The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

No, not at all. There have been many posters that love to troll Monkees threads. If you are not one of those, I for one welcome intelligent discussion.

2. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

how about explaining thread navigation is that just helpful info?

3. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Top right corner of the page there is a box that says "search". You can search for key words or thread topics.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

There is a search bar on the top right of the page. You can type in a name, song, artist, whatever and it will search the forum for you. It's kind of like Google but it's for the forum. There are a variety of topics within the forum. There may even be a Batman thread of all the various versions of Batman.

905 likes this.
  5. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Hey, don't feel bad. It takes a while to get a grasp of the do's and don'ts here.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. 905

905 Senior Member

You can always Google a subject , then add Steve Hoffman.TV .

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

Number 1950 arrived in Brooklyn New York yesterday evening. Just opened it. Arrived safe and sound, no dings or dents.

I ordered just a couple of days ago based solely on opinions read here. I was going to skip this one, but some Xmas gift $$ allowed me the opportunity to indulge.

It's snowy and blustery here today, so I guess it'll be an afternoon of MotM as a reward for sidewalk clearing.

Hep Alien, action pact and jfmlaugh like this.
  8. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I keep going back to the TV Mixes and Live recordings...loving this set!

Hep Alien, PhoffiFozz and FJFP like this.
  9. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

As I'm still waiting for my set to arrive, which of the new backing tracks is the most revealing?

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Thought I was going to check my mail box for the set. Buuuuuut, I'm snowed in today. :sigh:

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The mix of "So Goes Love" on ML1 is also on the debut's 2-disc deluxe.

They are quite specific with their language on these Handmade sets.

I love how I took an hour to answer that guys question about what songs on the 2CDs sets are found elsewhere, and I mainly get s--- from people who don't read the liner notes as carefully as I.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

No it isn't - I've got both CDs and they're two totally different mixes of the song. The instruments are panned differently, Davy's voice is double-tracked in the deluxe edition mix but not in the ML1 mix, and they run at different speeds.
    ML1 mix:

Deluxe edition mix: The Monkees - So Goes Love

WonkyWilly, Hep Alien, BobT and 2 others like this.
  13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Agreed, but after the the first 2 albums. Love the Monkees and really got into them with "Headquarters". In fact, I have never owned any copy in any format of the first 2 albums until now. I was actually on the fence about purchasing this box set, but in the end I am very glad I did.

Cannot wait for the next one.

readr likes this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

A lot of the mixes are similar/close but not the same. It easy to get them (no pun intended) mixed up. But I know my Carlisle Wheelings and So Goes Loveses and trust me when I say ML1 has unique mixes.

15. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

The 1987 mix of So Goes Love can only be found in the US on Missing Links. The track was remixed in 2006 (listed as 'first collected on the album Missing Links' but it is a different mix at a different speed with double tracked vocal as noted above) and then again in 2014.

MagneticNorthpaw and Hep Alien like this.
  16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I dont think just polling the folks on this site gives you an accurate view on what Monkees album is the best. Folks here are serious music people. You need a cross section of all types of music consumers, including females, of which there arent many on here.

17. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I think a missing links set would be great if they remixed all the tracks to the quality they apparently have been here - to sound perfectly vintage. The So Goes Love on there is great, but it doesn't feel like a 60s mix at all.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

19. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Maybe if you spend 10 minutes listening to the mixes of "So Goes Love" on Missing Links and on the 2-CD version of the first album, you might discover liner notes are not always infallible. :cool:

20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Try a Facebook poll. The consensus of favorite Monkees album would probably be "The Monkees Greatest Hits." Among the general population, the Monkees' albums are somewhat obscure.

I remember when the 3-CD deluxe edition of Present was announced on the Monkees' Facebook page. People had absolutely no idea what it was. The majority of the comments were along the lines of "Where's Peter?" People were confused wondering if they were doing a new album, how could Davy be on it after he passed away, why Peter isn't on it (some of them thought he'd been thrown out of the group) and what's Nez doing there?

Remember those polls the Monkees did a few years ago for which songs they should do in concert? On Facebook there were hundreds of comments, and a lot of them were asking for "I'm A Believer" or "Last Train To Clarksville," as if it had not occurred to the Monkees that they ought to do those songs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Hep Alien, 905, dangiedr and 2 others like this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

My own poll would have Missing Links Volume 1, Instant Replay and Good Times in the top spots.

DaveJ and MarkTheShark like this.
  22. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

45 rpm deadwax inscriptions...

"I'm A Believer" 2017 Remix: Well Alright
    "I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone" Vocals Only: No Girl Not Me

23. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

What's interesting (to me at least) is that for some of the songs, there are NO final multis or even pre-bounce stage tapes. I would LOVE to hear full remixes of "Clarksville", "Take a Giant Step" and "Gonna Buy Me a Dog". For the latter, I'd bet there's some more hijinks from Micky and Davy that happened after the fade out. Most surprising, though, is no final multi of "Clarksville". You would think with it being the first hit, Colgems would have kept it around for later use. Those original mono and stereo tape mixes must have a lot of wear.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

We happen to be sharing perspectives in a thread covering a Rhino Handmade release. Given that fact, what "serious music people" think is really the only thing that matters. Rhino Handmade releases are not marketed to, nor purchased by, the "general public". The fact that The Monkees Greatest Hits would likely win a poll of the general public is not relevant to this particular discussion, in this forum.

The original viewpoint, that PAC&J was "generally considered the best Monkees album" is therefore quite accurate, given the context of this particular discussion. The poll results referenced in @mrbobdobalina's post above, support that assertion.

DaveJ, PhoffiFozz, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

np: I think you are mistaken. We were talking about what the most popular Monkees album is, not handmade release.