The most improved remasterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

Let's have a look at cds or lps where the sound is transformed from what went before by the new remastering.

We all know that Steve Hoffman's remasterings are excellent (probably won't have much argument here). The dozen I own are all significant improvements over other versions I've owned. Macca's first, for example, is much improved and the cymbal sound is among the best I've heard on cd. BUT, my original British lp was pretty good so there are no revelations to be had.

The Simon and Garfunkel remixes are a big step forward over all previous cds (though early lp pressings were pretty good). Have to admit I like Hey Bulldog and All You Need is Love in the YSS stereo remix.

Has anyone heard staggering sonic improvments from a new remaster/remix???

Thanks folks......

2. MiniDenny

MiniDenny Banned

not lately though but I gotta say the Anthology by the Beatles

3. John B

Hang On Sloopy

I've heard there is a new remaster of Hang On Sloopy which leaves the original in the dust. Has anyone heard it?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Kudos for John B spelling "Garfunkel" correctly!:D

The most recent one I can think of is the Madonna CDs.

5. jason r. baur

jason r. baur Banned

BB King Live at the Regal (MoFi)
    The Clash remasters
    Led Zeppelin remasters
    Cyndi Lauper She's So Unusual
    Santana (George Marino remasters)
    Go-Go's VH1 Collection
    Rolling Stones remasters (Virgin)

Lots more, can't think of them now.

6. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

America the Complete Greatest Hits, mastered by Bill Inglot really opens up the sound compared to the old Greatest Hits.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The first version of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" I ever owned was the initial Motown twofer CD which also included "Let's Get it On". Either of the two subsequent remasters of WGO are a quantum improvement. The original CD release was a crime against musical humanity. :)

Regards,

8. John B

America the Beautiful

Thanks for your reply Tangent.
    Also, thanks for the info from another site fellow Torontonian. I had actually wondered about that America cd. Time to get it.

9. jason r. baur

jason r. baur Banned

Yes, as I've said before, the Gavin Lurssen remaster is excellent (I understand the 94 slipboxed edition and 98 remaster are the same), and if I've read these pages correctly, so is the Kevin Reeves deluxe double.

10. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Re: America the Beautiful

Your welcome John,

By the way the first cut, A Horse With No Name, sounds OK but from track two (Sandman) on the sound is excellent.:)

11. John B

Two Rhino discs I have been impressed by are:
    Johnny Rivers Anthology
    Beau Brummels
    They're early cds but the sound quality was a huge improvement over previous stuff. I'm sure remixing had a lot to do with it.

12. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Just listened to the Rivers Anthology the other week and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality.

13. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

The current series of King Crimson CDs are fabulous. Listen to "LARKS' TONGUEs IN ASPEC" and you'll be amazed.

14. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

The Warners Rod Stewart remasters of 2000, particularly his first two albums.

15. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Not sure which Santana George Marino remastered. THe most recent remasters are by Vic Anesini and Kevin Boutote and they are excellent.

16. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

My vote for the best current would be the Classic LP's of the Zepplin catalogue, also their S&G Bridge over Troubled Waters
    On CD, they best I have heard have been DCC Bob Dylan Highway 61..
    MoFi Santana Abraxas
    I could have a long list of the DCC and MoFi, they both have many excellent remasters, with the percent of better over all going to DCC, but MoFi has done so many more that they have more over all good ones. Just shear numbers and length of operation on the numbers.

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

"Islands" by King Crimson.
    At last count this is the fourth go at a good CD version. There was the original version on Polydor/EG that I never heard, 2 Definitive Editions versions and the 30th Anniversary Edition. The original vinyl version on Island UK was a wonderful recording. After Polydor took over the E.G. catalogue, everything turned to poo. The tape used for the Polydor versions was full of odd grumbling noises, for want of a better term. I don't know about the Atlantic US versions - someone may be able to enlighten us.
    The Definitive Edition (DE)versions used the same tape as the Polydor vinyl, and are to be avoided at all costs. The first DE version used so much NoNoise to remove these noises, that the result reduced the sound from near refence quality to a badly aligned early 60's casette tape. The second version used the same tapes, but deleted the NoNoise to reveal the tape grumbles in all their glory. The 30th Anniversary version uncovered the original Command studios master tape, which had no extraneous tape noises, and sounds very good.
    Incidentally, the stereo master of side 1 of In the Court of the Crimson King was found recently, so we may hear a better version of that album at some stage.

18. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

The James Gang remasters of a couple years ago are a revelation. No doubt Szymczyk did some EQ-ing, but the end results are well worth it, IMO.

19. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Where'd you find all this information? This truly is good news to me.

20. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Steve's DCC HW61 stereo CD and Sundazed's mono vinyl disk, and Sony Music's Blond on Blond SACD.

Steve's DCC Buddy Holly from the master tapes collection.

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Regarding ITCOTCK, I think it was in RF's diary before DGM's website was truncated so seriously. They were unearthing the USA and Earthbound master tapes and found it.
    Regarding Islands, most of this is from what my ears tell me....... (can I hear the melody of "I talk to the trees, that's why they certified me"?);)

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Holly Original Master Tapes CD is on MCA.

23. tonytonitone

tonytonitone BannedBandBynd

Some great remasters I've heard:

The Byrds Greatest Hits
    Elvis Costello (several Rykos--haven't heard the Rhinos)
    Tina Turner: Private Dancer
    English Beat: Just Can't Stop It and Special Beat Service
    Gene Vincent: The Living End (Razor & Tie)
    Billy Joel Greatest Hits I & II
    Ramones (Rhino)
    Atlantic soul (Aretha, Otis, Sam & Dave) on Rhino
    John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with E.C. (U.K.)
    Graham Parker: Squeezing Out Sparks & Live Sparks
    Hitsville U.S.A.

Hope you all agree!

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I don't have a lot of Santana on CD, but George Marino did the mastering on the Columbia/Legacy Best of Santana from 1998. The (very) high end sounds goosed to me, but it is in other ways an improvement from previous CDs I have heard of the same material. I have not heard any of the most recent ones besides this one, though.

Regards,

25. tonytonitone

tonytonitone BannedBandBynd

Ken, I too have the Best of Santana and I agree. The bass on the early tracks is tremendous!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.