The Move

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phillyal1, Jul 6, 2019.

1. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Love The Move, Wizzard, Roy Wood's solo stuff and ELO. Shazam! itself is a favorite LP of mine. However, they only had 4 albums, a slew of great non-album singles and never broke into the US. They should feel lucky they either went onto bigger things (Jeff), have a perennial royalty check (Roy) and had a #1 single, 5 top 5, and 7 top 10 hits. The Pretty Things would be salivating at that. Instead all they have is bragging rights for influencing pretty much everyone. But I digress:

Fantastic.

2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Magnetic Waves of Sound is indispensable because of that DVD, but you should also look for The Lost Broadcasts which has some great stuff from the Message from the Country period that the other DVD neglects. "The Words of Aaron" is a favorite of mine off that DVD:

3. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great -- Rick Price on bass ?, who is the other piano player ?

4. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

The Move may well be the most underrated English band from their era ( The Pretty Things too). Roy Wood doesn't nearly get enough credit. His solo stuff is awesome as well. Roy is not only creative but colorful as hell.

5. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

As I'd been listening to The Move for years before CT even existed, and also saw them (CT) multiple times in a bar before their first LP, I'm curious as to 'what linked them for you.' I've never thought of The Move as an influence on them at all - not that I'm claiming that they weren't.

6. They would name drop the Move a lot in various interviews, I started checking them out. Good stuff!

7. ILovethebassclarinet

Reminds me of buying the first 4 VU LPs as cut-outs in the late 1960s-early 1970s, I believe that I spent a total of less than $5 to buy all 4, with the 1st one being the most expensive, around $1.88 or so IIRC. Loaded was 38 cents at a K-Mart, and I bought maybe a dozen copies to give away to folks I knew that I thought might like it... Blue Cheer's Oh, Pleasant Hope was another that was in the stores at the time that I did the same with.

8. ILovethebassclarinet

C. 1975, they were a popular bar band, and did week-long stands here in town at a place called The Brewery; one cover I remember is the VU's I'm Waiting for the Man.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  9. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

This is my experience with the Move and Roy Wood albums in the early '80s. Back then you could find this stuff very cheap and in good condition. I bought multiple copies of On The Road Again for less than a dollar a piece and gave them to friends as gifts.

I once chanced upon Looking On in a used book/record store. It had no price tag. When I asked the clerk about it, he said "Oh, we don't know what that is -- you can just have it for a buck." OK -- thanks!

10. Yep, usually with Tom singing lead, a recording of it from the Brewery is on the CT box set, you might want to check it out, you might be able to hear yourself on the recording!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

When I last looked, there was bad blood between Wood and Bevan but I’m not sure whether that is still the case or not. Wood and Lynne are still friends, I believe.

12. ILovethebassclarinet

Now that I didn't know, that is, that they had recorded at The Brewery OR that those recordings had been released.
    I also saw the 3 piece versions of Big Star and Blue Ash there around the same time, and it's my (perhaps erroneous, it was a long time ago) recollection that both of them also did versions of "I'm Waiting For My Man."

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  13. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

That's Richard Tandy on bass guitar for that awesome performance of The Words Of Aaron.. I don't know who the other fellow playing piano is, but he is 'playing' a bassoon for Ella James during an Old Grey Whistle Test appearance in 1971.

14. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

The did cover this song:

15. ILovethebassclarinet

I'd forgotten about California Man.
    I actually owned the first CT LP back in the late '70s, but found it disappointing compared to the band I'd seen live; didn't dislike them/it, mind you, just thought that it could have been even better.
    Saw them at a big festival here c. late 1980s, (post-"Woke Up With A Monster" era) and I much preferred the 1975 version. Heard Budokan lots at parties, etc., but never owned it that I can recall.

Shazam was the 1st Move LP I owned, bought it used for a buck within a year or so after it was released, still have it.

OneStepBeyond and DME1061 like this.
  16. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Cheap Trick were one of the reasons I got into them as well. I also remember Paul Stanley from Kiss mentioning them in interviews as a favorite band of his. The first album I picked up by them (in the cutout section of a long forgotten department store :laugh:) was this one:

[​IMG]

17. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

There is this...

[​IMG]
    Move* - In Europe ’66 – ‘67

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vinyl LP - no CD as far as I'm aware.

...which I found on Amazon.co.uk the other day - £7.49 so I bought a copy as you would!

It's live recordings and the SQ IS variable - you can guess what that means although if you have bass/treble controls then that should help as I find it does for me - but rare tracks (or mostly because it has the Beat, Beat, Beat tracks concluding side one) certainly. Seems it was a 2018 RSD release that escaped my notice. I've heard worse boots and it has a couple of covers that are not officially released elsewhere. Not sure how this was licensed (?) as the label states 1960s Records but it's a nice clean pressing and the disc/label, sleeve and inner are of very nice quality. I'm happy to have it. VERY happy. :cool:

18. ILovethebassclarinet

Actually bought that LP direct a couple of weeks back, but I'm only about half-way through the order to date, and haven't gotten to that yet, so have yet to hear it. The record company had a sale on recently, maybe still: rhythmandbluesrecords.

19. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I've thought that but maybe they wanted to seem less predictable and more 'progressive.' It has been reported that Tony Blackburn who played it, later said it was awful but I can't find any evidence of that. As mentioned many times they got no royalties from it because of the 'postcard stunt'. :D A classic but probably doesn't bring back the best of memories for them!

20. THE801

THE801 Forum Resident

The mystery pianist/bassoonist is Bill Hunt. Sometime Move,ELO and Wizzard musician.

21. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

I love The Move since I was a teenager. I don't usually like to make these kinds of generalizations, mainly because you never know what kind of stuff you will encounter tomorrow, but I'll go ahead and make an exception: Roy Wood has simply got to be the most underrated rock hero of all time. Period. Ever experimental and always willing to try something new; Wizzard and his solo stuff are marvellous too.

22. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

This B-side to "Wild Tiger Woman" is one of my favourite Move tracks ever.

Ring my bells and go away...

23. ILovethebassclarinet

Now that I associate with 1974's A&M release The Best of the Move - but I'm in the U.S.

Dandelion1967 likes this.
  24. I'm not sure if Queen mentioned them as an influence, but I hear a very strong Move influence on the first three Queen albums

25. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

You are right I do have that as well.

It would have been great if The Move had been covered by the team that did the British Invasion DVDs. I guess the move did not really invade though