The myth of Brian Jones creating The Rolling Stones.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I've never meet one of these people and I'm 72. Brian has always had a rep for being a spoiled pr**k, even way back in the day. But as others have said, who cares? My sister wasn't dating the guy.

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:laugh:

Comaboy likes this.
  3. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

LOL. Well put. He lurks.....

Comaboy and dsdu like this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

How about the minute they stepped foot on US shores in June 1964? When they performed their first single, "Not Fade Away", Brian played those great licks on the incredibly cool dual harmonicas. On record, listen to I'm a King Bee, with Jones on slide, from their debut. The blues heart and soul was apparent from day one, at least to me. I can't believe that others can't see/hear it.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The B-side of "Not Fade Away" in the US was a Lennon-McCartney composition, "I Wanna Be Your Man". Brian on slide and bg vocals.

One thing worth mentioning is that the video you linked to "Around and Around" is not a good example of the relative contributions of the guitarists. Basically, on the dozen or so Chuck Berry songs that the Stones have covered, Keith is always the dominant guitarist, because he was always Chuck's guy. That was true throughout the Jones, Taylor and Wood periods.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Comaboy likes this.
  6. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Ok now we know which are the songs where Brian feels the most. But too little , especially at the beginning. I still think 80% of all guitar work
    falls on Keith's shoulders.

He was a great arranger, a curious musician who tried to vary the sound of the stones. A charismatic character but in my opinion as regards the executive musical contribution to his instrument is very lacking. I guess on "I'm goin Home" it doesn't even sound. And 'a very important piece on the timbre of the guitar.

Comaboy likes this.
  7. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

Brian Jones is falooping awesome, and was cool enough to piss off Jagger and Richards. They still seem a little intimidated by his ghost to this day, which I find kind of badass. They didn’t go to his funeral which gives Brian the eternal victory as far as “way cooler and less of a piece of garbage” in my book.

For me, 60s Stones is >>>>>> 70s Stones as a whole, but I’m not sure how integral Jones is to that. He’s part of it for sure, but I think the competition with the artsy songwriting of the Beatles has more to do with Jagger and Richards’ rise to the art pop occasion on albums like Aftermath and Satanic Majesties. I do think he brought a musicianship and instrumental creativity - sitars, exotic instruments and the like - that was sorely lacking following his death. But he was also fading so far into the background by the time of his departure that it’s impossible to forge a narrative around his absence sending them off course of where they “could have gone.”

Wait; what was the question?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
    showtaper, Comaboy, Tim S and 6 others like this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hell, he only played very simple melodies on those instruments. It's not as if he was a John Coltrane, a Hendrix or even a Dr. John or a ...Mick Taylor.
    However, what Jones did on those instruments certainly added colour to Mick and Keith's music and saved the band a lot of cash by them not having to bring in session musicians (to play those simple little melodies).

Man at C&A, Comaboy, Tim S and 4 others like this.
  9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

Aaahhh! The usual “He was better and more talented than them”. “They didn’t go to his funeral”.
    For one: Jones was a mediocre musician like they all were. He had a talent of creating on various instruments, but all those parts are very basic played and that includes his slide-guitar parts. People forget that.

Secondly: Mick Jagger couldn’t go to funeral as he was under contract for filming in Australia.
    Keith does not and has never attended funerals, not even his own family.

Third: They thought of him as a ego-centred jerk. They didn’t like him. Plain and simple.
    Jones had let them down too many times, by not showing up, getting stoned during studio sessions and missing concerts.
    No wonder they just caried on. He was dead weight.

Comaboy, Jerjo, Dudley Morris and 2 others like this.
  10. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Unless No Jones, No Stones refers to the name only, that would be accurate :cool:

Comaboy likes this.
  11. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

like...why do you care so much? Dude has been dead for over 50 damn years. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing seeing someone get so hung about something so irrelevant to today. The story has been written and finished years ago, just move on and enjoy the music.

12. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Just throw this on and enjoy the music. They all created it in some capacity.
    [​IMG]

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

N.b. Jagger had little choice to attend the funeral as he was under a firm contract to be in Australia when Brian's funeral was to be held.

N.b. I note @MHP has mentioned Mick's scenario.

As for Keith's recent comments from the Crossfire Hurricane DVD they are pretty lame, no doubt he and/or Anita harboured some guilt and had zero affinity with his family to boot.
    Anita also was heavily pregnant and IIRC had just broken her collarbone.

Comaboy and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  14. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Yes, 7 June 1969

Richards was thrown from the car, escaping injury, while Pallenberg -- who was seven months pregnant -- sustained nothing more serious than a broken collarbone.

