The Move appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Nastey, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not for long, if you put them in the same room.

3. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

It is a passage from Bev Bevan's autobiography, THE ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHERSTA STORY. I still have the book somewhere. It lists all the Move releases: LPs, EP and singles at the back. Very uselessful. Put out in 1982 I think. But I think it was someone else. Read other post.......

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. john morris

Yea, I got the same book. Must have gotten that mixed up. Thanks.

NJ Englishman likes this.
  5. john morris

Yes, but it was the hits that made them famous. And playing 50 % covers doesn't help either. It doesn't matter if they haven't heard them. The tour sells the albums. They hear a few songs and go out and buy the singles and or albums. Tbis is how the business used to work. They could not do that here why? No Move albums were released North America at that time.

I loved The Move too but if they go out and do something stupid, sorry but I am gonna point it out. Mostly covers and no Move album releases in North America equals = stupid.

6. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Still, it's not like they are totally obscure, not by a long chalk. Roy is famous enough to get recognised wherever but not so that he can't go out and do anything he wants to.

Oh, and I don't think there's any 'hate' between any of them. Yeah, Roy and/or Jeff have stopped Bev doing some things, but what's resolved seemed to resolve things and they cool.

Of course, I'm not them so who knows, but.

john morris likes this.
  7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Just listened to one of my RZ copies of Shazam. What an album. I played Abbey Road just before it and they both communicate so much of the zeitgeist of the time. Plus, they kind of fit together -- both very melodic and kind of hard at the same time.

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Mostly because of his role in Men in Black 3.
    [​IMG]

9. john morris

I have BOULDERS somewhere on vinyl. Pretty good.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  10. john morris

I have always felt that LOOKING ON was the weakest Move album. Too self indulgent. They sound like a drunk early ELO. "Feel To Good" is an o.k. song but the ending is stupid.

Just my opinion. I would still take a mediocre Move album over the best music of today.

bvb1123 and EdogawaRampo like this.
  11. EdogawaRampo

Not only a great vocal line up, but wow that fashion line up has groovy threads written all over it.

tages, john morris and Comet01 like this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

I pretty much agree, except for 3 tunes that are pretty essential IMO, or, if not essential, the only ones I consistently listen to:

Turkish Tram Conductor Blues
    When Alice Comes Back To The Farm
    Brontosaurus

13. john morris

To the kids of today THE MOVE might as well be THE GOSPEL OF JUDAS ISCARIOT. A new translation is now available. Or perhaps I should have said THE APOCALYPSE OF PETER. Really popular in the early 4th century. To bad it didn't make it into THE NEW TESTAMENT.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

As great as some of us around here (like me) think The Move was, I suppose like anything it's an acquired taste. I brought my copy of Split Ends to a party in around 1977 or 1978 and got to discussing Do Ya with a guy a few years younger than me that called it "pretty good but it's too slow" and so he preferred the ELO hit version. I like(d) the ELO version too, but the original has all the hard mojo for me, slower pace or not.

Clearly the assembly gathered at Nicaea had already voted those items out, they didn't serve institutional needs of the empire and The Move were deemed non-canonical. Their loss. There was a reason the scattered assemblies in the frontiers had all those mysterious books circulating among them for all those 300 and some odd years and why Move records were already sought-after collectors items less than five years after they disbanded. As far as I know, only Cheap Trick and Todd Rundgren remained faithful, even if their faith was Laodicean and lukewarm. There could have been some more covers, but like Collosae they were wealthy and dissolute, and thus forsook the first fruits of their inspiration.

Fast forward to 2321. A house is unearthed and in the ruin lies a skeleton in a burial cloth. Tools, preserved objects, devices are found. Metallic boxes lay next to the skeleton, neath many folds of protective cloth. They are unwrapped and opened. They contain a mystery. Elders are depicted. We know not who they were nor of their testimony, just that the objects must have been treasured and symbolized something of great value to the departed. A great faith, long past.

[​IMG]

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Even The Clash gave them a shout out in "Clash City Rockers" even if its less audible than the one for Prince Far I

16. john morris

Copyright infringement notice. Only I am allowed to make posts in this style.

Seriously, great post!

17. john morris

That first Move album along with the first 3 singles is just as good as The Beatle Rubber Soul. I challenge any band today or producer/song writer to come up with tunes like: Here We Round The Lemon Tree, Night Of Fear, Walk Upon The Water, Fire Brigade or I Can Hear The Grass Grow. No keyboards here. Maybe the odd piano.

bvb1123 likes this.
  18. john morris

SHAZAM is a great album but that solo in FIELDS OF PEOPLE is way too long and boring. Maybe make it a 30 seconds solo then the band starts to play and then fade out.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  19. john morris

It isn't that bad is it?

20. john morris

Wait, wasn't the alien that broke out of the moon prison in MIB 2 ROY WOOD. Looked like him. Same glasses. Same coolness. I swear the guy loked like Roy Wood (circa 1973)

21. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

A band I really, really should LOVE, but they always flew under my radar for some strange reason.

One of these days I'll get around to listening to one of their records that I KNOW I've bought over all these years. LOL

john morris likes this.
  22. EdogawaRampo

Can't argue with that.

john morris likes this.
  23. john morris

The Move gets no airplay on any FM station I have heard. Why?

Saint Johnny likes this.
  24. EdogawaRampo

Seems like I heard Flowers In The Rain once. I could be wrong. It is strange though. It seems like there are lots of bands that were less successful that are far better known and get at least some sporadic airplay.

I think it's all down to no promotion or hits in the US.

john morris likes this.
  25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Yes, the photo is gone now, but the MIB3 villain definitely had a Roy Wood vibe to him. Trying again...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]