The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

The first version I heard was the live acoustic version at the Hollywood Palace. I liked the studio version, but that acoustic version was the real CSNY. My hopes were unreasonably high.

Hep Alien, Ryan Lux and The MEZ like this.
  2. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Did CSN(Y) have any idea how BIG they would be? Seems the original “design” was rather loose, thus the lack of a ”band” name.

3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Hard to know for sure, but it's safe to say that when Nash first joined in with Crosby and Stills at that party, singing a high harmony part on "You Don't Have to Cry," they surely knew they had something very special that hadn't been there when it was just Stephen and David.

I'd like to think that the very real musical kick they got in that moment was the first thing they felt, as opposed to dollar signs immediately forming in their eyes. For everything you may justifiably say about the three of them and their subsequent behavior (Neil's as well), these guys were singers and musicians first who got a very genuine thrill out of what they were able to do together.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I kind of wonder how miraculous that first informal party session really was. Crosby and Nash talk about it being like being touched by the band of god, but they are generally full of s*** and masters of hyperbole. So I discount any account they provide.

Hep Alien and AveryKG like this.
  5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Based on my own experience as a musician, I would tend to credit their initial report.

I've been in many bands over the years, and suffered with plenty of musicians and singers who either didn't have it in them to make meaningful contributions, or just didn't give enough of a damn to put much effort into making them.

But when you get with people with real talent who do genuinely care, when things fall into place and you get something solid and good — it can be a very exhilarating experience.

Chris M, Simon A, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I have a feeling his 45 year streak of not writing good songs has something to do with it.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Just an alternative view but I reckon he's barely written a bad song over the last 45 years. He's maintained a consistently high standard, with his writing and his playing.

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Stills is a first ballot inductee in the toot hall of fame. Up there with Rick James,Mick Fleetwood and Marty Scorsese...not exactly insider knowledge. I'm not judging the guy....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    rollerball9000 and Fullbug like this.
  9. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I agree completely. Having been in bands myself it's an elevating feeling for all involved when it all comes together, it can amount to euphoria. With the complementing voices those three possess I can only imagine the smiles all around when Graham added his harmony on top of David and Stephen … there is plenty to doubt over the years but that event is not one of them imo.

keyXVII, Hep Alien and MikeM like this.
  10. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I prefer Horse-pee, Pills, Hash and Dung.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wonder what S, N and Y will say in the event C departs the mortal realm (which he seems to expect will happen in the netx few years).

12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Here's the performance I was referring to. I don't know how I managed to hear this before the album since getting the album on the release date would have been a necessity. Nonetheless, I think this is just great. The other American Dream tracks they played at this show also benefited from the stripped-down arrangements.

keyXVII, Hep Alien, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.
  13. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I've been slogging through this very enjoyable thread and of course have a ton of observations. I want to type this now (page 26) while I'm thinking about it.

When I first heard on NPR Graham's recounting of Croz's behavior with two women and the door open, rolling joints, etc., I was as stunned as anybody, but I'm starting to feel Nash conflated all of the possible worst aspects of David's behavior into something he would do regularly, and it doesn't pass the smell test. Seriously. Who, short of Caligula, would want to be serviced by two groupies and do all these other things simultaneously -- and with the door propped open? And for Nash to even want to "report" this is pretty damn skunky too, so I'm siding with Cros on this.

scousette, lambfan68 and Fullbug like this.
  14. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Not sure about this. I believe Stills had an alcohol problem, not a coke problem[/QUOTE]
    I always felt bad that a couple friends of mine saw Stills and said they would never see him again because he was drunk that night.
    So much for appreciating a real genius and cutting him some slack once in a while.
    Then again, they may have changed their minds more recently, as we grow a bit older and hopefully wiser.

Hep Alien and carlwm like this.
  15. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Hey, if something titled Super Session doesn't get you some limelight, what will?

ruben lopez likes this.
  16. Even in to much later years (like 1990s or early 200s) according to Sammy Hagar's book.

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Crosby on Fallon tonight!

Hep Alien and snepts like this.
  18. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think three is a decent chance that all four of them will have a date with the grim reaper sooner than later. And with Crosby still drawing breath after what he has lived through, he may unbelievably outlast the other three yet.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

too early on, he needed to a super session II in the mid 70's.

The MEZ likes this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I always felt bad that a couple friends of mine saw Stills and said they would never see him again because he was drunk that night.
    So much for appreciating a real genius and cutting him some slack once in a while.
    Then again, they may have changed their minds more recently, as we grow a bit older and hopefully wiser.[/QUOTE]

The Stills concert I went to, on his Man Alive tour, was one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. Despite the common rumour that his voice had gone, he sang brilliantly and his guitar playing was as sublime as ever. He played acoustically solo for all but the last song of the first half (a magnificent Suite: Judy Blue Eyes) and had a full band for the rest of the evening.

Must have had at least half a dozen standing ovations over the course of the evening.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

stills has never put on tape the magnificent abilities has has on guitar, both electric and acoustic.

his "duel" with neil young on 'southern man" on "4-way street" is simply wonderful. i could listen to that for hours, both of them were just flaming on that song. he also did a tremendous job on 'almost cut my hair" from the rock hall concerts, although i c doubt many have ever heard it even though it is out there.

and acoustically. he does an acoustic solo on 'crossroads' from the CSN acoustic tour from years ago that is mind-boggling to say the least. i think it can only be found on a boot r the video, sadly.

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It's like they're four children who all needed a time out.

Hep Alien and The MEZ like this.
  23. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

friedman brothers(high times)

[​IMG]

ruben lopez, kwadguy and Hep Alien like this.
  24. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

I understand that they are all singing live around a single mic so the individual voices aren’t as defined. I often find it hard to hear Croz in CSN(Y) harmonies but that’s because of where he positions his vocal line in the blend- part of his unique sensibility.

MikeM likes this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He's generally the guy singing the part nobody else would ever have come up with

anth67, zobalob, keyXVII and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.