The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I have no issues with the CD deluxe boxes. I think they're beautifully done and well constructed. Shame about the blu-ray box.

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Same here...

D-rock and Pizza like this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Nesmith said roughly the same thing about the record (single release) of "Valleri"...

Folknik and Keith V like this.
  4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yes. But he had an agenda at the time while making the album so things are magnified in his mind. Plus for being the worst album in the history of the world it contains arguably their biggest hit.

5. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yeah and I would not put it past Nez even 50 years later.....................

Keith V and Folknik like this.
  6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Mostly... That it's very quickly followed by Super-Deluxe Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius & Jones Ltd.

7. readr

readr Forum Resident

Stereo remix of I'm A Believer and I am hoping for any kind of remix attempt on Sometime In The Morning, Laugh, and Hold On Girl. A lot more TV versions, like the last box. Backing tracks for Mary, Mary, Look Out, and other album tracks, maybe the important outtakes as well. I expect a few revelations as well.

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Andrew already played a NY Sessions backing track on Come To The Sunshine, as well an alt vocals version of 99 Pounds. So, I am hopeful of the NY Sessions on this set . It really doesn't fit here or Headquarters, but I think it needs to be on this set so that Headquarters is only the sessions and backing tracks from that album. To put the NY sessions on Headquarters would be a waste of valuable disc space, since there is a ton of recordings from those session still in existence.

9. readr

readr Forum Resident

I agree.....include the NY sessions on MOTM. Then, the HQ SD box set can be all HQ sessions. I think it would be totally fair to reissue the HQ Sessions set in this new box format (maybe with a bonus 45 of All Of Your Toys/The Girl I Knew Somewhere), then, move right along to PAC&J.

10. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Was nez really hacked off? I thought it was nez being nez

11. Grand_Ennui

I wonder if they'd include a backing track for "Mary, Mary" since there was already one released on "The Monkees" super deluxe edition?

12. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I can't wait for this set. I've been waiting this one for quite a while now. More Of The Monkees is a top 3 album of theirs for me. I'm not sure why so many dislike this album. I think there are many great songs on it.

Bart Mazzetti and monkeetrade like this.
  13. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

The 3-4 sub-par tracks keep it off my "great albums" list.

14. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

From what I remember from Andrew's book. this was a special recording session put together for Life magazine. Nesmith was in the producer's chair with Kirschner looking over his shoulder. The other 3 Monkees were supposed to provide backing vocals for Mary, Mary. However, they kept clowning, and Nez was quoted as saying "Really, no $h!t, cool it!", and told the magazine that the "New York Guys, they bug me". Supposedly Andrew played part of the session tapes at some gathering a few years ago.

Hep Alien, cwitt1980 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Only available at J.C. Penney?

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Half of the album are among their best songs, the other half is lazy, Kirshner-driven crud.

In my uncalled-for opinion:

Great:
    She
    Mary Mary
    I'm a Believer
    Look Out
    Grizelda
    Steppin Stone

Bad:
    When Love Comes
    The Day We Fall On A Pile Of Dog Poop
    Laugh (TERRIBLE song!)
    Hold On Girl

Passable
    Kind Of Girl (Great song, LOUSY production. There's much better mixes than the original one)
    Sometime (Great Micky vocal, beyond lousy production.)

Still - looking very forward to this release!!!!

The MEZ likes this.
  17. Eobard Thawne

Did u mean the other 2(jones, tork)?
    I gots 2 reads this book!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Micky was singing background vox as well

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  19. Eobard Thawne

Dang they never did the theme either

20. Eobard Thawne

What episode? I may have heard it or have it n my feed

D-rock likes this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Posted today by Andrew Sandoval on Facebook:

Six years ago, I was literally on the road with The Monkees Tour in England. Today, I need to get out of bed and into the studio to do some new mixes of material for a box set of their biggest selling album, More Of The Monkees.

22. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

Well, that is pretty exciting!

23. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

another post -this time on twitter stated that Andrew listened to the mono mixes of Grizelda and I'm A Believer on tape for the first time. Which begs the question: what is the mix used on the previous MOTM 2 disc set for the mono I'm A Believer? Perhaps a TV mix?

Hep Alien and marmalade like this.
  24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Maybe he finally got a cassette player in his car.

25. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I believe in the second part of this two-part podcast interview from the Good Times tour Andrew claimed that he had scratch track listings and sufficient content to create Super Deluxe boxes for MOTM, HQ, and PAC&J. For HQ, he said that there was enough extant material to do a reconfigured box that was not a straight reissue of the Sessions box.

Where's That Sound Coming From?: WTSCF Podcast Episode 18: Andrew Sandoval Interview Part Two

After I heard this, I assumed it would be a fait accompli that all three remaining albums would get the treatment. We just gotta give it time, if you will.

RE: the "Mary, Mary" session for reporters. I believe this took place in October 1966, three months after the original tracking session. So, if Andrew saw fit, it would fit the chronological scheme to include it on MOTM.

My hope is that the third/sessions disc of MOTM is rounded out by the January 1967 NYC sessions and that some form of the Phoenix concert appears on HQ. I think those are the best fits thematically.

It is interesting how quickly and convoluted the Monkees train was rolling in January 1967. I believe the Phoenix show took place on January 21, which, if memory serves correctly, was the same day Jeff Barry started tracking the last Kirshner-supervised sessions in New York. It was also five days after they tracked "She's So Far Out, She's In" and the first version of "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" in their first session as a (quasi-)self-contained unit.