The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Seeing their BBC In concert set makes the current state of CN so sad and petty...

Speaking of, apparently Stills was also there, with them in BBC studio while filming, but was banned from performing because of some union regulation...

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

So it was just like John bringing Yoko into the studio..............kinda? "Hey, this is Jeff, he's in the band now?"
    Crosby at his arrogant best/worst.

3. Les Nougat

Les Nougat Forum Resident

The song is called Road of Plenty and is an early version of Eldorado. It sounds great with the mighty Buffalo Springfield rhythm section driving it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Let me correct my narrative from the book ... if I'm going to quote from it I should have it in front of me instead of going by memory when I'm in a hurry trying to get cleaned up from the gym and get to work.

1. Pevar was around at a CSN show. That's when he approached Stills to introduce himself, and got high-hatted.

2. At that show, C&N invited Pevar to join them on one of their duo songs. Pissed Stills off and he said, on mike, "I guess I'm fired now?"

3. Crosby was behind bringing in Pevar after that to join the CSN touring band. THAT is when Pevar dropped in on Stills and they jammed for seven hours and came to somewhat of an understanding to where they could co-exist, although they never became best buds and it certainly was not a Stills/Young kind of dynamic.

Hep Alien and carlwm like this.
  5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

with a pointless apples to oranges comparison? nah

6. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Yeah that all makes sense too.

Perhaps it’s the wrong impression, but I always got the feeling that there was an unhealthy sort of “friends with benefits” dynamic between NY and the rest of CSN. Neil coming and going as he pleases, the other three dropping what they’re doing as soon as he comes calling. Financially it might have been a necessity, but that had to feel demeaning to the other three after a while - especially Stills with the whole “eat a peach” incident. Or the lyrics to “Thrasher” - most adults would call that “burning a bridge.”

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

When did I say I was happy about Furay anything? The answer is never. I don't know him and you don't either. Obviously, he doesn't get your checkmark in your pre-approved box for "appropriate" viewpoints or feelings of celebrities. I get it. I think it just touched a nerve with me. Sorry to get ya riled up.

8. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

In the Browne book, there's a bit about CSN in the studio in 1976, working on the "CSN" album. Neil stops by. He and Stephen have made their peace about the Stills-Young Band fiasco. CSN are working on the song "Shadow Captain" and the way Browne presents it, they're acting like little puppy dogs seeking Neil's approval on it. And when he said he loved it, it was like he scratched all their bellies they were in such bliss.

9. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

The Stills/Young dual Guitars in Buffalo Springfield were often Great, almost no recorded evidence, I witnessed several shows. CSNY was not the same, actually better during the 1999-2000 tour. The 9 minute Bluebird was a rough unfinished Overdubbed tape. However, the magic of Stills/Young playing together when ON, is like nothing else!

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That's a mental picture. Chubby Crosby laying on his back, Neil scratching the belly and Croz's leg shaking.

11. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

ROFLMAO

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Your insights appreciated as from One Who Was There. However, I wonder why they couldn't rekindle that the times I saw them. Actually the 'jamming' was much less impressive than the songs they sounded liked they actually practiced.

I always liked what Neil brought to this song:

snepts, MoonPool, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  13. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

The jamming was one thing they had, but the Blending of their unique distinctive styles, and respect for each other, is what matters the most.

Hep Alien, MikeM and JoeRockhead like this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Ken, I enjoyed your Springfield Box set notes. Any thoughts on or plans to read the new CSNY biographies?

15. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Another tidbit from the Browne book ... CSN were in upstate New York working on the songs for the first album. John Sebastian had guided them there, told them they needed to get out of LA, away from the hangers on.

Anyway, John S. was hanging around the studio, started joining them on vocals while actually keeping time on the drums. The others said, "You know, what if we added him to sing the low harmony ... ."

They mulled it around for a day and John S. finally said, "Thanks but no thanks," and told Browne, "I really dodged a bullet."

But just imagine what CSSN would've been like, LOL!

16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Neil does what none of the others do, he goes into a zone.

painted8 likes this.
  17. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

a favorite of mine. what a groove.

( f'n drugs, man ) i can hear 'em.

janschfan likes this.
  18. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I think that verse in Thrasher is about the Eagles. :D

19. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

that's neils' strength. hanging beautifully upon "one" note. still's "strengths" while complementary when they played together, were ( to my ears ) more multi varietal. still's was the blues guy.

but i would never "pit" one against the other. i was fortunate enough to see them both playing as a kid hanging around barry friedman's and paul rothchilds house which was two houses away from mine.. this while BS was still an ongoing entity.

while i "favored" stills ( still do ) there is no "one" of the two that is "better" than the other. i feel the same still(s).

MoonPool, Jon H., DTK and 3 others like this.
  20. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Hippie Dream also

21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Let me put your mind at ease…I'm not the least bit "riled up."

Nor did I ever say you were "happy about Furay anything." I just said it was your right to feel that way if you choose — the same right I have to feel otherwise. You need to read a little more carefully.

As for "appropriate viewpoints," I also said I take in interest in others' viewpoints regardless of whether they musicians, celebrities or ordinary folks. Happily, I'm guaranteed this right. And fortunately, I don't need your approval to do so.

Yeah, I'd say it did "touch a nerve" with you. You seem to be the one who's "riled up."

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Charlie Watts is the antithesis of the diva-like, ego maniacal rock star.

Rickchick, keyXVII, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  23. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

Thank You! Yes, I plan to read both.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yeah, definitely sounds made up, designed to illustrate the perceived differences between the two from the POV of someone who favors Neil and values emotion over technique. I mean, if Neil was playing such a hot solo, why would anyone in the audience focus on Stills' facial expressions?

DTK likes this.
  25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

That seems like kind of a weak argument against the story. I don't ever recall going to see a band where I was so totally focused on one member the entire time, without let-up, that I didn't manage to look at what others were doing too. Plus, if the story did emanate from the Buffalo Springfield days, it's likely the stage area was relatively small, so viewing more than one member at a time wouldn't be difficult.

Nor do I think the story was meant to disparage Stills. Speaking for myself, I appreciate what both he and Young can do guitar-wise. To me, the story just highlights the differences in their respective approaches.

I heard the story decades ago, so I'm recreating the nature of it, but after all this time I'm not telling it word-for-word. My sense of it was that the essence of Stills' expression was one of admiration; i.e., "Wow, that's amazing!" as opposed to "You prick!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.