The most boring concert you've ever been to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Who did he open for at that show?

2. Lilmoxie

Lilmoxie Forum Resident

Two.
    Yes- 90125 tour. Giant boring white stage and Jon Anderson strutting around in an all boring white outfit with even more boring tunes.
    Steely Dan- Pine Knob 2000. Watching two guys who clearly dislike each other try and play together just didn't fool me. Free 3rd row tickets couldn't rescue this show. Maybe if I were further away?

No Bull and thxphotog like this.
  3. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

He was the main bill. I forget who might have opened for him.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That can't be right - no way in hell Elvis Costello was ever the headliner at a massive football stadium!

He played Great Woods in nearby Mansfield in the 90s, not the stadium now known as Gillette...

wayneklein and Fullbug like this.
  5. Last I heard and saw Becker and Fagan didn’t dislike each other at all. Otherwise, why would Fagabask him to produce his solo album?

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. Lilmoxie

Lilmoxie Forum Resident

Not sure. Perhaps it was something happening at that point in time. There was zero communication between them. They wouldn't even look at each other. I left at the intermission. It sucked.

No Bull likes this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah thats a new one to me as well.

8. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

That's probably the place, not Foxboro. I was visiting MA at the time, and for some reason I thought we went to the Patriots' stadium. One of my friends would probably confirm Great Woods. If it was a better performance, I might have a clearer memory of the venue. My only other strong memory of the event was all the goose droppings on the lawn (which is kind of like the lawn at PNC Arts Center for any given concert).

9. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I was on the fence and inclined not to go in part due to your post. I didn't really know much about him and he was just barely the right side of country. But I found out some people I knew were going so I ended up going. It turn out to be pretty good. (and not boring)
    Edit - He did Copperhead Road which for me was the best part of the show.

10. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

Another really dull show I saw - and from one of my all-time favorites - was George Harrison in 1974. His voice was shredded and he had pretty much zero charisma -
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it and that I didn't deter you from seeing a good show!

11. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

The entire concert was not boring, more on that in a second, but I've never been more bored than I was watching Snow Patrol headline a show back in April of 2007 - and I went into it as a fan of them.

Silversun Pickups opened and they were just excellent. I went in liking them, but came out a huge fan. It was energetic and exciting, the band was clearly stepping up to take advantage of the slot. But then came on Snow Patrol. The only time I can remember nearly falling asleep standing on my feet, more than once. It wasn't that they performed particularly bad, but they clearly tailored their setlist around the success of "Chasing Cars". It was just one same tempo ballad after ballad after ballad, one of the worst pacing decisions I've ever seen a band make. They may have stepped it up for the end, but we cut out early it was so boring.

12. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The Rolling Stones - Roundhay Park - Leeds

13. GK

GK Forum Resident

Bon Jovi on the New Jersey Tour in Niagara Falls. Friends urged me to go. I fell asleep during Bon Jovi's boring set. It was all big hair and tight leather pants and man-scarves. It was worse than eating overcooked mushy asparagus at Easter dinner. Skid Row opened and were kind of fun.

Elton John and Billy Joel in the toilet bowl shaped Three Rivers Stadium..Pittsburgh.. 93 or 94. Dreadfully dull concert. I only went because my college roommate's parents liked me because I wrote them a thank you note for having me over for Easter dinner featuring overcooked mushy asparagus when I had nowhere to go ("wow! that long haired weirdo isn't so bad" I can hear them saying) and they bought the tickets so I could be my roommate's sister's date and during Piano Man when we were all swaying to and fro holding hands and arms draped over one another's shoulders I remember wishing that someone would flush the contents of this toilet bowl shaped stadium away.

No Bull, Canadacrowe, Murph and 2 others like this.
  14. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I saw beebop deluxe in 1976. They played all of their new album. Don’t think it was even released at the time.

15. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

And this would be boring how?

Mechanical Man and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

CPR...the David Crosby led-band, Warner Theater, Erie,PA...2004...during the record blizzard for snowfall in Erie for a 24-hour period. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    Croz was also very cocky about playing CPR tunes...which was odd, since they seem to have been created to sleep to.

Atmospheric likes this.
  17. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I remember that show. They started communicating and looking at each other right after intermission.

:winkgrin:

Fullbug likes this.
  18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Saw a show in Springfield Mass back in the days of Bobby and the Midnites first album-they opened for Hot Tuna. Midnights put on a great opener. Tuna was abysmal. When Jorma declared “This song is about a rocket launcher” or something me and my buddy got the heck out.

Fullbug likes this.
  19. Batfish

Batfish Forum Resident

Steve Miller Band at Nassau Coliseum in the summer of 1977, around the time of the 'Fly Like An Eagle'/'Book of Dreams' albums.

No Bull likes this.
  20. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Marshall Tucker Band around 1978

21. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

It was actually not at all boring, just very . . . serene . . . but after a long day of work and a whole lot of driving, I fell asleep at a Laurie Anderson show once.

Probably the most genuinely tedious was Peter Frampton in 1977ish? But he had to follow UFO, which could make anyone seem unexciting.

22. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Chocolate Watchband last Saturday night in Portland. Local opening band The Reverberations killed though.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The Who "On Ice" 1989......

Mechanical Man likes this.
  24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I fell asleep to George Thorogood at Perkins Palace in Pasadena back in the day. I'd just finished finals so I should be excused for my sleepiness!!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  25. What kind of a lineup did they have - the original drummer and a bunch of pickup musicians?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.