The mysterious appeal of outtakes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Mojo7575

Mojo7575 Forum Resident

In general, I do believe that the best version of a song found its way onto the finished album, almost universally true. I have invested a lot in re-issues, deluxe versions and box sets, but I can only find handful of out-takes that are superior to what was issued. But then there are some nuggets that make the collecting of music all worthwhile again:
    • Buffalo Springfield box set: Neil Young demo "There Goes My Babe" - a beautiful snippet of a song that confirms what talent Neil was, going way back.
    • Who's Next: bonus tracks featuring the great Leslie West adding a bit of heaviness to the proceedings.
    • Eric Clapton: Slowhand has the haunting out take "Looking at the Rain" - a Gordon Lightfoot song.
    • J.J. Cale: Collected featured the unreleased gems "Durango" and "If I had me a Dollar"
    • Jethro Tull's 20-year boxset: BBC broadcast "Stormy Monday" - a killer early blues cover by Tull.
    My music filing system is a mess, so this is all I can come up with, but I know there is more.

2. Mr. Pither of Cornwall

Mr. Pither of Cornwall Forum Resident

Part of the appeal of outtakes for me is how angry they make many of you. Jiminy crickets, you'd think someone was holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy and listen to them.

Idiot Wind is probably the greatest outtake I've ever heard. I can't stand the version that made it onto Blood on the Tracks, but the one on Blood on the TAPES is sublime.

Led Zep's In the Light with the alt intro and lyrics? Amazing.

Towser's demos? Gimme.

If I'm a fan of the officially released versions, I want to hear what led up to them. Fascinating and revealing.

Love,
    Billy ❤️

3. Tom Stigler

Tom Stigler Speeds From 33.3 to 500 RPM, Depends on Artist

"And then there's a third thing: sometimes for a super-fan it's the slight variation that's the key. You've got the iconic version memorized, imprinted on your brain, through thousands of listens. There are no surprises left, no new information to be gleaned. An outtake, no matter how slight and inferior, gives you a new and fresh moment with your loved one.​

I think you summed it up pretty well, sir.

I know the music I love, but to hear it actually being created is the closest I’ll get to a time machine.

First takes, outtakes, mistakes, and alternate takes -I love them all IF I love the original master version.

Cledwyn likes this.
  4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think some people like outtakes for the same reason they enjoy watching bloopers from movies and TV shows. Or watching a figure skater fall down and get back up without losing the smile. A comforting reminder that even famous people are fallible, so there's hope for us all.

Tom Stigler likes this.
  5. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

There’s an alternate universe appeal to much if it…and the slight differences add up to a musical Mandela effect: hey wait …”you’ve changed your place in this world” sounds different now on “Talk of the Town”!

6. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

The reasons I love outtakes include:

1. They provide a 'fresh' alternative version (or alternate versions) of a track I've listened to tens, or even hundreds, of times previously.

2. They often provide studio chatter at the beginning or end, which is cool to hear.

3. The less developed / early stage ones have fewer instruments and overdubs, so I can hear the basic / backing track instruments much more clearly.

4. The less developed / early stage ones often have no vocals. I like instrumental versions of my favourite tracks.

5. The less developed / early stage ones often provide 'live in the studio' versions of tracks, some of which may not have been performed live in concert.

6. They're typically less polished than the final tracks. I like a few rough edges.

7. The sound quality is often much better than the finished track due to lack of overdubbing / bouncing / compression.

The 'Sessions, Outtakes and Jams' disc in The All Things Must Pass Super Deluxe Edition is an excellent example of a set of outtakes that meets most of the above criteria.

:)