaud the GOOD in the set. The problem with that is that Rhino and Andrew and John will hear that and run with it, like it's the only part of the story. They'll celebrate a job well done and completely ignore the things that REALLY need work.

I get told this often, that I need to be more vocal about the good. Well, fine. Let's celebrate the good, but we ALL know what the good was in that Blu Ray set. In a forum I feel like we need to discuss the other things, the things that maybe didn't bring so much positive energy. It's not an exercise to just bitch without merit. It's the thought that we know what was good, can't/won't change it, and it's pointless to keep harping on those positives. We get it - there was good stuff, but the stuff that was lacking or misrepresented or plain out busted, showing up on my doorstep in REALLY piss-poor physical quality needs to be discussed and brought to their attention.

They've heard it. Hopefully they get the message - they need to do an even better job.

Hep Alien and jfmlaugh like this.
  17. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Totally agree and hope they get the message! People spent a lot of money to have sets show up at the doorstep all mangled.

I just want to make sure we don’t scare them into never making another. So as they think about the amazing content in the next set(s), just make sure the packaging meets up with the phenomenal content!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. MarkTheShark

Very nice job, thank you! A very nice resource.

One note, though, on #10 (the aired version of the pilot episode): you have the 1970s syndicated version showing the summer 1967 redub soundtrack including the edited version of "Shades Of Gray."

While most of the 1970s syndicated versions of first season shows had the summer 1967 redub songs (for the ones that were rerun during the summer of 1967), I can tell you that in Chicago, the aired pilot was an exception to this, and it aired with the slow version of "I Wanna Be Free" intact.

I never saw the 1967 redub version until it showed up some years back on Comcast On Demand.

Now, the 1970s syndicated shows were on 16mm film. I can't say because it was like that in Chicago, that means it was like that everywhere. It wasn't like today where everything is controlled and all uniform across the country. But that's how it was when I saw it.

One other note: In Chicago, even though most of the first season shows in pre-1980s syndication had the summer 1967 redub songs, the closing credits still listed the first-run songs. One exception was "Royal Flush," which played the summer 1967 songs but had 1969 Saturday morning songs listed in the credits. This was confusing to me at the time, as was the Season 2 show opening (including a shot of the Rainbow Room) on the first season reruns. Now after all these years I know why.

(By the way, I do not ever remember "For Pete's Sake" being dubbed onto closings of the first season shows in reruns, even though Peter Tork has said it was.)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Hep Alien and dangiedr like this.
  19. minerwerks

Interesting you bring up that specific episode.

In Sandoval's book, the summer repeat of "Here Come The Monkees" mentions "Shades of Gray" but "It is likely the two other Monkees music cues... are left intact." None of the other rerun entries had notes like this, so I wonder if Andrew hadn't actually seen this episode version when he sent the book to press.

Now, In the article I found from the early 80s which listed the songs in each syndication episode, it was obvious the summer repeat versions were used, and "Shades of Gray" was listed for "Here Come The Monkees." But you're not the first person to tell me the syndicated version had "I Wanna Be Free." And the syndicated excerpts I was given didn't include that episode.

But you do say the summer rerun version showed up on Comcast on Demand? Anyone have a recording of this?

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

I have a 16mm copy of "Here Comes the Monkees" that aired on NBC with "I Wanna Be Free" slow version with strings and it's got the original commercials (Yardley). Can't recall if this was the original aired print or the one from the summer of 67. Only episode I remember during the summer 67 that they used "Shades of Gray" in was "Success Story" which played while Davy roam by himself on the beach.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

I just pulled up the 16mm NBC summer print of "Success Story" and it indeed has 'Shades of Gray" played instead of "I Wanna Be Free"

22. MarkTheShark

I have it, yes.

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Wow. Some of these comments are pretty nasty. However I do agree with the brightness complaints. Does anyone use software to tame this issue? One of the main reasons I invested in a fisher tube amp (being spruced up at present) was to use the tone controls specifically for the Monkees' CDs. So, so bright.

marc with a c likes this.
  24. MarkTheShark

Also regarding "Shades Of Gray" in the pilot episode, they had to chop the song up in order to fit it into the segment covering the album version of "I Wanna Be Free," which was not only shorter, but on top of it was edited as well. The fast version of "I Wanna Be Free" as well as "Let's Dance On" are unchanged. I would have to see it again, but IIRC the Comcast version has Micky and Peter's intro for the screen tests, but the screen tests themselves are cut out.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. minerwerks

Since I sort of hijacked the thread with this tangent, I decided to create a Visual Arts thread for further discussion. If possible, relevant comments could be copied or moved to the new thread?

The Monkees alternate episode soundtracks

Hep Alien, MarkTheShark and Blimpboy like this.