The Morning Show Appletv+ Jennifer Aniston Reese Witherspoon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spotlightkid, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

I will watch this show:

2. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Looks awesome! Was excited when I heard about it somewhere last week from hearing Jenn A. & Reese W. in it...wow, Steve Carell & Billy Crudup, too!! Great Cast!

3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Disclaimer: Fully Apple eco-system, immersed since switching to the Mac in 2003.

I wasn't sure about the whole Apple TV+ thing when announced, outside of Spielberg's series, despite being an ATV 4K owner with most of my film buying now through iTunes. I've enjoyed Steve Carrel in Little Miss Sunshine but otherwise his appeal has eluded me. Likewise I parted company with Friends during its 4th series and never really returned. The on stage announcement for The Morning Show made it look glossy but lightweight and I'd not given it another thought until the trailer yesterday.

Now? I'll sign up to watch this show, likely at the expense of NowTV (another streaming option here in the UK). The show looks to have much more dramatic heft than I initially thought, and Jennifer Anniston looks to be terrific in it - I'm glad the show isn't leaning on her 'rom com' persona and is giving her a role befitting her talents. Everyone else looks to be equally strong in it.

I'm intrigued by Spielberg's series and also with See, the Snoopy in Space/Peanuts show also looks promising. But I'll sign up on day 1 for The Morning Show on the basis of this superb trailer.

4. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Four episode in & my wife & I are really liking this one. Strong writing & a great cast. Hard waiting a week though. Should have waited & binge-watched.

Deuce66, George P and coffeetime like this.
  6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Only just done episode 2 here and the series so far is a winner. Beautifully written, shot and acted. Those early morning shots of Alex et al arriving at the studio are so evocative of our trips to New York with jet lag causing us to go out walking the streets in the early hours. Like yourself, my wife & I both love the show so far - only trick is getting an uninterrupted hour to ourselves to watch TMS without kids bursting in with something vitally important they simply must share right there and then.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Absolutely! My girlfriend and I are loving this show but it sucks waiting a whole week to see another episode.

Deuce66 and Scotian like this.
  8. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have now watched nine episodes. I am impressed with the acting and the show sets up a lot of tension. The way that the show's producers and writers ultimately resolve the tension and the plot threads which they have built up through Episode 9 will determine for me whether the show is a resounding success or a disappointment. It may sound odd that the jury is still out through nine episodes of a show with this much star power, but the questions and issues raised through nine episodes deserve a very thoughtful and high quality resolution. Anything less and the show will seem to me to have failed.

9. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Holy smokes, what a final episode! My heart rate shot up about 100bpm faster during the final 5-1o minutes.

My wife and binged the whole series over the last 5 days or so. One of the best things we've watched in years.

It seems that they've left it open enough to continue into a second season but has there been any official word on that? It could also definitely stand alone as just the one season and feel complete.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

There will be a second season!

The Morning Show Season 2 Has Been in the Works From the Very Beginning

Deuce66, pablo fanques and Hot Ptah like this.
  11. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, dynamite show. I was very skeptical, but they did a terrific job. The final couple of episodes were fairly wrenching: I can imagine Matt Lauer (formerly of the Today Show) watching this and wincing.

I thought it was a brave choice to make Steve Carrell a charming, witty, smart guy who also happened to be a kind of entitled rapist who could get away with it and justify it whenever he wanted to. Clearly, he was shattered at the end when <certain character> dies. I also thought it was brave that both Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon were willing to have moments where they looked less-than pristine, and their characters clearly had some deep-seated flaws that I think made them more human.

This is also an extraordinarily lavish show, reportedly costing $12 million an episode. Every shot, every set, every close up just sparkles, with great cinematography and stellar art direction. It's also tailor-made for Dolby Vision -- it looks amazing in 4K. A fantastic show in every way. I was not expecting anything nearly this classy and sophisticated.

Dan C, coffeetime, Deuce66 and 5 others like this.
  13. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The final episode of Season 1 was better than I expected. I think this is a high quality show. I am looking forward to Season 2.

Matt Starr and George P like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Both The Morning Show and For All Mankind on Apple TV+ look great. Very high production values on both series.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aren't they fantastic? They're among the best damned 4K Dolby Vision shows on television right now, really a great look.

pablo fanques likes this.
  16. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Enjoyed the first season as well. So many great actors with Aniston, Carrell, Witherspoon, Duplass and Crudup.

Only thing that bothered me, was the all-Ikea furniture of Alex Levys checkroom. ;-)

17. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Carrell is great as he seems to be in everything he does. Crudup, Aniston, Witherspoon, just a great cast. Is Aniston actually 50. I know it's Hollywood, but she sure looks fine, as usual. Four episodes in and liking it all, so far.

Matt Starr and George P like this.
  18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I binged this over the weekend, and although I was surprised at first that it was not a comedy, I thought it was very good and could not stop watching.

George P likes this.
  19. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Oh I'm so happy to hear that they are giving it a second season. I tuned in last Friday on the recommendation of a friend with notoriously questionable taste and was sucked in completely by the conclusion of Carell's first scene, Wound up watching 4 eps the first night, then 3 and 3 to wrap it up. Loved it thoroughly even though I wouldn't be caught dead watching a Morning News Show in real life. Kudos to all involved!

George P likes this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I just a got a free 1 year subscription to AppleTV for buying an IPad.

I’m now 4 episodes into this show and think it’s the most mesmerizing show of 2019. The star power with Jennifer and Resse together is unbelievable.

I watched all of Truth Be Told with Octavia Spencer and Aaron Paul. The few online reviews I found were negative but I thought it was great and very addictive. It’s been renewed for S2 as well.

George P likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s surprising to see mostly negative review from critics despite 3 Golden Glove nominations. I can see season 2 winning the Golden Globe for best drama series.

George P likes this.
  22. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I found the entire season uniformly strong and couldn’t for the life of me understand the vitriol direction at the show.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Three episodes in, this is great.

coffeetime likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, cant wait for S2.

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I assume Apple TV+ requires a subscription to watch this? Would love to see but pay too much for stuff already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.