The Musical Box Genesis covers band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nitrous, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I saw them in Bristol in 2002 (Gabriel was in the audience), at the Albert Hall in London in 2002 (Rutherford in the audience and Hackett came on to encore Firth of Fifth with them - even though they'd already played it) and at the Albert Hall in 2005 doing The Lamb.
    Amazing band - might be going to see them next January on their Extravaganza tour

2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Saw TMB last night in Calgary. I'm only a casual Genesis fan, but from what I'd read, these were the guys to see. Musically, holy crap these guys are good. Sounding exactly like the album versions, with so much juggling of instruments (the stage tech was constantly handing off and setting up gear). The drummer was fantastic and kind of sounded like Phil but who cares he played his ass off and sang at the same time.

They did a mix of 70s era songs (they started out with some from Trick and Wind), and my god they did them well. I was really hoping for "Watcher of the Skies", but they ended with an encore of "The Musical Box", and slayed it. The section of Lamb songs was just magical.

Do not hesitate to go see them, even if you only kind of like Genesis. Describing them as a cover band is wrong. They are so much greater than that.

"Mike Rutherford" was really impressive, playing his double-neck and when he played the 12-string rhythm parts, he carried on with the bass on a Moog Taurus (or something with his feet). "Tony Banks" was incredible, and had a large arsenal of keys.

Go see them if you have the chance.

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Here's a taste of the tour (not my video) from last fall. You tell me if they are just a covers band.

Rufus rag likes this.
  4. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I’ve seen them do the Foxtrot, Selling England, Lamb and Trick tours multiple times.
    They are absolutely fantastic.

5. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

I saw them live in three separate occasions, over a decade back.

Granted, I'm thirty five, which is just another way of saying I never got to see the original band, but these guys were marvellous.

6. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

That would have been Martin Levac, who is actually right handed but taught himself to play left handed to make it look more authentic.

LivingForever and Rufus rag like this.
  7. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

8. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

caught them last night in SF for the Extravaganza Part 2 tour; missed Part 1 last year. It was good, but not quite as good as the Selling England tours, and certainly not as good as the Lamb tour (which I hope they bring back). Part of it is that Denis breaks character, which is understandable; but then some of them are def 'in' character, so it's all a bit of a weird experience. They also had some technical problems I'd not seen before, but on the whole, an entertaining night. The big plus was bringing out the fox and dress for the Musical Box rather than the old man mask.

Hep Alien and hi_watt like this.
  9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I saw them last night in Toronto. I hadn’t bothered since Levac had left, but their new guy, Bob St.Laurent is bloody fantastic. Just a killer show.

polchik and Ryan Lux like this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Saw their Lamb show. It was great.

The Cat 3 likes this.
  11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

What are the visuals like for this tour? Just wondering since they're not recreating a single stage show, unlike most of the TMB tours.

12. peteham

peteham Senior Member

A bit of animation, and some cool graphics. Plus, some nifty lights. I hadn’t seen them in so long, I wasn’t paying attention too closely to the visuals. My eyes were locked on their new drummer.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I'd be interested in reading a comparison between The Musical Box and the original 5-man Genesis, from someone who has seen both bands in concert. NOT seen on a DVD or YouTube or something. Actually seen both, in the flesh.

14. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Not True, I saw twice the Trick Of the Tail Tour , last time on their extravanganza tour , they were playing tunes from Trick + Wind and Wuthering + all the others from Revelation 2 revelation ---->The Lambs.

Saw them about 10 times in my life, I dont think , if Genesis with Peter gabriel would regroup today that they can outshined these guys.

15. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I saw them do Foxtrot, SEBTP, LLDOB and TotT. They were all great. Seems as they got older they have gained some weight. The guy that plays Rutherford has really got big. If you look at the old videos of Genesis, they were quite skinny. The guy that plays PG has also gained weight as well. Lol

16. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I normally don't much like tribute acts but this is something else.

polchik and Rooster_Ties like this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Rutherford always gave me the impression of being skinny. Was that the case, or does he just look skinny because he's tall?

18. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i saw them a few years ago on their 'selling ....' tour, and i enjoyed it, but was kind of taken aback by how note perfect they were, thinking, genesis never played their songs that way live etc etc.... but then my bud, who i went with, comped me a ticket to their extravaganza2 tour (they played toronto on jan 10), and even though they went outside of the gabriel era, i actually really REALLY enjoyed it, even though after hollering very loudly for 'hogweed' as an encore, they played .... supper's ready ..... LOL ...... which was of course, FANTASTIC.

just to hear all these songs LOUD at concert volume ..... i even teared up for some reason when they played 'ripples', a song i've liked but haven't really listened to much in the last 20 years ... it was just so beautiful to hear it played so loud and so well.

i can't remember for sure, but i think they opened with 'dance on a volcano' .... moog bass pedals at concert volume !! lol

i really don't go for cover bands, but as others have stated, this is something special.

and i will TOTALLY be going to see them do their 'lamb ....' tour, which they announced they will do again, next year .....

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Musical Box puts on an excellent concert.

20. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

For my own amusement I strung together in a continuous medley all the recordings I have of the Musical Box's renditions of the Genesis repertoire.

It runs from 1969 (A Place to Call My Own) through to 1978 (Down and Out), taking in 4/6 Trespass tracks, 4/7 Nursery Cryme, all of Foxtrot, all of Selling England except More Fool Me, all of the Lamb, and most of Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering (if we count the instrumental sections only from some of the songs), the aforementioned song from And Then There Were Three, plus Happy the Man and Twilight Alehouse.

Varying quality but that's pretty good coverage of (what IMHO) is the classic era Genesis.

Hep Alien, anduandi and Kristofa like this.
  21. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

There are a handful of tribute acts that have really impressed me over the years. The Dark Star Orchestra (back when John Kadlecik was in the band), The Straits, Australian Pink Floyd, and, especially, The Musical Box were all terrific. I caught The Musical Box a little over six years ago when they were performing the Selling England By the Pound tour set: Watcher of the Skies, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, The Cinema Show, I Know What I Like, Firth of Fifth, The Musical Box, Horizons, The Battle of Epping Forest, and Supper's Ready (plus The Knife as an encore).

Hep Alien, polchik and Rufus rag like this.
  22. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

Just saw The Musical Box play Genesis’ The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway two nights ago and loved it. Being from the prog hotspot Montreal (like the band themselves) i grew up with this music. One of my first concerts was Genesis in ‘78 so i never got to see the Gabriel version. This was a treat! These guys have been at it for years and have not only had the endorsement of Genesis themselves but had been invited to the band’s studio to hear how the band originally worked out how to play the whole album in concert. AND they are using Genesis’ own original slide show that accompanied the show! AND Phil has even sat in with them! So you know you’re getting as real a deal as one could ask for. The Lamb is one of my all time favourite albums and one of the great prog works of all time so to sit in a theatre and experience the show just as the boys toured it in 1975 is a fabulous event. I took my 8 year old daughter which made it extra special. The canadian leg of their Lamb tour is done and they’re in California as i write this and then off to New York and such before heading over to Europe. Go see this show if you can!

altaeria, Old Fred, Rufus rag and 3 others like this.
  23. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident

24. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

They are absolutely amazing. Even make the Bootleg Beatles look like half-arsed amateurs...

Kaptain Beyond, hi_watt and altaeria like this.
  25. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I've seen them twice for the "Foxtrot" and "Selling England.." shows and they were amazing. I got chills when they started playing those unmistakable opening chords to "Watcher of the Skies". It brought me right back to seeing Genesis in NYC on the "Selling England.." tour. I think it was at the Felt Forum in Madison Square Garden.

Kaptain Beyond, anduandi and hi_watt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.