The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

ahhhhh.....those "flowers power" people....!!!!!

2. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

They're human beings who take leaks and craps and put their pants on one leg at a time like any other schmoe, regardless of how artistically talented they may be. It's why I don't put any of them ... not just CSNY, but any entertainer/actor/musician/artist ... on pedestals because of what they do instead of who they are.

3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I agree completely. And although I was certainly swept up in the initial CSN(Y) mania, and lived with and performed many of those songs (and still do) — in fact, I like all four members' predecessor bands more, and it's those bands (plus Neil solo and with Crazy Horse) that I listen to again and again.

Without reference to chart success, I have long made a similar argument about the notion of Nash leaving The Hollies for more "mature" or progressive pastures being a little suspect — although I make it with a different musical example.

It's not that any of Nash's songs on the first two CSN(Y) albums are bad, but beyond "Teach Your Children," which has endured in its own way, most of them are actually quite lightweight. Meanwhile, his old friend Allan Clarke responded on the Hollies Sing Hollies album with three songs of great emotional depth: "My Life Is Over with You," "Marigold/Gloria Swansong" and "Goodbye Tomorrow." None of Nash's initial CSN(Y) songs can hold a candle to any of these.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Probably like he was a superior and more enlightened human being than they were and justifiably so. Cant see how giving someone the gift of a child could be equated to breaking marriage vows.

5. teag

teag Forum Resident

That’s not the point. I’m not saying who is right or wrong. It’s the public criticism that is the issue. I just used this as an example. Not everyone would agree with his actions. But he repeatedly mouths off about everyone else’s actions.

6. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Wait...Ogden and Bing are still feuding? Bummer...

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Croz has certainly been the target of a large amount of more than rude public criticism by McGuinn ("the other end of the horse") but has consistently remained enthusiastic about collaborating with him, though of the two Crosby is by far the bigger name and draw.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  8. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

The David Crosby show I saw last year was the best concert I attended in 2018...and, I got to see Todd R. with Utopia in 2018...so, that is saying a lot coming from me.

9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Being married a long time makes one a good guy?

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Croz has said several times over the last year that he regrets what happened, has apologized, and would love to see CSNY, or at least CSN reunite one more time before they're all dead. Sure, money is probably one incentive but as others have pointed out I think he's a very good place right now, has calmed down some, has seen late life career critical success, and is ready to move on. I for one hate holding grudges so when other's do it, especially at the ages that they all are, it's puzzles me.

Life really is too short. Hopefully they all realize that soon.

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think one other album, 1977's CSN , approached greatness, but misses it. But Nash 's "Just a Song Before I Go" was a pretty big hit.
    But I agree--drugs and ego definitely " kept them from being consistently great.

12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Well, it sounds like--for better or worse--Nash has realized this.....

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

These Crosby, Stills and Nash threads of late are about the equivalent of a Jerry Springer episode. Plenty of disfunction with a major dose of emotional trauma...……...they sure are fun to read.

14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I don't have any interest in hearing those guys sing their old hits. I think it would be nice if Crosby & Nash were able to reconcile on a personal level. They had been best friends for 45 years.

I can imagine Nash having a nice vocal on some of those new Crosby songs. The Crosby-Nash vocal blend probably still holds up. But I don't think there is much reason to long for a creative reunion. They are probably doing better work separately than they can do together in any combination.

15. tages

tages Senior Member

Too right - they are right up there with the best as far as I’m concerned.

16. tages

tages Senior Member

I love Graham’s songs but I completely agree with you. The whole Hollies/CSN situation is very ironic.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Several very good songs on his solo debut, "I Used To Be King" is great, IMO.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they need to grow up, oh wait, they are...rich rocks! LOL...what happened to peace and luv? david? graham?

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's what true love does for you...no matter how things suck they have each other...so nice to see rock stars still married after all these years!

20. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

It's always race and sex with that guy; an obnoxious bigot. Had him on ig for a while now.

Like another poster wrote, this thread is Christmastime to update his ig list.

As for Croz & Co, I like them pretty good.

21. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

as much as I like Evolution and Butterfly, Distant Light is my favorite Hollies album, recently got into Romany, still need to check out "He Ain't Heavy" (familiar with the title track but that's it)

22. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Roger and David get along very well on Twitter.

Gratefully Deadicated and PRW94 like this.
  23. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Certainly but Roger also has been quoted that he won’t work with David for moral reasons, Roger now being a conservative evangelical Christian.

24. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

He is very approachable on Twitter.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

David favored getting the Byrds back together long before he had cash issues. He was rich enough to buy the name from Michael Clarke and hold onto it without using it just in case Chris and Roger ever wanted to reunite and use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.