The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I see that Amazon USA now lists it too.

Either the license issues were worked out (great), or Amazon is circumventing the license (which controls sales as well as well as production).

Amazon has certainly been known to go around licensing. They may do it through the cover of their European branches.

The damage was done at the time of release, when it could not get widespread distribution

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

Again, can we please go back to the actual topic of this thread, Mosaic? Like moderator @Jerry said upthread I think we've discussed Bear Family sufficiently here. Thanks.

kt66brooklyn and Jerry like this.
  3. J.A.W.

If that's also the case (the piercing horn sound) on Sony's remasters of the Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy and Satch Plays Fats albums - which I don't have and have only listened to on Spotify, which doesn't offer the best sound - I might reconsider my decision not to get the Mosaic, even though I really dislike The Real Ambassadors.

4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Again, I was reflecting more generally, rather than referencing specific releases. That said, I just compared some tracks on my Columbia CDs of Satch Plays Fats and WC Handy to the new set. The Columbias are ok, but the Mosaic sounds more natural, alive, and smooth on my system.

J.A.W. likes this.
  5. J.A.W.

Just had contact with Mosaic's Scott Wenzel about a few things, and he told me the Henderson set won't back in stock until some time in July; it could take another three weeks.

I also asked him if there was a chance they would release a Leroy Carr box, but, though he said he'd love it, that's probably not going to happen...
    :shake:

6. J.A.W.

Scott Wenzel told me they'll be setting up a warehouse to streamline order fulfillment and have a better way for international shipments to arrive as he put it. I also asked him about the disappearance of the "Running Low/Last Chance" page from their site and he said it'll be noted on the page of each available set when it's running low.

kt66brooklyn and Jason W like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

To me that is a step backward, as the original notice was more widely visible.

Now, these notices will not be as widely recognized, especially for those who do not frequent this particular thread.

Thanks to those who post such updates here.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I listened to all of the Herbie Nichols Mosaic BN set this week. For me my holy trinity of 50s pianists are Herbie Nichols, Monk and Bud Powell.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would certainly love to see a second Shorty Rogers box covering his complete RCA Victor Recordings.

Berthold, JuhNik and jlrchrds like this.
  10. Agreed as a big SR fan (nearly complete) but what shall I do with all my RCA's. The music stays the same.
    ;-]]

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Keep them for the cover art, of course.

Mosaic, if they do a Shorty Rogers RCA years box should be able to dig out some rarities or uncommon material.

JazzcornerND likes this.
  12. I have followed half a cencury Shorty Rogers after I got the Discography below. BTW a volume 2 was never issued.
    Your suggestion with the cover art is fine. But I have my doubts if there would be enough material for a Mosaic box with his music I dont have.
    Well you will never be complete because he worked too as arranger in various music fields and his participation as sideman is quite astobishing.
    Even his " Boots Brown" recordings are here with " Three Little Bops" and some more recorded under his other alias.

[​IMG]

juanmanuel likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though once issued on CD, even most of the Rogers on RCA is out-of-print

14. Correct!

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does Scott at Mosaic read these posts?

16. Hopefully !

juanmanuel likes this.
  17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Maybe the Organissimo ones. Not sure about here as unless you watch a thread it’s hard to find.

18. Havent seen Scott there!

19. J.A.W.

As far as I know Scott doesn't post on message boards like this one or Organissimo, but I think he does read posts on Organissimo - at least occasionally; I don't know about this board.

Bradd likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Completely agree. The search system on SHF seems to be poor.

kt66brooklyn likes this.

21. Slightly disagree!
    Depends on how and in what thread what you do search.
    I found out the search function here works sufficiently good.
    All depends on how much data the postings have along.
    good luck for the next attempt.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If it is a search for an artist that is cited in many thread titles, there is very limited ability to sort the results, such as active vs. inactive threads, most recent activity, most replies, and other variables.

ciderglider likes this.
  23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have been far more successful using google with"steve hoffman and then the topic". For example "steve hoffman best sounding so and so CD". As great as this forum is, the search engine is not.

Nightswimmer, Bradd and Tribute like this.
  24. opinions! opinions!
    Havent seen a perfect search engine among various forums (Discogs, Ornanissimo, Both sides now,) SHF is quite ok. What is the main topic here?

hbbfam likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

:righton: