The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I didn't think you related the anecdote to disparage Stills, but it may originally have been constructed to serve to that purpose, considering the amount of bad will towards him in the 1970s.

And again, I think the story strains credibility. Yes, it might have been a small venue, but then you would still have had to be right up front in order to see facial expressions and gestures. And I still don't understand why anyone in the front row would have been looking at Stills so intently while Young was playing a jaw-dropping solo.

2. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the purposes of bringing this thread back to its origins, I would like to note that I do give Nash a lot of credit for being a great friend to Crosby for many years. He stood by him many times when things were getting ugly for the Croz in the early-mid-80's and helped him get back on his feet financially after he was released from prison. I can understand to some degree that he might have become exasperated at some points with David's behavior.

However, David wrote two different autobiographies detailing different periods of his life and I don't recall a single instance of Crosby dragging out any of Nash's personal skeletons to spice up either of HIS books. Nash's may have not been salacious enough to excite anyone (drug use, womanizing...pro-forma rock-star behavior), but the point is that Crosby didn't sell out Nash's personal life like Nash did Crosby's just to fire up a book for extra attention and sales. Nash shouldn't have had to ask Crosby to review the text prior to publishing. If Graham is such a stand-up person, he shouldn't have decided to regurgitate the worst aspects of Crosby's ancient history in his book in the first place.

3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Crosby’s story was so much a part of Nash’s story. I don’t see how the Nash side of events could be avoided in an autobiography. Those guys were joined together, and Nash was in the role of trying to help Crosby for years. That is his story as much as it’s Crosby’s.

jammincrowe, csnfan and bonus like this.
  4. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

5. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

This is why I could care less about someone's private life. I say "Let the music do the talking"! Once they are off that stage, their life is their own. I don't need to know about it.

BluesOvertookMe and Newton John like this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think a lot of people have this perception of Nash as some kind, well meaning centering point for CSN. A proverbial voice of sanity.
    This should dis-abuse them of that concept once and for all. This is going to be perceived as self centered ego posturing at its best.
    He'll be lucky if he ever sees his kids again. Almost everybody either has a bad divorce in their family or in heir circle and knows that the feelings are intense and the damage is everywhere. (If not, see Hackman's Twice in a Lifetime movie--not a storybook ending). I'd be curious if one of the kids decides to write a book about the absent father who decides in his 70's that he wants great sex.

7. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Nash's kids are adults, so what is the "absent father" quote all about? I think they're actually in their late 30's or early 40's, (the age of Nash's girlfriend, incidentally.) Sure, I get how they could be weirded out by dear ol' Dad squiring a woman young enough to be his granddaughter, but he had been married to their mother for close to 40 years... I call that a good run, especially for a musician! People fall out of love... it happens. Let the old man get his rocks off before he's 6 feet under.

RudolphS and Record Rotator like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm saying a kid could write a book about their childhood when their dad was only around occasionally, then get into the dirt of how he left the wife.
    I know of a situation in my circle where something similar happened (the new wife wasn't that much younger), and the adult children had problems with it for years afterword.
    What we don't know here, I guess, is the disposition of his new bride; maybe she's making an effort with his grown kids or maybe she could care less.
    I don't disagree that 40 years is good run for a musician.
    Someone here seemed to imply that Nash just walked out on his first wife to come to the US; is that true?

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Endless, pointless psychobabble like this made me stop visiting the Thrasher's Wheat site years ago.
    Only a non-musician would type something like that.

EwaWoowa, Spencer R, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  10. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

According to Nash from his autobiography that's exactly what he did. From what I've read in Crosby, Young and Nash's autobiographies Nash is no better than any of them (being self-centered, etc.), he's just better at hiding it, and putting on the good guy face; while being extremely judgmental of the others . Personally I find him whiny.

11. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

That wins doofy comment of the year.

12. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

That's the thing, right - as far as I know, Crosby hasn't publicly commented on Nash's divorce, has he?

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  13. CrawdaddySim1

Maybe Croz learned something from the Young dust-up.

Wright likes this.
  14. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

After all, he wasn't Mick Jagger's drummer, no, Mick Jagger was his singer :D

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

isn't that what started this whole mess?

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I agree, you post merits a face palm.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

No, I don't think so; rather, it seems to have to do with what Crosby has privately expressed to Nash.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes, about him leaving his wife susan.

followed right on the heels of crosby's poisonous predator comments about daryll hannah.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Frankly, I think Croz was right on both counts. Not that anyone would care.

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

According to Keef, Mick got punched out by Charlie for the where’s my drummer comment!

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

well, thankfully I never looked at CSNY as any kind of role models, though the irony of them singing about Peace and Love and Justice becomes ever sharper each year. Neil seems to have some (not enough imo) awareness of the damage he's done to people in his pursuit of the "Muse" which I guess even if this mysterious muse was feeding him great songs would still be questionable behavior. Other people manage to write good songs without ****ting on their friends. And that reoccuring behavior seems to be the gravitional center of Browne's book. It's just very sad.

Also, toward the end, Browne provides a fairly detailed description of the 2015 Christmas Concert blow up. Between Crosby's legitimate teleprompter misreading and Stills hearing challenges sooner or later something like that was going to happen, the manifestation of deeper problems. But these 3/4 guys so seldom lived up to their potential as functioning (or even semi-functioning) band that I think it's too late for them now. CSNYRIP

22. CrawdaddySim1

I still think that Stills' best band was Manassas. He didn't have to deal with warring egos--Chris Hillman seemed more than happy to fill the first lieutenant role, and he harmonized just fine--and judging by that first album, the band was capable of just about any style of music. It's the best collection of Stills' songs and examples of instrumental prowess. Neil was always an outlier and only used CSNY when he felt that he needed them... that's been well-established, and I don't fault him for it, as he was always the most talented one of the group, IMO. But he didn't add much to the collective... his two tracks on Deja Vu are basically solo numbers shoehorned in, and he didn't contribute much to the vocal blend. So that leaves Crosby and Nash, who probably needed CSNY the more than anyone, although they did some fine work as a duo. When all is said and done, 50 years is far too long to beat a dead horse... but that's probably just because they all happen to still be alive (amazingly.) Once Lennon was shot, the fever dream of a Beatles reunion finally broke.

Hep Alien, Hootsmon, A6mzero and 4 others like this.
  23. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

As noted way back up in this thread, I heard from someone who knows both him and Crosby that Susan hit him large in the bank account in the divorce settlement. Good for her, IMO.

I don't think Nash comes across as whiny as someone observed ... I think he comes across as just incredibly and utterly selfish, especially a couple of the quotes in Browne's book.

If that's OK with some folks ... hey, whatever floats your boat. I personally don't think selfishness is an admirable quality.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

This is a good analysis

Hep Alien and PRW94 like this.
  25. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

In the bull's eye on every count.

The first Manassas album was just killer ... donning Kevlar, much superior IMO to anything CSN(Y) did past the first album ... I have it on vinyl but I don't have anything to play vinyl on at present, I guess I need to break down and get the CD. :)

The MEZ and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.