The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

jdw likes this.
  2. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I'm happy to hear about more Mosaic sets. I was really afraid that they were circling around the drain. I don't mind prepaying for sets if that will keep them coming.

jlrchrds likes this.
  3. Riverside Dave

Riverside Dave Forum Resident

For those who don't receive the email newsletter: Woody Herman set ships next week; Hank Mobley set the week after (around 11/18). Something to be thankful for.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. So we will have it for the Christmas table here in Germany hopefully.

5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

YES! That's fantastic news indeed!

ggjjr and Jason W like this.
  6. Re The Woody Herman box

got this message from Mosaic:
    We’re looking to get these out this week and early next.
    best

Scott Wenzel
    Mosaic Records
    203-327-7111
    www.mosaicrecords.com

Riverside Dave likes this.
  7. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

He is indeed a bassist and a wonderful pianist and has recorded many sessions on vibes, a Canadian treasure!

yasujiro likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thompson's work with jazz singer Diana Panton is incredible, and she is a superb singer.

9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Anyone get the Woody or Hank sets yet?

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hank's have not shipped yet. . . but Herman has, several on the Organissimo board have received them. I need to call Mosaic as I pre-paid via PayPal for the Herman but have not received a shipping notice.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I’ve had problems twice with this method. I find using a CC doesn’t cause the same issues. It’s like they received the payment but not a notification of the order when I used PayPal. Of course they acknowledged it and promptly sent me my boxes both times.

12. Lonson

I had an issue once before as well, I was not directed back to the site, but in this case I made sure it went through and I have a PayPal transaction record. I left them a voice mail. . . no response yet.

Mr. H likes this.
  13. Thats what I got on my request some days ago.

Hi Willie

We’re looking to get these out this week and early next.

best

Scott Wenzel

Mosaic Records

203-327-7111

www.mosaicrecords.com

14. Lonson

I'm glad you got a response! I sent two emails last week and called and have had no response. . . . Ah well, soon.

By all reports so far this is a great set. Looking forward to it and the Mobley.

15. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Has this been announced anywhere yet?
    Michael Cuscuna: "a ‘60s [Lee] Morgan Mosaic set should follow next year!" [which would be 2020]
    Source: Mosaic Records Daily Jazz Gazette

16. Lonson

17. J.A.W.

Joe Henderson and Wayne Shorter 1960s Blue Note sets would be nice, but apparently Michael Cuscuna has already ruled out a Shorter set. I'm not that interested in a Lee Morgan 1960s BN set, there's too much formulaic stuff on his BN albums in my opinion.

18. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Morgan's 60s output is really strong once he kicked drugs, and a boxed set of that music could be a decent $ maker for them from which they could finance more projects. Hell, I like the formulaic stuff just enough to dip into that box. Good idea for them IMO.

markp, Lucca90 and fatwad666 like this.
  19. J.A.W.

I agree that a Morgan set could (and probably would) be commercially attractive, and I sure hope it will be.

markp, Bobby Buckshot and fatwad666 like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'd prefer Mosaic issues of rare recordings, rather than common stuff like Lee Morgan

21. My problem (probably posted earlier) is that over the complete collecting time of 50 years and more I have many of the vinyl Lps in the collection when a MOSAIC box I'm interested in with name artists appears. In most cases when it appears I will have at least 50% of the content as duplicates. Therefore I do hesitate for the recent Hank Mobley box. Trying to sell the used vinyls is not the solution. I do love also the original cover art. Spending cash on things I allready have is also not my preference. Thats the situation.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its really nice to see Mosaic thriving. It didnt look like that was going to be the case a few months back. Happy for them and the Mosaic fans on this thread!

markp and ggjjr like this.
  23. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

As someone new to collecting jazz, I would like to see them reissue some of their OOP sets that are massively expensive. Mildred Bailey would be a great start.

jay.dee likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

As is mentioned on their site, Mosaic will never reissue sets that have gone OOP.

Mosaic Records - Out-Of-Print Limited Edition Collections

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the later LP era, "two-fers" became the predominant reissue format (two different earlier LPs in one double LP, sometimes with a few bonus tracks). Typically, I had one of the LPs. The two-fers were usually only about a dollar, maybe two, more than a typical single LP. But even though there was little hope of finding that missing single LP, I still resisted, like you. Later, I realized that was wrong, and not even rational for a devoted fan and collector. Plus, the other earlier issues, if you could find them, were inferior sound or condition.

I had a similar feeling about Mosaic for years, but I got over that and now have an almost complete collection of their box sets and small sets.