The Musical Box Genesis covers band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nitrous, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have just booked a couple of tickets to see them. I have never seen the original Genesis play.
    Anybody seen them. Are they any good?

polchik and Kristofa like this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Squint a bit and you'll swear it's the real thing! They are excellent.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've read mixed reviews of the current tour or when TMB do post Gabriel shows. But the one time I saw them do the Selling England show, it was magical.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I only recently heard of them ... but i was sent a dvd of one of their concerts... if i remember I'll let you know when I've seen it:righton:

5. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Saw them last year and they're AMAZING. Note-for-note perfect. :righton:

Rooster_Ties, altaeria and anduandi like this.
  6. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

They are a real treat. Highly recommended !

polchik, Rooster_Ties and altaeria like this.
  7. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I enjoyed every moment of their show. I wish they would come back.

Rooster_Ties and altaeria like this.
  8. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

They are utterly brilliant. Like time travel. What show are they playing? I've seen the SEBTP and The Lamb shows, both many years ago now.

Rooster_Ties and altaeria like this.
  9. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Yes, they are great.... and (if I recall correctly) given the official blessing of Tony Banks.

polchik and Rooster_Ties like this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

They were supposed to be bringing their Selling England show to Australia last year, but when i tried to buy tickets the tour had been cancelled. I can only assume that the idiotic Australian public did not purchase enough tickets to justify their appearance.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  11. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I’ve seen them twice performing the Selling England set and once doing The Lamb. They were truly excellent. I heartily recommend.

audiotom and altaeria like this.
  12. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

What about the other tribute band, Rael? From what I've seen on YouTube, MB sounds like the better band. Just asking because Rael is doing a show near me next month.

13. Indeed. The squinting helps seeing as, at least when I last saw them on their Selling England... tour, "Steve Hackett" was looking kinda pudgy. So much for authenticity. :)

Wally Swift likes this.
  14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Being very familiar with Genesis boots I was amused how MB lifted certain between song tinkerings and incorporated them. Very detail oriented.

15. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

I think I've seen them five times, they are utterly fantastic in both sound and look.

The last time in 2018 was my least favourite, I prefer the reproduction of a full set list, Foxtrot tour, SEBTP Tour, Lamb Tour etc. They did the 1976 show complete with Bruford and separate drumming and singing Phils, in 2009-10, which was also superb.

This last show had some instrumental mashups and part of the Lamb, just songs from sides 1 and 2 - it was ok but I'd like them to go back to their earlier presentations rather than extracts. That said, the performance of Looking for Someone was really cool!

LivingForever likes this.
  16. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

17. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Saw them twice, the first time they had an amazing Phil Collins clone who was also left handed. They where great. Saw them on their 'Seconds Out" tour and they where abysmal. If that drummer had stayed in the band I'm sure it would have been great?

ries likes this.
  18. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Saw "Selling England" (I think) at the Albert Hall. Just checked how long ago ... err, probably 17 years ago (that's scary). They were incredible.

Giant Hogweed likes this.
  19. ries

ries Forum Resident

yeah the first drummer was *great*, it was basicly Phil Collins, even how he sat behind the drums, it was uncanny. Also his voice matches. I saw them 4 times, first 3 times with him as drummer wich was AWESOME. Played The Lamb live show, saw them also play in the Royal Albert Hall wich was pretty amazing. After that I saw the Black Show (Selling England tour) wich was also great. Then the drummer left, and they got an okay replacement, but frankly it wasnt the same anymore. Saw them doing the Seconds Out tour, and it was okay, but that spark was gone.

That said Id say its a very good replication of how a show with the actual band sounded and looked like in the 70's. I believe the real Phil Collins saw them play and said they were actually better ;)

oh yeah the drummer name is Martin Levac, he's still active doing Genesis/Phil Collins cover things, and if you can, try catch him live, its pretty amazing

He also did a recreation of the 1982 Three Sides Live tour

LivingForever and Hep Alien like this.
  20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Phil Collins once sat in with TMB.

I'd love to see TMB tackle the 1978 tour but I don't see how they could replicate those mirrors and squeeze them into some of the halls they perform in.

Bill Mac, Wally Swift and altaeria like this.
  21. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I think TMB sticks to Peter Gabriel era, so you’d probably have to look into shows involving Martin Levac as mentioned above.

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Seeing them tonight, by coincidence. A guy at work, whose wife couldn't go, just offered me the other ticket.

23. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

Here is argentinian tribute band GENETICS with Steve Hackett:

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let me know what it’s like. The show I have booked is also the extravaganza show. Sounds like it should be a pretty good night judging by most people’s comments.

25. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I saw them once in Portland. They were everything I wanted and more.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.