The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

But they are already releasing lots of non-Monkees releases.

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Not a bad idea at all, but I think a single 30 track disk would be perfect for that.....just the real high spots of all the box sets. And maybe the remixed I'm A Believer would actually make it to CD......

Jimmy B., Hep Alien, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

We better get to work on some suitable playlists :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. stereoguy

Great thought!

Keith V likes this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

They'd need to be really careful with the track selection. The 2CD version of The Definitive Monkees included a disc of Missing Links tracks - but no "All the King's Horses" or "All of Your Toys"! Had to leave room for "Kicking Stones" and "Shake 'Em Up."

Mechanical Man, Hep Alien and Keith V like this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I used to have The Definitive Monkees. It was pretty much a thrown together set which Rhino didn’t have anything to do with. First disc was a good greatest hits but you’re right about the second one. Even the booklet was sloppily done, they call John London “John Lennon”.

cwitt1980 and Hep Alien like this.
  7. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

I had missed that, but there it is: "After his discharge [from the U.S. Air Force], attended college in San Antonio, forming a singing duo with John Lennon."

The New Nerk Twins in Texas? Why was I not informed?

Hep Alien and Keith V like this.
  8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. stereoguy

That is funny!

10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I would definitely be down for 1CD albums, with a definitive track listing of outtake songs for the bonus tracks, and then all tracks remixed where possible to ensure maximum fidelity, BUT with vintage style mixes so it all hangs together. No outfakes. Think disc one of the present box, but swap any doubled songs for a new stereo mix of Penny Music and Midnight Train. Tracks like Calico Girlfriend and You're So Good aren't considered finished vocally, so they can be used as rules for expedition to ensure a solid collection of finished songs.

Keith V and Hep Alien like this.
  11. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Actually they have - see HDTracks. Unfortunately it was using inferior tapes.

12. stereoguy

No, meaning on a physical medium, SACD or Blu-Ray Audio

13. FJFP

This is my "Expanded Edition" of MOTM.

[​IMG]
    All the bonus tracks are the 2017 Remixes, except "Ladies Aid..." (1966 Mono Mix), "...Feet" (1966 Mono Mix), and "Kicking Stones" (2006 Stereo Mix) [-1dB]. All tracks are faded to match period mono mixes, or previously released mixes, where applicable. For Words, I shortened to fade to match the TV mono mix.

As for the album, I used the 1966 Stereo mixes of "She", "...Knockin'...", "Steppin' Stone", "The Kind Of Girl...", and "Laugh". "Mary, Mary" and "I'm A Believer" don't get their 2017 Stereo mixes because I don't like the off time vocal on Mary, Mary, and the 45 for "...Believer" is too noisy to make it usable, plus a couple of vocal timing issues. Also of note, I edited to 2017 stereo mix of "Look Out" to match the edit on the 1966 Stereo mix, slightly bad timing and everything. While maybe 13-28 could be re-ordered, I'm happy with this for now. No studio chatter. No backing tracks. No alternates. Just pure, finished music.

14. FJFP

Edit to this post, I was able to remove the new backing vocals from the Laugh Remix, so I've slotted that in too. I also did some tweaking around on the rip of the I'm a Believer remix, and was able to get the vocal in the first break back in time, and get most of the groove rumbling removed, so I'm using that for now.

15. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

It's too bad that Sandoval couldn't do this in the first place, before releasing it. I'd still like to know how the vocals wound up out of sync on several songs, or how this ever happens in general. Did he do the sync work himself or did somebody else? Very unprofessional regardless.

16. FJFP

It really is a shame, because the remixes sound great outside of the vocals, and even then it only affects a couple of songs (Mary, Sometime, Believer). I'm still perplexed by the flange sound on the vocal on Mike's I Don't Think You Know Me, which sounds like the body of the vocal was artificially extracted. It's not like this ok the Music Box or Missing Links mixes, or anything else here. But again, the backing track sounds great.

17. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

What sounds weird to me is the stereo mix of the Peter Tork version of "I Don't Think You Know Me" -- I have only played it in my car and haven't heard it on headphones, but it just sounds weird to me, for lack of a better word, like the whole thing is flanged or pseudo-Duophonic or something.

18. FJFP

I thought that at first too, but I think it's just that there's some extra guitar stuff here that kinda gets lost in the mono mix. It makes a lot more sense on headphones I later discovered. Love being able to hear Davy so clearly on that mix - I wish we could hear his attempt, regardless of how bad it's meant to be.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Maybe I'm alone on this but that would really tick me off after I bought all these expensive box sets. Bad enough the first CD in each is the umpteenth time I've bought the albums proper. If they cherry picked the rest of the content from these sets and released it in a much cheaper 2 CD set I'd throw a Monkees fit. :tsk:

20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Remember when all the Monkees' original albums were out of print and some of the later ones were so obscure they weren't even listed in discographies?

But yeah...I remember when I just wanted all nine to be released on CD and now I have at least two different CD versions of each. I think I have enough as far as the original nine are concerned.

21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The early 90s were a rough time for fans. I scrounged just to find the Rhino vinyl I didn’t yet have....then 94-95 hit...then 2006 hit...then 2010 and the vaults really busted open. I had to stop at Birds Bees Deluxe.

22. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I'd be in for a two CD best of with a blu-ray audio like Rhino did for the Doors.

23. stereoguy

That would work for me too. I'd like to see a bunch of remixes on a CD set.

Keith V likes this.
  24. stereoguy

Like they havent done this sort of thing already 10 times?

JuanTCB and Keith V like this.
  25. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

The 70's & 80's were hard to find a lot of the 9 original out of print American lp's also.
    No internet, Ebay, & my area didn't have any local used vinyl music shops around yet.

I didn't find any of The Monkees albums untill 1979. A sealed mono copy of headquarters that i was able to get C.O.D.
    Through a mail order outfit. (Old store stock)

I had hand me down original copies that were beat up & Skipped of the first 5 lp's along with Instant Replay , present, & Changes.
    I had still never heard of the Head Soundtrack, Untill a used record shop opened up locally.

I found minty copies of the first 5 along with that Head soundtrack, & This was about 1982.
    Loved the foil cover.:cool:

Since then, I had to have all 9 re-issued RHINO cd's as they were released through the years.
    I have probably spent more money on the Monkees releases/Re-Releases on vinyl & Cd than any other group.

( Probably not more than The Beatles however!)