The Monkees "The Monkees" 2020–Deluxe Edition 2 LPs on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Oct 9, 2020.

1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Holy crap - a thousand copies in a day? I'm impressed!

2. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yeah, when I was finally able to order, it was black vinyl. Maybe that's why the site was messed up, they were changing it! LOL...

jimhb likes this.
  3. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Yea, I am impressed.

I don't know anybody who remotely likes The Monkees, let alone know who they are.

Paul Sofronoff likes this.
  4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Guess I got the yellow. Matches my teeth.

PhoffiFozz and PoeRaider like this.
  5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I am so jazzed for this release. Isn't it just the best thing ever? Kevin FKN Gray cutting the Monkees from the original stereo masters? With the cool TV mixes on a second LP?!

Please, keep the series going, and take my money dammit!

FJFP, McLover and marc with a c like this.
  6. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

It’s the music that matters. I hopefully ordered in time to get the yellow vinyl, but if it’s black vinyl so be it. I wish there was away for Rhino to license the Colgems label for this release, but obviously too late for that

7. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

The way I read the description this is a Kevin Gray analogue cut right? Looks like I got the yellow...

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

So why did you bother to post in this thread?

supermd, Upsiditus, Iceman08 and 5 others like this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I doubt that. I mean, most of their output doesn’t sound like they used more than one or two mics on a drum kit. I can imagine they used more than maybe 12 mics for an entire recording.

supermd, forthlin, PhoffiFozz and 6 others like this.
  10. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Just one Mike in the band as far as I know. Unless you mean the session musicians. I suppose some of them COULD have been named Mike. :D

supermd, Iceman08, forthlin and 8 others like this.
  11. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Wow, yellow already sold out? Guess that I shouldn't have hesitated. I was just thinking that I prefer the mono for the first couple of albums and this one isn't one of my Monkee favorites, so I slept on it. Oh well, I'll still get it for the Kevin Gray mastering.

12. Typo I meant milked :tiphat:

Simon A, J_D__, c-eling and 4 others like this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I’m a fan and I agree.

I can’t imagine this beating the sound of my 1st stereo pressing (Hollywood lacquers, typos on cover/label), so I’m holding back.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I only have an original UK mono so this is a definite purchase for me - hopefully the first of a series?

Lee Davis likes this.
  15. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Well, "Micky" is a variation of "Mike" or "Michael".

16. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

George Michael Dolenz Jr.

BigManRestless and ToEhrIsHuman like this.
  17. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Hey Hey it was rigged, already cut before the voting started.

ToEhrIsHuman and Isamet like this.
  18. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Yeah, I know. I have 'HEAD' on Blu-ray. :D

Iceman08 likes this.
  19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Perhaps you should get out more? :)

Monkeefan88, Upsiditus and johnnybrum like this.
  20. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

My order is in. The Monkees first album is a GREAT record, and its in my top 10 albums of all time. The music is fabulous. The recording, mix, and mastering, however isnt. I've always felt that mix could have been a lot better. The EQ on the guitars is screetchy, there is a pronounced lack of bass response on the LP, and there is a lack of "power" in the mix.

I've been advocating for a full remix of this album for years. The answer seems to be "no can do" , because there are several key multitracks missing, "Last Train To Clarksville" being among them. I have responded to that by saying remix whatever multis you have, and do ground up restoration on the rest using modern technology. Bring this amazing album up to modern standards.

I will be buying the new version above, because of my love for this album. I see it will be mastered by Kevin Gray, whose work I know is superb. I will be curious to see how it compares to the 1960s German RCA LP issue, which is pretty much considered to be the best sounding vinyl of this album.

21. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Prepare to pony up some money for the yellow vinyl on eBay.
    On the other hand, somebody will order a new one in two months and somehow get the yellow vinyl.

22. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I can’t find it now, but I thought that when I ordered the Warren Zevon last week that it said somewhere it probably wasn’t going to ship until early next year. I would imagine this will ship after that one.

The last one of these I ordered (Morphine: Yes) took over four months. My order confirmation is dated September 10 and it shipped on January 23.

23. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

I can wait as long as it arrives in good shape. My deal is, I prefer that it ships during the cooler months, anyway. The way the postal system delays and re-routes packages in my lil' slice of Hell is a shanda. I hate to think of an expensive, limited edition lp left farblondjet, sweltering in a sun-soaked mail truck traveling to-and-fro, hither, thither and yither!

24. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I have no complaints about the condition it arrived in. I don’t have any complaints about the timeline, either. You preorder something before it’s pressed and it takes as long as it takes.

Still trying to decide if I’m going to jump on this one or not. Given how hard it’s been to find an original that’s not beat to crap, I probably should.

cloggedmind likes this.
  25. Monkees67

Monkees67 Forum Resident

My order was just a couple of minutes apart from yours @ #21954. I've had it confirmed my order is the yellow vinyl version - so I think we are both safe (-:

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.