The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It'll probably never happen but I still hope for a few more new tracks with Tork and Nesmith exploring some vocal work together. I think on Justus (and Tork's version of Milkshake) that they proved that there is a worthy dynamic there.

Hep Alien and MarkTheShark like this.
  2. I'm baffled by the love for "Lady's Baby". It's an awful song and the performance isn't that good either. Peter did better stuff in his career before and since.

3. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

And he does sound very strong on "Long Title" as well. Of course he is double or triple tracked, but it is a good vocal performance. And the harmony on "Early Morning Blues and Greens" is sublime....

Hep Alien, Grand_Ennui and cwitt1980 like this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't think there is much love for it. Ha. I'm just saying it's not terrible. I think it was a bit overemphasized on one of the super deluxes that makes people think it must be some sort of gem. Those sets are for completists so I'm okay with the various versions since they exist.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I agree. Since he was doing that song with basically the Buffalo Springfield, you can tell he was in his own realm. I'm one who thinks he could have been a great fit in that band. The early version on the Head super deluxe is one of my favorite Monkees outtakes. It has a Velvet Underground vibe to it.

Hep Alien and mrbobdobalina like this.
  6. mrbobdobalina

The version without the baby is at least listenable.

Monkeefan88, TFEC and Hep Alien like this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Aww. I always thought that was a squeaky toy! It makes more sense Peter was holding babies up to microphones at this point.

FJFP and mrbobdobalina like this.
  8. mrbobdobalina

It's just hard to imagine what must have been going through those four individuals minds at the time -- late 67 / early 68.

JuanTCB and cwitt1980 like this.
  9. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I distinctly remember from Andrew Sandoval's book that the "Lady's Baby" sessions put Hank Cicalo off working with Peter going forward. He compared Peter's sessions unfavorably to Michael's, i.e., the former would sit around with a revolving group of friends, drink and/or get stoned and sort of aimlessly jam for hours on less than stellar material whereas the latter would come in on a Saturday or Sunday with two or three songs ready to go and bang them out.

After filming for Head started and Peter wrapped up the "best of his best" in February, he pretty much became a non-entity in the recording studio for the remainder of 1968. I think he only then worked on "Ditty Diego" and "California, Here It Comes."

Hep Alien, Grand_Ennui and RobRoyF like this.
  10. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I just received this box and have (so far) listened to the first disc and "spot-listened" to some songs on discs 2 & 3. (I really, really like the 2017 Remix of "Sometime In The Morning"!)

Not counting my original mono & stereo vinyl in questionable condition, I now have 4 copies of this album on CD:
    1987 Arista
    1994 Rhino
    2006 Rhino Deluxe
    2017 Rhino Handmade Super Deluxe
    (not to mention 7 songs from this album are on the Listen To The Band box and 9 songs are on Music Box)

That's too many copies - for me. (Now I know I just heard some major Monkee fans keeling over after reading this, and I do understand! So of course, your mileage my vary!)

1) What is the general consensus the Arista CD now? Is it superfluous? I mean, the remixes and the overall sound quality don't really excite me compared to the more recent reissues.
    2) What about the 1994 release? The bonus tracks appear to be accounted for, in some fashion in the 2006 release?
    • "Don't Listen to Linda" (Boyce, Hart) (First Recorded Version) - 2:28 - seems like the same version in 1994 & 2006
    • "I'll Spend My Life with You" (Boyce, Hart) (First Recorded Version) - 2:30 - seems like the same version in 1994 & 2006
    • "I Don't Think You Know Me" (Goffin, King) (Second Recorded Version) - 2:19 - seems like the same version in 1994 & 2006
    • "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)" (Diamond) (Extended Mix) - 2:53 - mono in 1994, stereo in 2006 - are these different takes?
    • "I'm a Believer" (Diamond) (Early Version) - mono in 1994, stereo in 2006 (no Davy talking in the intro) - same take, Davy mixed out from stereo?
    Opinions welcome!

John Bliss and Hep Alien like this.
  11. Some folks prefer the Arista releases for mastering I guess but I like the deluxe myself. I got rid of the others. I don't have enough for multiple versions so i always have to pick one. My only complaint is that I wish that there was a lossless hi def download option (or blu-ray or DVD-A)

12. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I think the Arista CD still has some unique remixes. Whether or not they are "essential" is up to you, I guess.

