The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I strongly recommend this Dial box if only for the Charlie Parker. Even if you have all the Spotlite editions or other Parker on Dial, this version has far better sound.

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Wish I had known beforehand. With the timing so close to prior orders, getting this in before October 2nd is a no-go for me. Oh well :shrug:

3. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Is that store a mostly vinyl joint?

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They will not charge your card until it ships. Which is probably months from now. Then you can call it a "New Year's Gift"

When it comes to limited editions, the motto is:

"Order now, worry later."

Mr. H and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

@dzhason as a recent purchaser of the Dial Modern box any words of wisdom?

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Words of wisdom:

"There has never been an unhappy possessor of a Mosaic Box Set"

markp, melstapler, RiRiIII and 2 others like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

8. Bobby Buckshot

I don't know man. I wonder about those folks that buy and never peel open the darn things. I tear into these babies like a kid at Xmas.

Clucking, melstapler and The Killer like this.
  9. J.A.W.

That's not entirely true, I met a few people who didn't always like what they got - musically, that is.

Tjazz likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That means they did not know what they were ordering. I suppose there are some who do that.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There are many who own nearly all, if not all, the recordings in a Mosaic box on vinyl, and then order the Mosaic box. They know the music, and often let that Mosaic box sit there and give off a glow.

Tjazz and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have a half-dozen or so Mosaic boxes (plus some CD singles). Every one of them has been a musical education, in addition to the entertainment they provide. They're all well-done.

melstapler, Mr. H and ggjjr like this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Very much so. Mosaic is exceptional when it comes to their product. Their only real rival when it comes to quality of research, notation, presentation, etc is Bear Family, in my opinion.

I do not enjoy when they put multiple takes right after one another, however. I much prefer them at the end of the discs, or on separate discs. That’s just nitpicking, though, and I’d rather have them then not.

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes, mostly.

Get yours now while supplies last.

PHILLYQ and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sorry for such a brief and facetious response before but I hadn't spent a terrible amount of time with the set at that time (and still haven't). Currently, I'm doing a little comparison between some of the tracks (Dewey Square, Relaxin' at Camarillo, Bongo Bop, Bird of Paradise) from the Spotlite Charlie Parker on Dial Complete Sessions box and the Mosaic Dial Modern Jazz Sessions box. (I’m doing my comparison on Apple Lossless files that I’ve ripped from the CDs, using my MacBook Pro headphone output and Audioquest Nighthawk headphones). On the Spoltlite box there is definitely more audible surface noise (ticks/crackle) from the transfers than on the Mosaic, but, to my surprise, I think I may actually prefer the sound on the Spotlite box for the tracks I've auditioned. On the Spotlite box, the drums, particularly the cymbals, seem to sound more natural and just, I don't know, more clear. I think there is almost an 'easiness' to the sound of the Spotlite box that isn't on the Mosaic. Perhaps, if you already have the Spotlite box of the Parker material and you're not at all interested in the tracks by the other artists or the Mosaic booklet, then it may make sense to just stick with the Spotlite box. Of course, I've only done a comparison of 4 tracks and some of their alternate takes so perhaps I'd find that on some tracks I prefer the Mosaic sound. If you don't have the Parker material already then I'd definitely go for the Mosaic in order to get it and the other stuff as well.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Nightswimmer and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Good stuff. And yeah, I couldn't resist so ordered today. I liked reading the history behind what was going on and how Bird wanted to slow the pace down vs the east coast versions. Looking forward to it now.

I've been awash in the Condon/Freeman set for a while now and am loving how immersive these boxes are. I'm anticipating the sort of thing for the Dial sides.

ggjjr likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

Ha, Condon/Freeman and Dial, two totally opposing worlds from the same era, the "moldy figs" versus the beboppers. Famous Condon sneer: "We don't flat our fifths, we drink them".

18. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Yes both set are stellar and represent a different idea as to how jazz should move forward in the 40s. Condon rooted in preservation looking backward, while the young Turks are evolving into something new. GREAT MUSIC! Jeff

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Gone gone or solid gone?

21. Bobby Buckshot

OOP, no longer listed for sale on their website.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Looks like the Jamal set is now OOP as well. Only 8 other sets remain.

Funny how the Condon/Freeman set is still there after many weeks (possibly months?) on the Last Chance list. It's a great set that I've been revisiting often since getting it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  23. J.A.W.

Never really got into Condon/Freeman's brand of jazz, though I tried many times. I still have quite a few early CD pressings of their Commodore stuff, but the music doesn't do it for me. That said, I think it's a good thing Mosaic collected the Commodores in this set.

24. Bobby Buckshot

Looks like Mosaic is having another open house event. Just received via email:

"For the second time in our 35-year history, we are having an open house on December 27 to 29 at our Stamford, Connecticut headquarters. We'll be offering:
    • Partial Sets
    • Test Pressings
    • Mosaic Booklets
    • Jazz Art & Prints
    • Out-of-print Jazz CDs, Books, LPs,78s,
    • books and more."
    DATES & HOURS:
    Thursday December 27 & Friday December 28 from 11 am to 6 pm Saturday December 29 from 11 am to 5 pm"

melstapler likes this.
  25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

If you happen to run across Woody Shaw’s The Complete Muse Sessions for a good price, I’ll happily buy it from you. ;)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.