When Keith Richards Crashed His Mercedes Convertible

Comaboy and All Down The Line like this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

This is the same guy who made a thread about Mick’s two solo tracks released digitally a couple years back and got pouty because everybody was slamming those songs. You’re surprised he pouts about Brian being credited with forming and initially leading the band?

Never mind that Brian’s time as leader didn’t even last that long, or that the band clearly did just fine for themselves in the long run, and Mick and Keith clearly get their due just by virtue of being Mick and Keith.

Comaboy likes this.
  16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The Kinks was Dave’s band before Ray joined. Can we fight over that, too please?

17. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Love that the guy with Syd Barrett in his profile pic is minimizing Brian Jones’s role in the stones. Cause you know Roger Waters and David Gilmour really needed to shed the dead weight that was the creative spark of Pink Floyd that got them to the next level.

Comaboy and GimiSomeTruth like this.
  18. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

You’re really coming off like a prick. Brian Jones had spark. He was interesting and cool, and a better person than Mick Jagger and Keith Richards - both of whom I love but are slimy pieces of garbage with no values. And don’t make excuses for them missing his funeral after they cut him out of his own band.

Why don’t you go listen to Sticky Fingers and get off me for replying to your petty biased prompt.

19. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Remember when they had a monument put up in their hometown that said they (Jagger/Richard’s) founded the band and Bill Wyman called them out? This thread is so ridiculous. They have always been intimidated by him and have dragged him down for decades even though he’s properly dead. Cause missing his funeral and stealing his girl wasn’t enough.

Enablers like you online slobbing their knobs are really just a distraction to the main point.

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

“Stealing his girl”: Myth. She ran away because he beat her and abused her. No excuse.

The plate on the train station: Not incorrect. They “went on to form” the band as it’s stated. They teamed up with Brian, who was together with Ian Stuart. Nobody said they did it alone. It’s a plate. Come down. Bill Wyman is just bitter.

The funeral - further details: Anita was pregnant and Keith was just coming off a car accident. And again, doesn’t attend funerals as a rule. Jagger was under contract for filming.
    What more do you want?
    Make a whole film crew in Australia wait?
    Make Keith attend despite being involved in an accident as well as violent his own premise about not attending funerals, just because some fans 50 years down the line would see it being appropiate? Jeez…

Again: Brian Jones did NOT start the band alone. It’s a myth started by Bill Wyman who wasn’t even there when it started. Brian, as his letter shows, teamed up with Mick and Keith who was running their own group as well.

So, if I’m coming off like a prick, then I at least do it with my facts straight, instead of some hopeless Brian Jones-worshipping-fanboy.

21. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Brian and Keith were close until they came back from a trip to Morocco in February 1967

.... Jones confronted Pallenberg,
    who bitterly admitted her feelings for Richards, sending Jones into a full blown meltdown.

[​IMG]
    (What about your five children with five different women, Brian? "Values" ? )

The Rolling Stones Fateful Trip to Morocco.

22. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

first of all let me tell everyone on this thread who has got a problem with my basic statement of facts that they can kiss my whole ass. I really don’t care. Brian Jones founded the Stones. Sorry. It’s a fact. No he wasn’t a songwriter but songwriting isn’t everything and he was the original leader of the group. Mick and Keith don’t *seem* to love that narrative.

23. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

I would less call these facts and more hair splitting editorializations to promote a biased thread you yourself created.

here are some facts:

- Jones named the band and was it’s original leader

- Jones had a talent for blues playing and an interest in exotic instruments that made the group more interesting prior to his departure

- Keith Richard’s dated Jones’s ex. I don’t care what the circumstances are. Maybe your values but not mine

- Jagger and Richard’s did not attend his funeral after maliciously kicking him out of his own band that he HAD A HAND in founding.

these are all facts man. You wanna dispute without telling me “actually this is ok because reasons”? I don’t give a **** what anyone thinks of me on the Steve Hoffman boards. I love Brian Jones flaws and all. No he wasn’t the whole band. But he added something interesting. And Jagger was jealous of him the same way he was jealous of Lennon and McCartney whom he bad mouthed through the 60s. Lennon himself talked about how two faced Jagger was in his 1970 rolling stone interview. They were competitive. It’s fine. They won. You’re good.

24. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Great. Hope this doesn’t happen to you. Xoxox

Comaboy likes this.
  25. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

That was one of my dreams
    To play guitar in a world famous rock band :)

Brian Jones was a gifted and talented multi-instrumentalist; he was comfortable playing any musical instrument.
    Jones expertly would play those instruments that weren't typical of a blues or rock and roll ensemble.
    Fact.

But ... who knows?

Comaboy likes this.