The most boring concert you've ever been to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

It was the artist...... On the same day Sting was great, Peter Gabriel was brilliant..... Bruce, well what can I say.

2. edmund_k

edmund_k occasionally worth reading

Tangerine Dream in the mid 70's
    One of the first 'real' concerts I attended.
    I actually fell asleep!!!

3. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Didn’t have high hopes, but saw Keane supporting The Cure in 2004. Fell asleep.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

To give us something to discuss 30 years later... :)

RangerXT and Neonbeam like this.
  5. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Red Hot Chili Peppers Sunrise, Fl Jan 2007. Musically fantastic, but Anthony Keidis was just going through the motions. He had zero interaction with the audience. Any time a guitar solo appeared, Anthony disappeared.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  6. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

ca. 1975. Winterland Arena San Francisco Ca

Livingston Taylor, Dalton & Deberry, Dave Mason

At the time and in that venue, I could only describe the atmosphere and vibe as "San Francisco, Wild".

Dalton & Deberry were a red hot R&B group who could absolutely work the audience in any direction.
    The perfect band to immediately precede the headliners.

One problem, though. Prior to D&D taking the stage, Livingston Taylor, in short order, managed to put
    about 5,000 concert goers into deep REM (not the band) sleep.

To knock out a full house crowd at Winterland in 1975 was no mean feat. I mean ASLEEP.

D&D managed to thaw the iceberg and went on to play a fabulous show, setting up Dave Mason & the
    Dave Mason Band a for a perfect "Burn Down the Trailer Park and Take no Prisoners" performance.

11 alacrious encores vindicated the Winterland crowd and two of the musical acts, after we had all suffered that
    bout with contact narcolepsy.

To me, senior sibling James Taylor is seriously boring and I suspect that if the Brothers Taylor had toured
    together the audience might have remained catatonic for the remainder of any concert they had "opened".

All in all, thzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TonyG likes this.
  7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I Don’t Believe You !!!

:winkgrin: :laugh: :winkgrin:

8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... seems like a concert I'd enjoy.

9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Simple Minds in the late 80's.

RevolutionDoctor likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I saw LT open for someone once in the 70's and he seemed to be doing some sort of performance art show where he was pretending to be an escaped mental patient. He said things that made no sense and smiled/frowned for no apparent reason.
    Eventually, people stopped applauding politely and people in front started getting hostile. And of course, their yelling just inspired more things from the stage that made no sense. I guess if he wasn't behaving like a lobotomized goof the audience would have fallen asleep for sure.

11. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

My only walk-outs have been Steve Earle and the Dukes and Bob Weir/Rob Wasserman.

Worst jazz show was Muhal Richard Abrams solo at the Montreal International Jazz Festival. He noodled for 45 minutes and the only action came when he reached over to flip the cassette recording the show. When he finished maybe five people clapped very weakly for about 10 seconds. As soon as he walked off, my friends and I ran (not slowly!) a couple of blocks to catch the Max Roach Quartet....and who is already sitting directly in the seat behind me but freakin' Muhal....

Second worst jazz show was Old and New Dreams - awesome group and great albums, but Don Cherry was the only good thing about the show.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Instant Dharma likes this.
  12. Hell on Reels

I don't think that anecdotal fairy tale ever occurred. Neil Diamond, like him or not, is a superstar writer and quite at home on a live stage.

The song he performed was gritty, performed with real emotion, and very much in fitting with the scene, the epic swan song & finale of a group
    poised at the very moment of cashiering itself.

So who did anyone there, bristling upon a high horse, think he/she was, to criticize, disparage or even genuflect over fellow artists? It just doesn't fit.

More along the lines of some Rolling Stone magazine ******** hype, something to throw at the readership in the next issue, assuming
    it might actually mean something to someone. If anyone could give a rat's about it

I'm not a huge, huge fan of Neil Diamond... but the dude has paid his dues, has more gold records on his office walls than most
    folks have had the time to take a slack-jawed gawk at, and a Canon precious few would be ashamed of.

Did I mention a few bucks in earnings as well ?

He deserved and to this day deserves respect.

What would it speak of a person who would talk Junior High trash to an Icon? Envy, jealousy, ego, whatever? It just doesn't fit.

Apologies for the Rant & Rave. Or I could tell you how I really feel about it ! 8~>

thxphotog and 905 like this.
  13. Hell on Reels

LOL-ROTFL! Well said.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a shame.

They are one of the few bands whose fiery energy comes through on their live recordings but as you say playing to an empty room can't hugely gratifying.

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Well, I saw them on the same night.

16. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Earle is playing here soon. Is that a non-recommendation?

17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

And in 1996...
    Still the best show I ever attended.
    I'm not fond of the sound of the 2000 tour. But it was great considering some of what was to be...

Spaceboy likes this.
  18. kwhisperer

Not really. I've enjoyed Earle when I saw him with Del McCoury, but the Dukes show just didn't work for me - felt like Crazy Horse wannabes. Might have just been my mood or my preference for his non-Dukes material.

Assuming it's the Copperhead Road tour with the Dukes, I'd say if you really like it....go.

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I wasn't present at the event as I was 1: a small child and 2: 8000 kilometres away, so you could well be right.:)

20. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

John Martyn at the Wycombe Swan UK. Shame as he played the prior year same venue and was awesome though none bettered the cellar bar at Bracknell South Hill park Arts centre beforehand for the Grace and Danger tour

21. kwhisperer

Bill Graham told the story in his autobiography and, of course, he was there and knew the principles involved. Even with that, though, I always figured it was apocryphal.

Edit: With a little Internet sleuthing, I came up with Neil Diamond's version of events - NEIL DIAMOND, BOB DYLAN & THE LAST WALTZ

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Fullbug likes this.
  22. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

Real Estate 9:30 Club. Only went because my brother got tickets. He bailed. I went and marveled at how much everyone else was enjoying this band...

23. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Mine was probably the Steve Miller Band in 1999. They faithfully played every one of their hits exactly as they appear on record, only more sluggish and lethargic (and most of their stuff is already pretty mellow). A total snooze.

24. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

IN that article, Ronnie Wood said it was true too and he was there hanging with Dylan.

25. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

Ouch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.