Your distinctions of the various alternate versions above seem pretty accurate. As far as the different mixes/edits of "Look Out (HCT)" I would have to listen to them again. I think the 1994 Rhino one is also on the Handmade set, is it not? I do remember various versions have the keyboard part in different places, like it was edited back into the song after the fact.

Speaking of which, this probably belongs in a different thread, but regarding the song "This Just Doesn't Seem To Be My Day" from the first album: the mono TV version (included in the Handmade box set for the first album) has a long instrumental break in the middle of the song -- which sounds a lot like what we hear at the END of the "long fade" version which first appeared on the 1986 Rhino LP reissue and then on the 1987 Arista CD. Could one be a re-edit of the other?

Hep Alien, Keith V and pablo fanques like this.
  13. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I made the mistake of selling off the Arista CD's before actually A/B'ing them (in realtime - 2 CD players both Arista and Rhino versions simultaneously selecting between the two playbacks at the receiver). I ended up having to buy them all back. Tracks on the Arista disks were mastered by Bill Inglot from the multi-tracks (ADD). The next Rhino releases went for the original mix from the mixdown masters (AAD). The Arista sounded much more present.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    wayneklein likes this.
  14. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Bill also cleaned up a lot of bad edits, made the stereo a little less lopsided (when possible,) fixed the problems on "Sometime In the Morning" and made it sound like the mono mix, and lengthened some of the fades. It was a Herculean effort since, in his own words, it was a "train-wreck of an album" sonically.

15. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Thanks for the further details. I was not aware of this, but it stands to reason. Are these deets given in liner notes somewhere? What clued me to the differences was an interview in Goldmine with Andrew Sandoval.

pablo fanques likes this.
  16. empirelvr

Nope. Never mentioned anywhere, not even that there were remixes. Only die-hard combination Monkeephiles and Audiophiles really noticed, and Bill confirmed the remixes when I talked to him one time.

Hep Alien and Marty T like this.
  17. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

We're all of the tracks on th Aristas remixed? Or just certain tracks?

(I miss the Mixology(?) Site....)

18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

19. empirelvr

And the short answer is, no. At the time of that release, some multis were still MIA.

20. Monkeefan88

Monkeefan88 Well-Known Member

Wow, way late on this, but I'm new to the forum.... Just wanted to say how spot on this was..... Guess I was lucky my set didn't fall apart ... But was disappointed that some of the promised material never made it to the set.... Probably nit picking I guess on my part but given the price tag and the constant reassurences from Andrew...... Water under the bridge at this point.

21. Monkeefan88

Monkeefan88 Well-Known Member

I inboxed Andrew about this and specifically asked if that would finally include the actual audio,(hearing what they sounded like at this early stage was my number one reason for ordering)
    He replied with one word "yes"
    I also asked him about an alternate take of listen to the band from 33& 1/3rd he confirmed that too.... So 50/50 split for me.... But the Clarksville train vid was number one for me
    All nit picking from me I know but still...

marmalade and FJFP like this.
  22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

It depended on what they had at the time. Some tracks are remixes, some are original stereo, some are original mono. Also, there are differences between those Arista CDs and the Rhino LP reissues that immediately preceded them.

The "Headquarters" Arista CD was the only one fully remixed from beginning to end. It also is said to be the only Monkees album where multitracks are extant for every song.

23. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Aah, the old 'sell and subsequently buy back' syndrome. Yes, been there...
    I sold all my 1994 Rhino (not re-bought... yet!) and just have the first four albums as deluxe versions and the first two hand made (Birds & Bees, Head) plus the mini album box set and missing links one and two. I'm happy with them too...

Marty T and marmalade like this.
  24. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

93 pages to go through. How is the SQ of the mono mix on the super deluxe edition compared to the 2006 2CD remaster: Is it more or less bright or about the same? Love this album but don't want to spend money on something I won't listen to.

25. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Less bright - outside of Grizelda, it’s the best I’ve heard the mono mix sound

pablo fanques and Propinquity like this.