The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wish they would get the licensing for ALL of Louis' remaining commercial issues: Kapp, Disney, and everything else from 1956 to the end

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

The B&W set has not been confirmed, and no date has been set for the Armstrong.

3. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Scott said they’re coming our way a week ago. Take that however you’d like but it’s from the source. Jeff

4. J.A.W.

I didn't say those sets wouldn't materialize, I said the B&W hadn't been confirmed yet and no date had been set for the Armstrong, that's all - that was the info I had some time ago. There have been announcements about upcoming sets before that didn't get released after all - like the Lucky Thompson, for instance; I was told that set was cancelled because of licensing issues.

5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Ricky Riccardi has a new Louis Armstrong book out in November. I wondered if the Louis set would be released to tie in with that (although they do cover differing era's, hes involved in them both)

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the year 2000, this was officially declared "The Louis Armstrong Millenium"

It is the first millenium that began under the aura and influence of Louis Armstrong.

We still have almost another thousand years to celebrate.

[​IMG]

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though I ordered it, I did not see that email. Was it buried in "Jazz Gazette"? What was the date of the email, if you can identify it.

I do not want to miss such future postings

8. J.A.W.

Er... it's "millennium" :) As someone who got a classical education I couldn't resist.

millennium | Origin and meaning of millennium by Online Etymology Dictionary

9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I posted moments after receiving the first email on 8 July. It was a special newsletter dedicated to the Mobley set. There was a second mention in a Jazz Gazette on 12 July.

Here is is photo of part of the first email (timezone CET):
    [​IMG]

10. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Does anybody know of any U.S. record stores that have mint condition out of print Mosaic vinyl box sets? I'm aware of what's on discogs, but a lot of those sellers are from other countries and shipping is prohibitively high right now. Some of the sets are also priced way too high (compared to the historical pricing data) on discogs so I'd much rather deal with the record stores directly. Any advice?

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

An artists that I think would benefit from a Mosaic style box would be Red Garland. His large catalog fallen into the disrepair of OOP and expensive or technically in-print but on CD-Rs.

12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Ive only ever seen a mosaic box in a store once

bmusic likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mosaic generally does not get Prestige label licences these days, but it would be nice.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Really? No good used shops that sell jazz in Chicago?

Even today, there are many offered in used shops, all over the country. Some of those also appear in the shopowner's discogs/eBay/Amazon pages. Some are only offered in the shop.

You can get almost any of them, though some are rare.

The newest Mobley title will likely be one of the rarest very soon.

15. Roland Stone

Tower carried the Nat King Cole box . . . only time I've seen a Mosaic box in brick-and-mortar retail.

I was hipped to Mosaic by reviews in CD REVIEW.

16. Roland Stone

Fantasy certainly did a lot of their own boxes! Odd they never got to Red Garland.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  17. Swordsandchains

I live in the suburbs so rarely do i make it into the city but now that everyone charges top top dollar at record stores, i dont even bother going to many anymore.

the Jazz Mart was a great shop but that close quite a few years ago

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I used to see Mosaic sets at Amoeba’s in Berkeley but I haven’t been to the store in two or three years so not sure anymore. Not even sure it is open these days but worth asking.

bmusic likes this.
  19. Swordsandchains

i faintly remember tower records as a kid, im only 29

20. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

I've been able to find all of the CD box sets -- there are just about 10 mint condition vinyl box sets that I haven't been able to find or the prices are, in my opinion, ridiculous ($999 on ebay, for instance)

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Actually, the "in-the-shop" prices of Mosaic at most used record shops are lower, often considerably lower, than the lowest price of any dealer on the internet.

Shop owners know that almost every customer has a smart phone and can check internet prices. They actually want to sell their merchandise. Plus, no exhorbitant shipping prices. And cash talks, often for added discounts.

If you are friendly, you may even get the "friendly-customer-price-discount"

bmusic and Swordsandchains like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You have 13 really good years left.

Enjoy 'em.

You peak at 42.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There should be a high concentration of Mosaic in California, up to Portland and Seattle (good record towns). Start looking. Start calling. The stores are out there, and they often answer the phone, even if the door is locked.

bmusic likes this.
  24. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

After hemming and hawing, I ordered this set from Mosaic just under the July 15th deadline. I am looking forward to it.

Sorcerer, Bobby Buckshot and Tribute like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mosaic may end up having a few extra copies, maybe not.

But, as there will be extremely few copies of the new Mobley set on the used market, this may become one of the rarest sets immediately...and it is the newest set.