The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

My big thing is true stereo mixes where they can be found, full range. 44/16 leaves a lot to be desired. 24/96 is fine. Andrew does some good work overall, and uses what he can find. I just prefer vinyl or hi-res.

2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Finally was able to order my copy from the official Monkees store. Just received by confirmation email. I hope it's as good as I've heard people say it is. Can't wait to get it.

Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  3. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

You'll love it. :righton:

pablo fanques and bvb1123 like this.
  4. bvb1123

Awesome. I was worried I wasn't going to get one on time. I foolishly overspent on Christmas and it took a couple months to free up the money to get it. So happy to actually get it!

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm probably the same. Although the Monkees have had more product put out than some other bands I'm just as collective about. If a group like The Kinks had box sets like these, I'd be all over them... the Fabs too (which is beginning to happen).

Pizza, Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

If The Kinks did box sets like these I would be overjoyed.

pablo fanques and intv7 like this.
  7. bvb1123

I got my copy a couple hours ago. Been listening ever since! This is Great! Very happy with this Super Deluxe box!

8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I wonder how many left for sale.
    Fairly certain this will sell out.

FJFP likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

IIRC, when "The Monkees" (s/t) super deluxe edition was down to 500 copies left, they were sending out emails to people signed up to Rhino's emailing list. I would imagine they'll do the same for "More of..."

And yeah, I also think this one'll sell out...

FJFP likes this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I just got a Fisher KX200 and threw in my Missing Links Vol 1 CD (FLAC files) on and wow I'm hearing Chadwick's vocals on Of You in decent mastering without the need of the newer remixed (and less well mastered) versions of the song. I adore this amp.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. FJFP

There isn't a stereo mix of this song The replicates the 1966 mono mix is there? I can only find ones with the backing vocals that weren't used at this point.

12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Isn't that Micky? Or does Andrew's book credit Chadwick?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

audiomixer , you STILL havent explained WHY "There won't be any SACDs. Period".

We are all waiting for your explanation....

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

At this point, with all of the box sets having been released, it's not in their model.
    And the audience is getting smaller...
    They aren't The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.

JuanTCB likes this.
  15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

1) But all the box sets HAVENT been released. Unless I'm wrong, there are two more that are very likely to be released.
    2) Your reasoning suggests that Rhino will just stop releasing Monkees product because in your view, everything has already been released, which I think is an incorrect thought. Rhino is looking to tap The Monkees franchise for every possible dollar.
    SACDs gives them a completely untapped new source of revenue, High Res audio versions of every Monkees album, with tons of remixes.
    They dont need to sell a ton of them either...the price will be high, so much fewer units would need to be sold to cover the production costs.
    3) They arent The Beatles or The Stones, but they NEVER were, so not sure how that enters the equation.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I know all the box sets haven't been released. Read into my sentence; all the box sets released up until now.
    Obviously, you want this to happen. I, personally, don't think it's necessary. The CDs sound great. I just don't think it will ever happen.
    And if you want them so badly, I would email Dr. Rhino daily instead of expressing your preference here. Something might happen, instead of nothing...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I think the CD's released in 1995 by Bill Inglot sound excellent. None of the subesquent re-attempts have been an improvement except "Pisces".

And if it does happen, it's always possible that Rhino will mess it up badly and not care afterwards like with the HDTracks releases.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. Raidersfan

Raidersfan Forum Resident

I can see why they started these box sets with the later albums and waited for the first ones.... seems harder to find some rare tracks. The first Monkees box one disc was all solo early pre Monkees releases/recordings. Now on More of...we get new mixes. They sound GREAT. It's just that we wouldn't have had these mixes before...this is to be a vintage series. I'm still grateful. I wish they could find the Snuff Garrett tapes, though.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  19. FJFP

I still find it funny how every single Monkees album after this in the original run (Head excepted) raided this album for extra filler, some great, some good, and some atrocious.

Hep Alien, pablo fanques and dangiedr like this.
  20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The 3-CD boxes picked up where the 2-CD deluxe editions left off. I thought they went with three CDs for Birds/Bees because of the abundance of recording sessions, and it was a Rhino Handmade release because it had needle drops. I could be completely off base on this, though.

I am under the impression that they went back to the beginning and started doing 3-CD versions of the earlier albums basically because of public demand, i.e. originally they hadn't been intending to do that. Hence the inclusion of what some might consider filler.

Hep Alien, pablo fanques and Keith V like this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Sounds right to me. I mainly got the set for the elusive Birds Bees mono album (I’ve since sold it and stopped buying all the boxes. I don’t have the $$$ or the time to digest everything).

boboquisp likes this.
  22. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Has that happened yet? I haven't been able to find it anywhere

23. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

Not yet (I checked up to yesterday). You Tube would be most likely (eventually).

pablo fanques likes this.
  24. FJFP

I'll try and get it up tomorrow. I'm also working on getting the best remixed version of the album I can up.

nesfan1964, pablo fanques and seeknom like this.
  25. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

I like the idea of that (the remix "I'm A Believer" being posted and also your list of best remixed versions for "More Of The Monkees".

Hep Alien likes this.